movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by daredevil »

revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 8:22am
Im really bad at writing movie reviews. I watched Kate yesterday which was MEW's return to the screen and our hearts. Over the top violence throughout and MEW as an assassin gets tons of screen time so if you're a MEW fan (and you should be) you'll enjoy it.
Yeah, damn good movie. MEW did a great job with her acting and in the fight scenes. She looked bad-ass when she got into that dude's car.
I need to find that boom boom lemon drink.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 4:18pm
revbob wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 9:10am
Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 12:08am
Am I the only one who gives a shit about the new Dune movie, coming out on Oct.22? For the last 15 years or more, I’ve searched “new Dune movie” on google every month or two, hoping the project would finally get moving. Haven’t looked forward to a movie as much as this since maybe Phantom Menace. I’m hoping to see it in the theater, but am a bit wary of seeing it in a crowd. They say fear is the mind killer, so I’ll probably just suck it up and go. Has anyone else here been going to see movies in theaters while the pandemic is still a thing?
Ive never read the book(s?). I attempted to watch the 1984 movie and was completely bored. Thus the prospect of a new one doesn't stir my loins much either. As for going to a movie theater or not I cant think of many that would get me going. I had to laugh that the new Venom movie is an only in theaters release. Yeah I'll voluntarily expose myself to covid to see Venom 2 or whatever the fuck its called.
I loved the 1984 Dune when I saw it back then, age 12. David Lynch has basically disowned that movie because the producers cut so much footage out, to keep runtime short, that a lot of it makes no sense if you haven't read the book. The new film is supposed to be the first of two, covering the first half of the first book. It seems like it was made to be more accessible to those who aren’t already familiar with the story. I don’t plan on going to opening night, but if I can catch it later in the run when there are only 8-10 other people in the theater, that might be my best bet. Last movie I saw in a theater was in 2018. Colbert has had a few Dune cast members on in the last week or so and that has peaked my interest.
I hope you get to see it and enjoy it.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 7:56pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 4:18pm
revbob wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 9:10am
Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 12:08am
Am I the only one who gives a shit about the new Dune movie, coming out on Oct.22? For the last 15 years or more, I’ve searched “new Dune movie” on google every month or two, hoping the project would finally get moving. Haven’t looked forward to a movie as much as this since maybe Phantom Menace. I’m hoping to see it in the theater, but am a bit wary of seeing it in a crowd. They say fear is the mind killer, so I’ll probably just suck it up and go. Has anyone else here been going to see movies in theaters while the pandemic is still a thing?
Ive never read the book(s?). I attempted to watch the 1984 movie and was completely bored. Thus the prospect of a new one doesn't stir my loins much either. As for going to a movie theater or not I cant think of many that would get me going. I had to laugh that the new Venom movie is an only in theaters release. Yeah I'll voluntarily expose myself to covid to see Venom 2 or whatever the fuck its called.
I loved the 1984 Dune when I saw it back then, age 12. David Lynch has basically disowned that movie because the producers cut so much footage out, to keep runtime short, that a lot of it makes no sense if you haven't read the book. The new film is supposed to be the first of two, covering the first half of the first book. It seems like it was made to be more accessible to those who aren’t already familiar with the story. I don’t plan on going to opening night, but if I can catch it later in the run when there are only 8-10 other people in the theater, that might be my best bet. Last movie I saw in a theater was in 2018. Colbert has had a few Dune cast members on in the last week or so and that has peaked my interest.
I hope you get to see it and enjoy it.
Thanks Rev. I'll try to do a review in a couple weeks.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kool Kongs
Attachments
kong2.png
kong2.png (555.03 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
kong1.jpg
kong1.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

and one more
Attachments
kong4.png
kong3.png
kong3.png (740.86 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

No fair, he's aiming at the breast implants.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There needs to be a prequel, Prince Kong, that relates his upbringing, education, maybe his doubts about ascending to the throne, his first love. We know he'll be king one day, but what about the struggles along the way?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Olaf wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 6:03pm
I'm obsessed with the waistless, twisty, cross-eyed gun-shooter

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

tepista wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 6:15pm
Olaf wrote:
Appears to be pretty limber too.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Séance (2021) A student is killed after a prank-gone-wrong, and when a new girl in school shows up, the pranks, and deaths continue. Feature directorial debut from the writer of You’re Next and The Guest, but this was hokey. It did remind me of The Blob and Carrie, but only because I was supposed to believe all these 30 year olds were in high school.

Inferno (1982) The second of Dario Argento's "Three Mothers" trilogy. A young woman in an old New York apartment finds out some witchy shit has been going on, and asks her brother, a music student in Rome, to come back home and help her out. He doesn't make it in time, she gets violently killed, as do a few other young ladies. In fact, they can't introduce the characters fast enough! The set designs, color schemes and kill scenes are all spectacular, and while it's not in my top 5 Argento flicks, it's always a pleasure to look at, especially a spectacular underwater sequence.

Candyman (1992) Chain-smoking grad student Virgina Madsen debunks the urban legend of Candyman, who then appears to her in order to cement his legacy in Bernard Rose’s adaption of the Clive Barker story, which is one of the decade’s best. Tony Todd becomes a genre legend as the title character.

Green Room (2015) A travelling punk band playing a small show inadvertently witness a murder, and are trapped inside a club by neo-nazis. With no indication that police are on the way, they must fight their way out, an undesirable task. Extremely violent. With Anton Yelchin (Odd Thomas, Burying the Ex) and the always great Patrick Stewart. Recommended.

Stray Cat Rock: Sex Hunter (1970) A street gang loses some of their women to inter-racial relationships (or “half-breeds” as they are referred in the movie) and a race war ensues. Meiko Kaji, who would soon star in the fantastic Female Prisoner Scorpion series, returns in this 3rd entry of the Stray Cat series, which, like it predecessors, is relatively tame compared to other “Pinkys”.

Don’t Breathe 2 (2021) Nine years later, our blind, old army vet is teaching a daughter of his own the art of self-defense and turkey basting. A group of kidnappers with bad haircuts break in with sights on the girl and action follows. The first half felt like a ho-hum home invasion flick, but when the plot shifts to outrageous, it’s for the better. Rodo Sayagues who co-wrote the first one as well as the Evil Dead remake with Fede Alvarez gets his first shot in the director’s chair. Good enough to watch once.

V/H/S 94 (2021) Forth installment of the above average anthology series hits the mark again with a news crew in a sewer, an unattended wake, and domestic terrorists with a supernatural weapon. All three were pretty good and have solid endings to boot. Then there’s Timo Tjahjanto, the Indonesian filmmaker, director of the May the Devil Take You films, and who dominated the second V/H/S film with the spectacular “Safe Haven” segment, who does it again in grand fashion with “The Subject”, about a mad scientist who’s hybrid experiments make Frankenstein’s Army look like a stroll in the park. See it for Timo, he won’t let you down!

Old 37 (2015) Genre faves Bill Moseley and Kane Hodder are sibling ambulance drivers who brutalize victims of auto accidents when the opportunity presents itself. Their targets are a group of highly unlikable teens, even the one you’re supposed to like bitches to her mom about getting breast implants. Did you know when you get breast implants, they bleach your hair and do your nails before releasing you from the hospital so you can go on a date the same night? Well anyway, I didn’t think this was very good.

Black Sunday aka The Mask of Satan (1960) Mario Bava's gothic masterpiece about a vampire/witch (Barbara Steele in a dual role) who is awakened from her tomb after 200 years, and attempts to inhabit the body of a descendant. The pre-credit sequence alone is worth the price of admission, and Babs awaking from the dead with spike-holes in her face is what nightmares are made of. One of the best of its kind.

Joe Bob’s Halloween Hoedown Joe Bob’s guests were Jason Blum and David Gordon Green to promote the upcoming Halloween Kills. Probably the longest interview segment to date if memory serves, but good stuff. And the great, though not particularly Halloweenie movies were:

Angel (1984) “High School Honor Student by Day, Hollywood Hooker by Night” said the tagline, do you need more than that? 15 year old Molly has been turning tricks for years to pay the rent in her shitty apartment ever since her parents have been gone. (Actress Donna Wilkes was 25, and had previously played a teen in Jaws 2) Her classmates learning her secrets is nothing compared to the danger that begins when an egg-sucking psycho killer starts slashing all the Hollywood streetwalkers! Yes, he actually sucks the yolk from a small hole in an eggshell in a very disturbing scene. A cop who cares has her back. Dick Shawn steals the show as a drag queen/mother figure who bickers with the always-great Susan Tyrell as a butch landlady with the most ridiculous painted eyebrows you’ve ever seen. Rory Calhoun (Motel Hell) is a rootin-tootin faded western star who walks the boulevard. That’s what he was in real life! Well, except the boulevard part. Lots of nudity, and very sleazy. There would be three Angel films in all, a different actress in the lead role each time.

Terror Train (1980) A masked killer terrorizes the graduating med students on a party train on New Year’s eve. It’s a masquerade, so the killer blends in easily. Jamie Lee Curtis stars, and a handful of pretty secondary actresses as well, including Vanity in her first feature. David Copperfield does a bunch of magic tricks. Also the directorial debut for Roger Spottiswoode, who went on to a mainstream career. Fun movie.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

tepista wrote:
Olaf wrote:
I'm obsessed with King Kong's lazy eye.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 6:18pm
tepista wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Appears to be pretty limber too.
He llooks Iike a masked Mexican wrestler in the first one

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 7:31pm
Candyman (1992) Chain-smoking grad student Virgina Madsen debunks the urban legend of Candyman, who then appears to her in order to cement his legacy in Bernard Rose’s adaption of the Clive Barker story, which is one of the decade’s best. Tony Todd becomes a genre legend as the title character.
He's great in the 1990 Night of the Living Dead remake too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Kory wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 3:54pm
tepista wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 7:31pm
He's great in the 1990 Night of the Living Dead remake too.
Great remake, and yes Tony Todd was really good. I liked the female lead too.