movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched this today. I know I've seen this before—enough scenes felt familiar—but it's clearly been several decades. Cartoonishly dumb, with evil black militants and leftist terrorists, incompetent city officials, and a new partner for Harry (either Cagney or Lacey) who is promoted just because she's a woman (lousy liberals!) but she eventually proves herself by shooting a bad guy and then getting gunned down herself. Harry goes from vigilante to full-on lunatic bigot who is only slightly better than the bad guys.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 6:52pm
Watched this today. I know I've seen this before—enough scenes felt familiar—but it's clearly been several decades. Cartoonishly dumb, with evil black militants and leftist terrorists, incompetent city officials, and a new partner for Harry (either Cagney or Lacey) who is promoted just because she's a woman (lousy liberals!) but she eventually proves herself by shooting a bad guy and then getting gunned down herself. Harry goes from vigilante to full-on lunatic bigot who is only slightly better than the bad guys.
Yep nothing pc in this movie. :approve: ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, very pc for angry white men. It, like, hits all the right notes for them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 7:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My little joke was probably too English. PC = Police constable.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 6:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 7:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My little joke was probably too English. PC = Police constable.
Damn you, Limey, damn you!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Tammy and the T-Rex (1994) Or is it “Tanny & the Teenage T-Rex” like it says in the credits. Yes, Tammy was spelled incorrectly in the opening credits. Denise Richard’s boyfriend (Paul Walker) gets killed and a mad scientist (the corpse from Weekend at Bernie’s) puts his brain in an animatronic dinosaur. He goes on a rampage, kills his enemies and gets back with his girlfriend. This straight to video PG13 gimmick got re-released this year with restored gore scenes, and gory they were, but this was incredibly tedious and unfunny. Ellen Dubin, who played the scientist’s long-legged girlfriend was just about the only thing in this I liked. Isaac from Children of the Corn was in there too. Writer/director Stewart Raffill also has “Mac & Me” on his resume, truly in a league of his own.

Graveyard Disturbance (1987) An Italian made-for-TV movie from Laberto Bavo had a few actors from Demons, and for a while it reminded me of the movie-within-a-movie scene from Demons, but unfortunately cemetaries weren’t made cathedrals, nor cities tombs. Some kids crash a van and find a tavern in the middle of a graveyard that offers a box of riches to anyone who can speng the night in the underground tombs. Some ghosts and zombies, but pretty tame and no one gets hurt. One scene with the undead eating a fancy dinner of jellied spiders was fun, but I can’t recommend this.

Vengeance of the Zombies (1973) Paul Naschy plays an Indian mystic who uses the power of Satan to raise the dead and kill a bunch of people. A woman who trusts him emphatically stays with him after her family was brutally murdered. Some blood and some nudity, but not one of Naschy’s best. Entertaining enough for fans of Eurosleaze.

Suspiria (2018) Dario Argento’s stylish gore classic about a ballet academy run by a coven of witches is remade as a two and a half hour epic. Dakota Johnson is Suzy Bannion, and the great Tilda Swinton is the head witch in charge. Chloe Grace Moretz and the fabulously named Mia Goth are dancers as well. I’m not sure if this has the rewatchability of the 1977 version, but it didn’t drag too badly over the long run time and there was some good horror and fx. Stick around to the end for some nudity that you may have not expected, and (semi-spoiler) a fantastic cameo that should please fans of the original. Now on my 2nd watch I noticed at least 2 of the students had Bowie posters in their bedrooms.

The Nude Vampire (1970) Well, she mostly ran around in a see-though nighty, but close enough. Some Illuminati type hold a vampire girl against her will, trying to find the secret to eternal life, while the son of the ringmaster tries to save her. Lots of style, colors, and beautiful naked women in this, the 2nd of 4 straight vampire films from French filmmaker Jean Rollin, though the story was a bit scattered. It would be his next, Shiver of the Vampire, that blew me away.

Combat Shock (1986) Unpleasant tale of an unemployed Vietnam vet and former POW trying to make ends meet on the sleazy streets of New York with a starving wife and deformed baby waiting out an eviction notice. A junkie opens a vein with a dirty coat hanger to sprinkle heroin in. Not sure that works, but I swear I remembered the hanger had an aborted fetus on the end. Did I imagine that or do I have to dig my 30 year old VHS tape out of the garage? The government employment office was tastefully decorated with posters of Dawn of the Dead and Frank Zappa on a toilet.

Having moderately enjoyed The Pilgrim a short while back, I figured I’d check out a few more of HULU’s Mediocre Movie of the Month Club they call “Into the Dark"

Into the Dark: New Year, New You (2018) Four high school friends have a New Years Eve reunion, but it’s soon clear that they all have unfinished business with the one who became an internet sensation, and violence erupts. Written and directed by Sophia Takal, who would cause a big ruckus and a small box office with her Black Christmas “remake”.

Into the Dark: The Body (2018) A hitman is required to deliver his kill to a specified spot but finds his tires slashed by Halloween vandals. Lucky for him a man in a suit dragging a body around doesn’t arouse much suspicion on All Hallows Eve, and he finds himself at a party trying to secure a set of wheels. Fun comedy, but it may have been better suited as an hour TV show, as I got a little bored by the end. Fans of TV horror-comedies will recognize Pablo from Ash vs Evil Dead and Guillermo from What We Do in the Shadows.

Into the Dark: Pooka! (2018) A struggling actor takes a seasonal gig as a full-sized mascot of “Pooka”, the surefire smash hit doll of the Christmas season, but almost immediately suffers from hallucinations of the suit performing acts of violence. Is the suit alive? Is it him? Nacho Vigalondo directs someone else’s screenplay, he had previously written and directed quite a few good things, most notably the spectacular Timecrimes.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 7:10pm
Tammy and the T-Rex (1994) Or is it “Tanny & the Teenage T-Rex” like it says in the credits. Yes, Tammy was spelled incorrectly in the opening credits. Denise Richard’s boyfriend (Paul Walker) gets killed and a mad scientist (the corpse from Weekend at Bernie’s) puts his brain in an animatronic dinosaur. He goes on a rampage, kills his enemies and gets back with his girlfriend. This straight to video PG13 gimmick got re-released this year with restored gore scenes, and gory they were, but this was incredibly tedious and unfunny. Ellen Dubin, who played the scientist’s long-legged girlfriend was just about the only thing in this I liked. Isaac from Children of the Corn was in there too. Writer/director Stewart Raffill also has “Mac & Me” on his resume, truly in a league of his own.
I had never heard of this until a few weeks ago and I know Denise Richards, Paul Walker, and 1994 very well. Why the resurgence? The restoration of gore scenes?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 7:16pm
tepista wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 7:10pm
I had never heard of this until a few weeks ago and I know Denise Richards, Paul Walker, and 1994 very well. Why the resurgence? The restoration of gore scenes?
That, and it got a blu-ray, and a few weeks later streaming on Shudder. I'd never heard of it either.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Saw the new Little Women last night, it was GREAT. High recommendation.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm gonna say 20% chance this is really good, 80% really awful, and 0% so-so. I'll watch it regardless when it comes to a movie channel.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 6:09pm

I'm gonna say 20% chance this is really good, 80% really awful, and 0% so-so. I'll watch it regardless when it comes to a movie channel.
A pretty good cast there, Im not sure how IMDB has it at a 5.4 before it is released.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 7:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 6:09pm

A pretty good cast there, Im not sure how IMDB has it at a 5.4 before it is released.
Some people are just gifted and can tell how good things are without seeing or hearing them. It's pretty efficient, really. Wish I was that kind of genius. :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss is at some gathering that involved full-on formal dress, so opted out faster than lightning, and am going to watch:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 7:16pm
The Boss is at some gathering that involved full-on formal dress, so opted out faster than lightning, and am going to watch:
How scary did you find it on this watch?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 6:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 7:16pm
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/UTB83rgckiDE ... ration.jpg
How scary did you find it on this watch?
Affecting might be the better word. I was drawn more to Father Karras' struggle with his own faith and his twin pulls of psychology and religion, as well as guilt. Yes, the visuals and pacing are still almost pitch perfect, and even knowing what's coming and all it still generates a bit of tingling on the skin, but really focusing on Karras going thru is own Christ-like battle with doubt until he fully commits and sacrifices himself for the innocent child, that brought some freshness to it all.