movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by Kory »

daredevil wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 11:00pm
Kory wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 3:54pm
tepista wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 7:31pm
Candyman (1992) Chain-smoking grad student Virgina Madsen debunks the urban legend of Candyman, who then appears to her in order to cement his legacy in Bernard Rose’s adaption of the Clive Barker story, which is one of the decade’s best. Tony Todd becomes a genre legend as the title character.
He's great in the 1990 Night of the Living Dead remake too.
Great remake, and yes Tony Todd was really good. I liked the female lead too.
Agreed, her transition from terror-stricken to all-business is fun to watch. I'll have to look into her and see if she's done much else. Patricia Tallman is her name, I think.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 12:28pm
daredevil wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Candyman (1992) Chain-smoking grad student Virgina Madsen debunks the urban legend of Candyman, who then appears to her in order to cement his legacy in Bernard Rose’s adaption of the Clive Barker story, which is one of the decade’s best. Tony Todd becomes a genre legend as the title character.
Agreed, her transition from terror-stricken to all-business is fun to watch. I'll have to look into her and see if she's done much else. Patricia Tallman is her name, I think.
A regular on Babylon 5, apparently. I had to look it up.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 1:24pm
Kory wrote:
daredevil wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Well I'll be damned. I don't think I've seen a single episode of that show.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 5:55pm
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
daredevil wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm aware of it, but no, me neither.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Kory wrote:
daredevil wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
that's what I liked about that character too. I loved her last line at the end "They're us and we're them".

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 6:26pm
Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 5:55pm
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
daredevil wrote:

I'm aware of it, but no, me neither.
Always wondered what happened to that actress. I never saw her in anything else, and didn't know about Babylon 5

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Medium (2021) A middle aged shaman and her twenty-something niece prepare for the transference of the kind spirit of a goddess from one to the other, as has been tradition in their family for generations, but when the younger women begins to display odd and sometimes violent behavior, they wonder if there’s an evil force at hand. The 2+ hour runtime starts pretty slow, but it’s a roller-coaster when it finally gets going. Very good movie, and even some surprise nudity. If you like possession moves, this is better than most. In Thai w/ subtitles.

Slumber Party Massacre (2021) This re-imagining incorporates a few aspects of the 80s VHS classic and it’s sequel about a psycho with a power drill terrorizing scantily clad teenage girls, but it has its own modern agenda as well. Don’t expect too much, get some popcorn and enjoy.

The Empty Man (2020) Was this horror-thriller a trapped in the snow movie, an ex-cop seeking redemption movie, a teenagers get cursed movie, a cult-conspiracy movie, or all of the above? Lots of mystery and things not what they seem in this pretty cool, but maybe slightly too long (2:17) movie that has so many things going on it might have worked as a miniseries! Surprise nudity.

Elivira’s Haunted Hills (2001) Elvira’s 2nd feature is an homage to House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, Tomb of Ligea, and the rest of the Poe/Price/Corman catalog from the 60s. Elvira and her assistant stay at an old castle while traveling through Europe on the way to a performance in Paris, and make a bunch of PG-13 dick jokes on their way. But not as many as the first movie.

Bloody Pit of Horror (1965) A group of Italian fashion models and their crew crash a castle they thought abandoned, but is inhabited by a recluse and his “henchmen” (They dress like Batman villains). They release the spirit of “The Crimson Executioner” who was buried there hundreds of years ago during the Spanish Inquisition, and find themselves on the wrong end of torture racks, iron maidens, and various other fun devices that were stashed in the dungeon. American muscleman and husband of Jayne Mansfield, Mickey Hargitay, plays the villain, complete with red hood and wrestling tights. Cheesy and sleazy, with some ridiculous dialog, this movie is a delight. If you’re looking for a “bad movie night” this is a can’t miss. There’s a 74 and 87 minute version of this, but according to an internet search, there’s no sex or violence in the cut scenes. NOTE: On my second viewing, in which I did manage to locate the 87 minute version on youtube, I can’t say for certain, but I believe some of the torture scenes, which include blood and scantily clad victims, could possibly be a few seconds longer.

Suspiria (1977) Dario Argento’s fantastic sets, brilliantly lighting, with gore and a loud soundtrack by Goblin make this arty film about witches who run a dance academy an absolute masterpiece, deserving of all the praise it gets, and then some. I’ve seen it more times than I can count, and I’ll watch it every three years or so until I die.

Don’t Let Her In (2021) A hipster couple rent a room in their DTLA loft to a sexy succubus who turns their lives upside down in this mediocre mini-budget quickie from Full Moon and Ted Nicolau (Supspecies) that has a runtime of an hour flat! Seems it could fit in an episode of an anthology series, except for the nudity.

Laid to Rest (2009) A busty amnesiac wakes up in a coffin an while escaping from her cam-corder carrying would-be killer, puts the lives of all who cross her path in danger. That includes Lena Headley, a guy who looks like Bill Goldberg with a limp, and the Got Milk guy. Gory as fuck, with a small amount of nudity. Unfortunately, writer director of this and its sequel, as well as about 100 FX credits, Robert Hall, passed away in 2021 at the age of 47.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I liked The Empty Man -- thought the end was kind of whatever, but it was a lot of fun.

I was watching NewsRadio for the first time (after reading everyone talk about it here) around then and it was funny to see Jimmy James pop up as well.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 5:27pm
The Empty Man (2020) Was this horror-thriller a trapped in the snow movie, an ex-cop seeking redemption movie, a teenagers get cursed movie, a cult-conspiracy movie, or all of the above? Lots of mystery and things not what they seem in this pretty cool, but maybe slightly too long (2:17) movie that has so many things going on it might have worked as a miniseries! Surprise nudity.
Based on the Cullen Bunn-penned comic series?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:35pm
tepista wrote:
The Empty Man is a 2020 American supernatural horror thriller film written, directed, and edited by David Prior, based on Cullen Bunn and Vanesa R. Del Rey's graphic novel of same name published by Boom! Studios.

I guess so!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:49pm
Kory wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:35pm
tepista wrote:
The Empty Man is a 2020 American supernatural horror thriller film written, directed, and edited by David Prior, based on Cullen Bunn and Vanesa R. Del Rey's graphic novel of same name published by Boom! Studios.

I guess so!
Ah cool thanks! I didn't realize it was out already. I'll have to see how it stacks up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.avclub.com/john-hughes-want ... 1847929168

Alas, it would have been an opportunity to hate them even more.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 3:14pm
https://www.avclub.com/john-hughes-want ... 1847929168

Alas, it would have been an opportunity to hate them even more.
lmao, that would have sucked so bad
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Finally got to see The Green Knight. I really wanted to see it in the theater, but I was still not sure about being in a big group and I couldn't find time to see the final showing of a weeknight which would have helped with that. I thought it was great in the usual A24 way, but I'd be curious about Wolt's thoughts on it since I'm not mega-familiar with the source material.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Tep has Alucarda ever been on your viewing list?