movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: movies

Post by Flex »

I believe Beaneater is a fan of the film. Or at least of shouting "Wolverines!"

Addendum: a so dumb/bad-its-fun kinda movie for me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Night Tide (1961) Dennis Hopper is an off-duty sailor, hanging around the Santa Monica Pier and falling in love with a pretty girl, who plays the mermaid at the carnival freakshow. Here's the bad news, the cops have an eye on her, because more than one of her past boyfriends have turned up dead. Here's the worse news, her guardian, an old captain who runs the freakshow claims that he rescued her as a child....a MERMAID CHILD, and that she can't control her homicidal urges! My 3rd watch of this Curtis Harrington masterpiece. (SHUDDER)

Nightmare City (1980) A mysterious planeload of blood-drinking rage-zombies land, takeover the airport, and soon the rest of the city. They bite, they stab, they shoot guns, they drive cars! No one is safe, not even the television taping of an aerobicize show. Most of the women get their tops pulled off before being killed. Some wonderful Italian sleaze from the great Umberto Lenzi. (Amazon Prime)

Whirlpool (1970) A model is lured to the home of a rich older woman to have her photos taken by her young nephew, and finds herself in a sex triangle. She’s willing, until she discovers that the young woman who was previously in her position is now missing! This cool erotic thriller was the first feature from the director of cult favorite Vampyres, José Ramón Larraz, and stars gorgeous Brit model Vivian Neves, who didn't have much of an acting career outside of this, and apparently was famous for being in motorcycle ads! (DVD)

Night of the Scorpion aka An Open Tomb... An Empty Coffin (1972) A new bride questions the death of the first one as she moves into a mansion full of crazy women. Lots of pretty ladies in this one, some nudity, it does take a while to get going. Director Alfonso Balcazar's resume is heavy on the spaghetti western, maybe that's where the cool alt title came from. (DVD)

The Bloodstained Lawn (1973) Any time an upper-class couple invites a pair of hippies, a drunk, a prostitute, and a gypsy for a weekend at their mansion, you know they have bad intentions. This one has sex & drugs, naked funhouse mirror dancing, silly sci-fi, a fantastic movie poster, and giallo queen Marina Malfatti. (DVD)

They/Them (2022) A group of teens are at a gay conversion camp, most of them not by choice. The team of counselors, led by Kevin Bacon, seem to have a pretty extreme curriculum. Oh yeah, there’s also a masked slasher in the woods. Not a fantastic slasher, but not boring either, the characters were OK, and this has a way worse rating than it deserves. (Peacock)

The Night Child aka The Cursed Medallion (1975) A documentarian making a film on Satanic art gives his daughter a necklace which makes her go wildly violent against the women she believes wish to replace her dead mother. Nicoletta Elmi, the red haired freckled girl in nearly every giallo film, gets her big starring role. This exorcist-inspired flick from the director of What Have Done to Solange is a bit slow on the action though, but does come through with a good ending. (TUBI)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So Tep did you see Infinity Pool?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 1:32pm
So Tep did you see Infinity Pool?
yes, i loved it. i usually post my reviews about a week behind

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Men (2022) Allegorical story of a woman trying to get away from it all and having some difficult run-ins with…men. From the writer/director of Ex Machina and Anihillation, and a huge gross-out finale. Just fine, I wouldn’t watch it twice. (Showtime)

Infinity Pool (2023) If you’re on vacation in a resort in a impoverished country, don’t leave the hotel. Brandon Cronenberg hits his 2nd home run in a row, and Mia Goth cements her legend. Fantastic movie. (Theater)

Knife of Ice (1972) Carroll Baker has been mute since a tragic accident involving her parents as a child. The visitation of a cousin seems to spark a string of murders around her. Carroll did four gialli in the early 70s with Umberto Lenzi, this one was loaded with suspects. I’m not sure I liked the ending, but a fun ride overall. (SHUDDER)

Hush…Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964) After the success of the Hagsploitation classic Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Robert Aldrich brings back Bette Davis, this time paring her Olivis de Havilland for a southern gothic thriller with a spectacular cast that included Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorhead, Mary Astor, Victor Buono, Bruce Dern, Cecil Kellaway and George Kennedy. Not as great as Baby Jane but still a lot of head-chopping fun. (TCM/cable)

Death Spa (1989) A Hi-Tec L.A. health club becomes the scene of several gruesome deaths. The owner’s recently deceased wife’s angry brother who runs all the gadgets from a control room appears to be an early suspect, but as the killings continue, they appear that they might be supernatural. Loaded with gore FX, nudity, and dripping of 80s. I saw this about 5 or 6 years ago and went nuts for it, a little less on the 2nd spin. (SHUDDER)

Modern Vampires (1988) Sort of an undead version of Pretty Woman, as Casper Van Dein and his group of upper class vamps rescue a vicious murdering young vamp, posing as a prostitute on the streets of Hollywood. Natasha Gregson Wagner, the real life daughter of Natalie Wood, plays the lead. More of a comedy than anything, and most of the humor comes from Rod Steiger as a descendant on Van Helsing, and the group of gangbangers he hires as vampire hunters. Also with Kim Cattrall, Udo Kier, Craig Ferguson, and Natasha Lyonne. From the writer-director combo of Matthew Bright (Freeway) and Richard Elfman (Forbidden Zone), both former members of Oingo Boingo, and score from brother Danny. And plenty of nudity. (Showtime)

The Killer Must Kill Again aka The Dark is Death’s Friend (1975) Giallo mainstay George Hilton witness a murder and blackmails the killer into taking care of his wife. During the deed, a young, thrill-seeking couple steal his car unaware there’s a body in the trunk! Big mistake, as the killer is now in relentless pursuit of the clueless pair. Antoine Saint-John is the killer, and he has just about the killer-est face you could imagine. Christina Galbo is the girl in peril, she’s in about as many top tier Itailan/Spanish movies as anyone. Directed by Luigi Cozzi, with a big nod to Hitchcock. (TUBI)

In Search of Darkness: Part III (2023) A five and half hour documentary focusing on the films of the 80s is loaded with titles, trailers, clips, and interviews. Standouts in this one are Dee Wallace and Caroline Munro. All three entries are fantastic. Incredibly long, but the time flew by. (SHUDDER)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 3:53pm

Infinity Pool (2023) If you’re on vacation in a resort in a impoverished country, don’t leave the hotel. Brandon Cronenberg hits his 2nd home run in a row, and Mia Goth cements her legend. Fantastic movie. (Theater)
So did that poor man really have to suckle at Mia's breast?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 4:28pm
tepista wrote:

anything for art, i guess

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 6:13pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:

I guess if I was getting paid...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 6:18pm
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:

Sort of begs the Brown Bunny question in this case...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 6:38pm
revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 6:18pm
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:

Sort of begs the Brown Bunny question in this case...
I'll do it for the art.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) Beautifully shot, surreal, coming-of-age story of a Czech girl and her dreamy encounters with vampires, witches and horny priests. Loaded with symbolism that I’m sure went right over my head, but what a pleasure to look at. This was a bucket list movie for me, so glad I saw it. (DVD)

The Beast’s Carnival aka Human Beasts (1980) Double-crossing your fiance over a diamond heist, getting left for dead by yakuza, and getting saved by a doctor with two horny daughters is such a Paul Naschy thing to do. Lots of gunfire-action in the first half, then we settle down with flesh-eating pigs later. Naschy writes, directs and stars in the Japanese/Spanish co-production. (TUBI)

The Lair (2022) A shot-down RAF pilot in Afghanistan barley escapes with her life when she crosses paths with underground humaniod teeth-monsters, and warns an American squadron of misfits that rescue her that they’re in terrible danger. I don’t think anyone expects Neil Marshall to reach Dog Soldiers/Descent level ever again, but not as unwatchable as a few reviews I’ve read. It plays out like a comic book, don’t expect a lot. (SHUDDER)

The Last Horror Film aka Fanatic (1982) Joe Spinell is a delusional NY cabbie who travels to the Cannes Film Festival to stalk the top horror actress in hopes of getting her to appear in his homemade movie. Meanwhile, horror filmmakers are dying brutal death, and the cops and press think it’s a gimmick! Caroline Munro is basically playing herself in the film, and is reunited with Spinell from the 1980 classic Maniac in this fun satire on idol worship and obsession. Director David Winters has a long resume, mostly as a choreographer with big-name rock and roll acts. All the Cannes scenes were shot guerilla style with no permit, and the movies loaded with beach babe extras showing skin. (TUBI)

Dawn of the Mummy (1981) Italian gore film with zombie characteristics, but with mummies instead. A group of New York fashion models shoot in a recently discovered tomb and wake the vengeful mummies that protect it. Slow and dull most of the way, no nudity, but in the last act the cannibalistic mummies crash a Cairo wedding and the guts fly. This is the 4th or 5th time I’ve seen this, I keep misremembering that there’s something of value here, there isn’t. (Freevee)

Two on a Guillotine (1965) Cesar Romero plays a world famous magician who leaves his estate to his estranged daughter (Connie Stevens) on the condition she stay there for seven nights to witness the return from the grave that he promised in his will. I think this was Warner Brothers trying to make their own version of House on Haunted Hill, and it had its share of entertaining moments, but it was 85 minutes worth of movie in a 107 minute package. (TCM/cable)

So Sweet… So Perverse (1969) A Frenchman begins an affair with the abused woman in the flat above him, and soon finds himself part of an assassination plot complete with double and triple crosses, in this early, giallo crime-thriller from Umberto Lenzi, that really gains steam in the final act. Carroll Baker and Erika Blanc are the mistress and wife, and supply a bit of nudity. (SHUDDER)

Zombi 3 (1988) Those boneheaded military scientists have done it again! A virus escapes the lab and it’s not too long before half of the Philippines has blue faces and green blood and are biting the other half. The main characters are American soldiers who were flirting with a camper full of girls when the plague broke out. Lucio Fulci is credited as director, apparently he left the project around halfway and Claudio Fraggaso and Bruno Mattei finished up. I would have sworn I’d seen this before, but no, this was a first-timer. (Midnight Pulp)

I tapped out around the 40 minute mark on Skinamarink, even though my brain checked out a good 20 minutes before that. Poorly lit shots of the interior of an apartment with no people for that long, sorry, just not for me. I hear there’s a terrifying climax with a toy phone, I guess I’ll never know.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tep, review?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:22am
tep, review?
I got tired of those SyFy/Asylum hybrid CGI genre in the mid 00s (Sharktopus, etc) but if you really want me to watch it I'll put it on my list. I mean, it;s not too much trouble, I watch 10 movies a week and 40% of them suck, so no big deal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 10:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:22am
tep, review?
I got tired of those SyFy/Asylum hybrid CGI genre in the mid 00s (Sharktopus, etc) but if you really want me to watch it I'll put it on my list. I mean, it;s not too much trouble, I watch 10 movies a week and 40% of them suck, so no big deal.
You're definitely in line to get Wolter's corner office. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft