movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: movies

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 7:20am
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 6:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 7:16pm
The Boss is at some gathering that involved full-on formal dress, so opted out faster than lightning, and am going to watch:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/UTB83rgckiDE ... ration.jpg
How scary did you find it on this watch?
Affecting might be the better word. I was drawn more to Father Karras' struggle with his own faith and his twin pulls of psychology and religion, as well as guilt. Yes, the visuals and pacing are still almost pitch perfect, and even knowing what's coming and all it still generates a bit of tingling on the skin, but really focusing on Karras going thru is own Christ-like battle with doubt until he fully commits and sacrifices himself for the innocent child, that brought some freshness to it all.
Perfect horror movie that touches on all the right bases of evil. The faith questioning and the fact the evil has claimed a child all add to fear factor. It doesn't feel dated which is a big plus.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss is at some gathering that involved full-on formal dress, so opted out faster than lightning, and am going to watch:
Affecting might be the better word. I was drawn more to Father Karras' struggle with his own faith and his twin pulls of psychology and religion, as well as guilt. Yes, the visuals and pacing are still almost pitch perfect, and even knowing what's coming and all it still generates a bit of tingling on the skin, but really focusing on Karras going thru is own Christ-like battle with doubt until he fully commits and sacrifices himself for the innocent child, that brought some freshness to it all.
Perfect horror movie that touches on all the right bases of evil. The faith questioning and the fact the evil has claimed a child all add to fear factor. It doesn't feel dated which is a big plus.
I'm sure I would have mentioned listening to Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts, another exorcism novel but one where its characters are hyperaware of these other stories and how that affects their behaviour.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 11:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm sure I would have mentioned listening to Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts, another exorcism novel but one where its characters are hyperaware of these other stories and how that affects their behaviour.
That sounds interesting.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 11:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

That sounds interesting.
My recollection is that I thought it got a bit too cute at times with the metacommentary about exorcism stories within the novel, but overall it held my interest as to how it would all be resolved.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Danny Trejo has been killed on screen more times than any other actor in history, Buzz Bingo says their research has indicated, overtaking Christopher Lee for that record!

Again, we haven’t actually crunched the numbers ourselves, it’s important to note, but Buzz Bingo tells us that Trejo has to date been killed on screen a total of 65 times.

“We counted the movie deaths of the world’s top actors using IMDb and Cinemorgue,” the site lets us know. Christopher Lee isn’t very far behind Trejo with 60 on-screen deaths, and the top 10 also includes Lance Henriksen (51), Vincent Price (41), Dennis Hopper (41), Boris Karloff (41), John Hurt (39), Bela Lugosi (36), Tom Sizemore (36) and Eric Roberts (35).

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/360 ... hollywood/
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 3:31pm
Danny Trejo has been killed on screen more times than any other actor in history, Buzz Bingo says their research has indicated, overtaking Christopher Lee for that record!

Again, we haven’t actually crunched the numbers ourselves, it’s important to note, but Buzz Bingo tells us that Trejo has to date been killed on screen a total of 65 times.

“We counted the movie deaths of the world’s top actors using IMDb and Cinemorgue,” the site lets us know. Christopher Lee isn’t very far behind Trejo with 60 on-screen deaths, and the top 10 also includes Lance Henriksen (51), Vincent Price (41), Dennis Hopper (41), Boris Karloff (41), John Hurt (39), Bela Lugosi (36), Tom Sizemore (36) and Eric Roberts (35).

There's gotta be some movie with clones of one actor and they all get killed at once, no?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 3:48pm
tepista wrote:

There's gotta be some movie with clones of one actor and they all get killed at once, no?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 4:43pm
Kory wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 3:48pm
tepista wrote:

NOW we're talking

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 5:22pm
tepista wrote:
NOW we're talking
Here's my overly-long, spoiler-full review of Clones, which looks like I got tired at the end and just stopped writing

The Clones of Bruce Lee (1977) Bruce Lee is rushed to hospital and dies. A man from the British FBI (yes, FBI) comes in with a professor and takes a syringe full of DNA and says thanks. A few weeks later, the professor has cloned 3 full grown clones, and cleverly names them Bruce Lee 1, Bruce Lee 2 and Bruce Lee 3. They are all trained to the probably unlicensed theme from Rocky. Bruce 1 is sent to infiltrate the set of a Kung Fu film that is a cover operation for the film producers to steal gold from an island. When they suspect Bruce is a spy, they try to kill him on screen, with plans to cash in the box office on his death, but Bruce is havin none of that. 

Then Bruce 2 and 3 are sent to Thailand, were they meet another Kung Fu contact, and their mission is to take down a crime lord with plans to take over the world. Then for absolutely no reason, they go to the beach, where six cute girls rub lotion on eachothers tits for five minutes. The Bruces attack the criminal compound. “Sir, 3 men are attacking our men, and two of them fight like Bruce Lee.” “Hmmm, sounds like the work of the FBI.” The crime boss injects his fighters with a serum that turns their skin into steel. In other words, they stripped down to their underwear and got covered in gold spray paint. Meanwhile, a little girl asks her mommy if she can eat this grass, and mom says “no, it’s poison.” When the fight spills into their garden, Bruce knocks one of the steel men into the poison grass, which he eats and swallows with Popeye-instinct, and dies in about 3 seconds. Bitch, why you got poison grass in your garden when you have children? The Bruces pick the poison grass and shove it into the mouths of the steel men, one by one, who chew and swallow it, even though they keep seeing the other ones keel over and die.

Not satisfied with a simple thank you from the British FBI, the professor decides it’s time to use the mind control technique he implanted in the Bruces to use them to take over the world. But, he only wants one Bruce, the best one, so he orders them to fight to the death. The pretty nurses, realizing that the professor has gone insane, disconnect the “magnitator” “Stop fighting! We’ve disconnected the magnitator, you are no longer under the professor’s control.” “I guess we owe you a thanks.” Then the Bruces are off for retribution against the professor, but they’ll have to get through is army of martial artists first, and is office is surrounded by a “death light”

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 5:40pm
Kory wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 5:22pm
tepista wrote:
NOW we're talking
Here's my overly-long, spoiler-full review of Clones, which looks like I got tired at the end and just stopped writing

The Clones of Bruce Lee (1977) Bruce Lee is rushed to hospital and dies. A man from the British FBI (yes, FBI) comes in with a professor and takes a syringe full of DNA and says thanks. A few weeks later, the professor has cloned 3 full grown clones, and cleverly names them Bruce Lee 1, Bruce Lee 2 and Bruce Lee 3. They are all trained to the probably unlicensed theme from Rocky. Bruce 1 is sent to infiltrate the set of a Kung Fu film that is a cover operation for the film producers to steal gold from an island. When they suspect Bruce is a spy, they try to kill him on screen, with plans to cash in the box office on his death, but Bruce is havin none of that. 

Then Bruce 2 and 3 are sent to Thailand, were they meet another Kung Fu contact, and their mission is to take down a crime lord with plans to take over the world. Then for absolutely no reason, they go to the beach, where six cute girls rub lotion on eachothers tits for five minutes. The Bruces attack the criminal compound. “Sir, 3 men are attacking our men, and two of them fight like Bruce Lee.” “Hmmm, sounds like the work of the FBI.” The crime boss injects his fighters with a serum that turns their skin into steel. In other words, they stripped down to their underwear and got covered in gold spray paint. Meanwhile, a little girl asks her mommy if she can eat this grass, and mom says “no, it’s poison.” When the fight spills into their garden, Bruce knocks one of the steel men into the poison grass, which he eats and swallows with Popeye-instinct, and dies in about 3 seconds. Bitch, why you got poison grass in your garden when you have children? The Bruces pick the poison grass and shove it into the mouths of the steel men, one by one, who chew and swallow it, even though they keep seeing the other ones keel over and die.

Not satisfied with a simple thank you from the British FBI, the professor decides it’s time to use the mind control technique he implanted in the Bruces to use them to take over the world. But, he only wants one Bruce, the best one, so he orders them to fight to the death. The pretty nurses, realizing that the professor has gone insane, disconnect the “magnitator” “Stop fighting! We’ve disconnected the magnitator, you are no longer under the professor’s control.” “I guess we owe you a thanks.” Then the Bruces are off for retribution against the professor, but they’ll have to get through is army of martial artists first, and is office is surrounded by a “death light”
I love that two men fighting like Bruce Lee MUST be the FBI.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Just watched a really good time loop movie from 2000 called Frequency starring Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel. A bit far fetched but thoroughly enjoyable. 8/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Watched Judy today. Not a good film. I usually love Renee Zellweger, but not in this.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Gretel And Hansel (2020) After the death of her husband, the wife becomes insane and sends her children (Gretal and Hansel) into the woods to fend for themselves. The movie got the creepy atmosphere right, but the plot and pacing is pretty average. Maybe worh seeing if it's a matinee ticket.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I learned that there was a fan edit of Exorcist III based on, as best could be determined, Blatty's director's cut, which has been lost. The exorcism scene that was forced in by studio execs (and never made a lick of sense) is cut from this version, plus a few new scenes inserted. Downloaded and watched this afternoon. The narrative is better, more coherent, in this version, tho the ending is a bit abrupt, but the limitations are understandable given that it was a fan working with what they could.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 8:56pm
Gretel And Hansel (2020) After the death of her husband, the wife becomes insane and sends her children (Gretal and Hansel) into the woods to fend for themselves. The movie got the creepy atmosphere right, but the plot and pacing is pretty average. Maybe worh seeing if it's a matinee ticket.
I was considering a matinee/double feature but then I didn't. Maybe next week. The director, Oz Perkins, is Anthony's son, and director of one of my top hororrs of the decade, The Blackcoat's Daughter