movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: movies

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:05pm
Watched Hamilton last night with the fam (the missus and all parents/in-laws are enamored with it enough that I really just had to bite my tongue and not act like a curmudgeonly asshole). As I think Wolt has affirmed, mechanically the play is quite well done (not that I have any other real reference points for what a Broadway musical should be like) but the politics are absolutely rock stupid. I don't really care if normal people find it inspiring or w/e - I mean, who cares - but the idea that anyone with a modicum of political power finds it an intelligent meditation on American politics is terrifying and contemptuous in equal measure.

I did like some of the stylistic nods to rappers tho: eminem, biggie, tupac, etc. None of the music was actual rap, despite what NPR dorks thinks, but I think the way the music engaged with rap and the genre touchstones was actually my favorite/most interesting part of the whole thing.
Yep. That’s about how I feel for it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 2:06am
Taxi Driver
Great film but that music does not age well!!!!
Bernard Hermann's film score is fucking fantastic. Are you mad.
Yes I am, but not keen on all that saxophone mood music especially when not called for.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 4:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 2:06am
Taxi Driver
Great film but that music does not age well!!!!
Bernard Hermann's film score is fucking fantastic. Are you mad.
Yes I am, but not keen on all that saxophone mood music especially when not called for.
I love it I find it brooding. Still fair enough mate each to his own. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I have just watched the worst movie of all time, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Heston wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 8:53pm
I have just watched the worst movie of all time, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation.
according to my notes it was better than part 3! :)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1996) Kim Henkel, who co-wrote the original with Tobe Hooper gets his one and only directing credit. Future Lincoln spokesperson Matthew McConaughey plays the psychotic head of family with a mechanical leg, and it’s kids ditching the prom who get caught up in the mayhem this time. Rene Zellweger in nerd glasses and a prom dress is the main girl. The other girl victim has a pretty good running gag throughout the movie by taking one would-be deathblow after another, but still being alive. But on to the important details: Does McConaughey say “Alright, alright, alright” at any time? Of course he does, around the 65 minute mark. Despite what internet ratings might say, this one (4) was better than 3.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Burning (1981) This has everything you would want in a classic 80s slasher: Summer Camp setting, shower scene, prank gone wrong and revenge, actors that became famous later in life (Jason Alexander, Holly Hunter) and possibly the single greatest action-gore scene of them all, courtesy of Tom Savini. Co-written and produced by Harvey Weinstein! One of the best of the genre, not to be missed.

Def by Temptation (1990) A sexy succubus is murdering NYC bar patrons. The son of a preacher must resist. Jeez, this was just awful. A succubus movie with no nudity. James Bond III was a child star in the 80s but he grew up to write, direct and star in this and doesn’t have another film credit for 20 years! Also with Kadeem Hardison and Samuel L Jackson.

Lake Bodom (2016) Finnish slasher starts out fine, 2 pairs of teens visit a camp site that had a massacre 40 years earlier, but around the time of the first “twist” about half waythrough, the characters motivations were so weak it practically knocked my brain out of the rest of the movie. I mean it wasn’t bad or anything and I suppose if you don’t think too hard. It’s a horror movie after all. Subtitles.

Piranha (1978) Heather Menzies (Ssssss) is a private investigator looking for two missing teens. She and the mountain drunkard, Bradford Dilman (Bug), end up at a military testing facility where they unknowingly empty a pool of genetically altered piranha into a Texas river, where they eventually prey on a kids summer camp, and the grand opening of a family resort. Joe Dante’s 2nd feature film for Roger Corman, he was just getting started. Loaded with familiar genre faces, Kevin McCarthy, Keenan Wynn, Dick Miller, Barbara Steele, Paul Bartel, and Belinda Balaski. A personal alltime fave.

Humanoids From the Deep (1980) My favorite 80s eco-horror. A cannery is set to open up in a Pacific Northwest fishing town, prompting a feud between local Native Americans and white fisherman. Scientists have been feeding growth hormones to the salmon, causing some of the more primitive fish to rapidly evolve into slimy fish people with an urge to reproduce! Gory, good nudity, lots of explosions, fish fucking, and a ventriloquist dummy who nearly gets laid in a tent. Doug McClure plays the hero, Vic Morrow the villain. Rob Bottin (The Thing, The Howling) created the humanoids and produced by Roger Corman's New World Pictures.

The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover (1977) I’ve always been curios about this one from Larry Cohen and TCM played it a few weeks ago. It plays like a documentary of the 50 year FBI head (Broderick Crawford), from his rise to prominence battling mob bosses, then his feud with Bobby Kennedy (Michael Parks) and his obsession with illegal wire taps. The sleazy bits were accusations of homosexuality, and the implication that he got drunk in his office and jerked off to sexually explicit audio tapes! The cast of dozens also included Rip Torn, John Marley and Jose Ferrer. Not very good.

Vampyros Lesbos (1971) The gorgeous Soledad Miranda plays a man-hating, modern descendant of Dracula, living in a Turkish mansion and seducing a vacationing woman. Loaded with nudity and psychedelic imagery, this Spanish-German production, heavily influenced by Bram Stoker is arguably Jess Franco’s best

Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) All these years later, I think Joe Dante’s remake of “It’s a Good Life” is the best segment, which I certainly didn’t think when I was a kid because I wanted it to be closer to the original. John Landis, Stephen Speilberg and George Miller round out the quartet of directors, this is still pretty fun.

Into the Dark: Good Boy (2020) Pushing 40 and with career and relationship moving in the wrong direction, Judy Greer rescues a dog from a shelter. After that, anyone she has a problem with turns up dead, while the dog turns up bloody. I like Judy Greer, the dog was adorable, and it had a likeable supporting cast, making this the best Into the Dark feature in months, and, whew, there were some stinkers in there.

The Final Terror (1983) I couldn’t figure out what these guys were up to, they were park rangers, maybe, but they acted like they were soldiers, but they used the government vehicle to pick up chicks and go camping, but then there was a side plot to rob a marijuana field, and half of them had southern accents and the other half were British? Anyway, not a lot of gore in this slasher and no nudity, the interesting cast had Darryl Hannah, Rachel Ward, Adrian Zmed and Joey Pants. Director Andrew Davis ended up making a few movies with Steven Segal.

Yummy (2019) Belgium Zombie outbreak that takes place in a shady plastic surgery center. Boobs and blood and some pretty good laughs, this movie does exactly what it set out to. It was half in English and half in subs, I kinda wish it was all in subs, as some the accents were tough to tell.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 8

Scare Package (2019) An Austin, TX indie anthology, with a couple clunkers, but at least 3 or 4 of the stories were pretty good. Funny, clever and gory, the final segment was the standout, and featured pro wrestler Dustin “Goldust” Rhodes as a serial killer, and Joe Bob Briggs playing himself. Worth a one-time watch at the very least.

Hogzilla (2007/2014/2020?) This Florida indie sat on the shelf for years and that’s exactly where it belongs. I mean SyFy was showing a movie with this plot every week for 10 years and they didn’t want it! Anyway, a tabloid crew searches the woods for a giant pig that’s been killing people, and Joe Bob Briggs plays a drunk hillbilly looking to avenge his son from the humongous swine. Absolutely ZERO FX! I mean come on, they barely even showed the pig itself! If you love Joe Bob, maybe you can stomach it once.

So, the Last Drive-In hosted TWO streaming World Premieres this week, and Joe Bob acted out a bit in which he was unaware that Hogzilla, starring himself, was the second feature of the evening, and feigning anger at the crew for tricking him. In reality, it would appear Darcy and the producer put in a lot of work in finding and restoring this rarity, and if you’re like me, you’ll watch anything with those guys!

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 9

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988) Pinhead & Pals are back, as Kirstie finds herself in a mental hospital where an evil doctor tries to figure out the secret of the box, and raises Julia from the dead form a bloodstained mattress. Eventually, we take a trip through hell and get a new cenobite. I know the ratings board were cutting Jason movies to shreds in the late 80s, but the Hellraisers were gory as fuck, somehow! Very good sequel.

Hell Comes to Frogtown (1988) Post-Apocalyptic action romp with Rowdy Roddy Piper as a fertile captive of the government, forced against his will to infiltrate an amphibian city to free and impregnate the human slave girls. Sounds great, yeah, but no. The actual frog-people were fun to look at, but this was torture to watch 30 years ago and nothing’s changed. With Rory Calhoun.

Joe Bob’s guests for Hellraiser were Ashley Laurence, who seems to get better looking every single year of her life, and Doug “Pinhead” Bradley himself. They explained how budget restrictions severely hampered the depiction of Hell, and how Ashley once married the Geico lizard in a commercial, among other things. Joe Bob seems to LOVE Frogtown, sorry, I have to differ on that opinion.
Last edited by tepista on 10 Jul 2020, 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 9:35am
Piranha (1978) Heather Menzies (Ssssss) is a private investigator looking for two missing teens. She and the mountain drunkard, Bradford Dilman (Bug), end up at a military testing facility where they unknowingly empty a pool of genetically altered piranha into a Texas river, where they eventually prey on a kids summer camp, and the grand opening of a family resort. Joe Dante’s 2nd feature film for Roger Corman, he was just getting started. Loaded with familiar genre faces, Kevin McCarthy, Keenan Wynn, Dick Miller, Barbara Steele, Paul Bartel, and Belinda Balaski. A personal alltime fave.

First time I saw Piranha was at a sleepover, so I still associate it with being ten years old or so. Which is a perfect age for schlocky horror.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Watched 1917 on an airplane flight on Tuesday but landed before the end of the film :disshame:
SPOILER: has anyone seen it does anything happen after he hands over the envelope?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 4:28pm
Watched 1917 on an airplane flight on Tuesday but landed before the end of the film :disshame:
SPOILER: has anyone seen it does anything happen after he hands over the envelope?
That's pretty much end of film i think, 5 minutes left at that stage. Just has to try and complete second part of his mission and we're done. Good film, i liked it, felt authentic for the most part.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 4:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
That's pretty much end of film i think, 5 minutes left at that stage. Just has to try and complete second part of his mission and we're done. Good film, i liked it, felt authentic for the most part.
Yep I enjoyed it apart from having the ending cut off.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

You could probably make a great film out of the making of the Twilight Zone film.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 4:51pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Im more curious how you feel about flying these days.

A friend sent me a pick from a normally very busy DC airport on a Friday and it was nearly empty

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 11:16am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

A friend sent me a pick from a normally very busy DC airport on a Friday and it was nearly empty
We have no cases of COVID in the community so I had no qualms about jumping on a plane ( obviously was a domestic flight).
Both flights full.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 10:09am
You could probably make a great film out of the making of the Twilight Zone film.
Yes true with that helicopter crash and Vic Morrow and those two poor kids being illegally hired.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 5:33pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 11:16am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

We have no cases of COVID in the community so I had no qualms about jumping on a plane ( obviously was a domestic flight).
Both flights full.
Yeah I guess that makes a difference.