movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 1:43pm
https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-ranked ... -grown-up/

What's funny is that I pretty much agree with the conclusions and rankings, tho I'll say that I hated Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when I first saw it.
Dogma might be the one I would willingly watch again.
We watched Dogma again maybe five years ago. It's fun and benefits from Smith's style of humour. Chasing Amy is also still pretty good. It's not a reflective or sensitive take on relationships and attraction, but it does aspire to be more than dick and fart jokes.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 2:46pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What's funny is that I pretty much agree with the conclusions and rankings, tho I'll say that I hated Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when I first saw it.
We watched Dogma again maybe five years ago. It's fun and benefits from Smith's style of humour. Chasing Amy is also still pretty good. It's not a reflective or sensitive take on relationships and attraction, but it does aspire to be more than dick and fart jokes.
I never saw Chasing Amy but I did see Clerks 2 or whatever it was called. Im a sucker for Rosario Dawson so that's my excuse.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 3:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 2:46pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I never saw Chasing Amy but I did see Clerks 2 or whatever it was called. Im a sucker for Rosario Dawson so that's my excuse.
I watched Clerks 2 when it was on a movie channel. God but it stunk. It confirmed to me Smith's arrested development. He's really stuck in 1997, and I imagine so are his ardent fans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We watched Dogma this evening. It's still enjoyable, lovably snarky work from a lapsed Catholic. Matt Damon in particular really seems to have fun with it all.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 12:05pm
Last Night in Soho (2021) A shy young lady (Thomasin McKenzie) goes to a fashion college in London and finds herself in a fantasy/dreamworld where she’s a beautiful aspiring pop singer (Ana Taylor-Joy) in the early 60s. Then it gets dark. With British veterans Diana Rigg and Terence Stamp. Great soundtrack and visuals from director Edgar Wright that grabs you pretty much from the start, maybe gets a bit muddled by the end. Good movie.
I liked Last Night In Soho, I kinda liked the twist at the end. Diana Riggs final movie (RIP).

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

The 355 (2022) CIA agent Mace (Jessica Chastain) wants revenge when her long time male partner is killed during an Op to retrieve a new computer device that can threaten the safety of the entire world. Getting the okay from the CIA she goes rogue with the help of a long time associate from MI6, together they join up with an agent from Germany and China. This has the scope of a Bond film, with lots of exotic locals, Paris, Morroco, China. The first part has a tv show feel to it, but it gets damn good. I was expecting an Ocean's 8 vibe which it has, but that last gun fight was awesome. Jessica Chastain was really selling her punches fighting one bad guy.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 10:49pm
tepista wrote:
Last Night in Soho (2021) A shy young lady (Thomasin McKenzie) goes to a fashion college in London and finds herself in a fantasy/dreamworld where she’s a beautiful aspiring pop singer (Ana Taylor-Joy) in the early 60s. Then it gets dark. With British veterans Diana Rigg and Terence Stamp. Great soundtrack and visuals from director Edgar Wright that grabs you pretty much from the start, maybe gets a bit muddled by the end. Good movie.
I liked Last Night In Soho, I kinda liked the twist at the end. Diana Riggs final movie (RIP).
My wife tore apart the plot at the end, it might have swayed me. We liked the first 2/3 of it quite a bit though!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Watched The Last Duel last night, I thought it was really-good-bordering-on-great. A Rashomon style medieval tale about the ways patriarchal social expectation can physically and spiritually ruin different people. The titular duel itself was also great. Visceral and discomforting, I can sort of see why Ridley Scott got salty at Danged Millenials for this turning into a massive box office bomb, even though that sort of complaint is too over the top to truly hold water. Hoping it finds a second life on video.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror (2021) a 3+ hour documentary that starts out covering "The Big Three" which are Witchfinder General, Blood on Satan's Claw, and The Wicker Man, then delves into some really deep titles, including episodic British TV from the 50s through the 80s, lots of International stuff, then some more recognizable titles, and on through the more recent wave. It took me four sittings to get through it. They showed clips from well over 100 titles, only a few of which I'd be interested in seeking out, but glad to know they all exist!

Il Demonio (1963) A peasant woman scorned by her lover casts a bewitching spell on him. In turn, she's is outcast and brutalized in her village, and eventually repents and receives and exorcism in the church. When that fails, she returns to her blasphemous ways. The beautiful Isreali model/actress Dalliah Lavi is outstanding as the lead, and she performs an effects-free spider walk 10 years before the Exorcist. The great Sergio Martino gets an Assistant Director credit, his brother Luciano produced and co-wrote. Italian with subs. This movie blew me away, dare I say masterpiece?

The Night House (2021) A widow looking for reasons her husband killed himself finds a lot more than that in this creepy, supernatural thriller from David Bruckner.

Titane (2021) A girl with a metal plate in her head who dances half naked on cars, has sex with cars, and goes on an unexplained homicidal terror. Then it gets weird. Weird in a good way. I preferred the first 30 minutes of the film, as it was action-packed, but the rest of it was pretty satisfying as well. Lots of nudity and strange bodily functions in this second feature from from Julia Ducornau, director of 2016's Raw.

Beyond Dream's Door (1989) Confusing plot about about a guy plagued by nightmares participating in a dream study at a university and the dreams come real...I don't know. Some good visuals in this low budget Ohio indie, with some decent gore and some nudity, but I was distracted. Only 80 minutes.

Winterbeast (1981) Some park rangers are missing and the Jaws-esqe resort owner won't close the mountain trails for safety. It's Native American spirits. The worse-than-Rudolf claymation makes it pretty hard to take this Massachusetts indie very seriously. One scene with a masked man frolicking with skeletons to the sounds of a dreadfully old 45 RPM was the "car crash" scene for me. Awful, but I couldn't look away! Despite the under 80 minute runtime, I can't recommend.

Possession (1981) Isabelle Adjani and San Neil's toxic marriage leads to gory murder, milk and blood secretion, and the most top-of-your-lungs screaming I've ever heard in a movie. Pretty difficult to describe what's going on here, but this should be seen at least once.

Carol Speed passed away earlier this week, I watched three films in her honor:

Abby (1974) Carol Speed is the titular character, a pastor's wife who becomes possessed by a violent, foul-mouthed, sex-hungry demon in this blaxpoitation effort that was so derivative that the producers of The Exorcist sued an won! William "Blacula" Marshall plays the exorcist, who released the demon during a trip to Africa. William Girdler also directed Grizzly and The Manitou before dying young in a helicopter crash.

Bummer (1973) Three teenage groupies follow around a rock group called "The Group". The Group's bass player is a fat asshole who repels women, and his frustration leads to violent and sexual assault. The movie was fun sex and drugs around the streets of Hollywood for the first hour before it got dark. Good nudity from two of the three groupies, Carol Speed managed to keep her clothes on!

Disco Godfather (1979) Dolemite himself, Rudy Ray Moore, plays a detective-turned-nightclub owner who goes on a crusade to end the Angel Dust epidemic that put his basketball playing nephew into an asylum. Rated PG, so light on the sex, but it still had some language, and all the bad kung fu, wooden dialog and unprofessional edits you'd expect from a Rudy Ray Moore movie. Carol Speed plays his assistant at the club, who help lead the war against drugs. She hadn't been in a movie since 1974's Abby, and wouldn't again until 2006.
Last edited by tepista on 21 Jan 2022, 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 11:43am
Titane (2021) A girl with a metal plate in her head who dances half naked on cars, has sex with cars, and goes on an unexplained homicidal terror. Then it gets weird. Weird in a good way. I preferred the first 30 minutes of the film, as it was action-packed, but the rest of it was pretty satisfying as well. Lots of nudity and strange bodily functions in this second feature from from Julia Ducornau, director of 2016's Raw.
I've heard this is awesome, definitely want to watch it.

I watched Lamb last night, about a coupe that adopts a lamb-human hybrid child and hijinks ensue. Real good, I think most folks here would dig it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 11:55am
I watched Lamb last night, about a coupe that adopts a lamb-human hybrid child and hijinks ensue. Real good, I think most folks here would dig it.
That reminds me of the Netflix show from last year where the animal babies were being born.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 1:39pm
daredevil wrote:
tepista wrote:
My wife tore apart the plot at the end, it might have swayed me. We liked the first 2/3 of it quite a bit though!
What didn't she like about it? Does the spoiler tag still work on these boards?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 2:41pm
tepista wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 1:39pm
daredevil wrote:
tepista wrote:
What didn't she like about it? Does the spoiler tag still work on these boards?
Spoiler
Spoiler
that the ghost/zombies were preventing her from getting upstairs when it turns out they were on the same side.
There was some other stuff, but I forgot already.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Just finished Looking for Mr Goodbar. There's 2.5 hours I'll never get back. I remember, sort of, the hub-bub surrounding this movie when it came out. I can see why it was so controversial for the time period, but as a film goes it's kinda enh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 7:26pm
Just finished Looking for Mr Goodbar. There's 2.5 hours I'll never get back. I remember, sort of, the hub-bub surrounding this movie when it came out. I can see why it was so controversial for the time period, but as a film goes it's kinda enh.
So it's not about candy?