movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: movies

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 4:57pm
I learned that there was a fan edit of Exorcist III based on, as best could be determined, Blatty's director's cut, which has been lost. The exorcism scene that was forced in by studio execs (and never made a lick of sense) is cut from this version, plus a few new scenes inserted. Downloaded and watched this afternoon. The narrative is better, more coherent, in this version, tho the ending is a bit abrupt, but the limitations are understandable given that it was a fan working with what they could.
everybody loves E3, maybe I should check it again, it's been years
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

I read an analysis of The Exorcist that suggested that it was really about sexual abuse rather than religion. When I watched it again through that lens it did make more sense to me. Maybe because I don't believe in the supernatural so nothing like that frightens me.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 4:57pm
I learned that there was a fan edit of Exorcist III based on, as best could be determined, Blatty's director's cut, which has been lost. The exorcism scene that was forced in by studio execs (and never made a lick of sense) is cut from this version, plus a few new scenes inserted. Downloaded and watched this afternoon. The narrative is better, more coherent, in this version, tho the ending is a bit abrupt, but the limitations are understandable given that it was a fan working with what they could.
everybody loves E3, maybe I should check it again, it's been years
There are a couple exceptional scenes that, even if you know they're coming, still grab you. But there are also some that fall flat and you can tell contextual material was cut that would have clarified it. But it's a damned solid (proper) sequel.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 5:42pm
I read an analysis of The Exorcist that suggested that it was really about sexual abuse rather than religion. When I watched it again through that lens it did make more sense to me. Maybe because I don't believe in the supernatural so nothing like that frightens me.
I've come across that as well. Sure, it's a valid interpretation, I suppose, but the idea of faith over doubt has better evidence.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Girl Slaves of Morgana Le Fey (1971) Two art students get lost in the woods and find themselves in the castle of Morgana, who has dozens of beautiful women under her power and has ritual blood sacrifices to keep herself eternally young. Nice eurosleaze with plenty of nudity, and a dwarf. In French with subtitles.

The Banana Splits Movie (2019) In a world where the Banana Splits kid’s show has been on the air since 1969, instead of cancelled after two years, a family takes their youngest to see a TV taping, and after the show is cancelled, the animatronics programmer sets the robots to kill! Of course, the Splits were always actors in mascot suits, but killer robots, sure why not. Fun and gory and cheesy, not great but there’s worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

The Girl with All the Gifts (2016) A very original zombie apocalypse movie that goes into the possible evolution of zombies. Gemma Areterton, who was the sexy vampire mom in Byzantium, protects a young girl who could be the cure, while Glen Close wants to experiment on her. Any more info than that might ruin it. 2nd watch for me, outstanding movie with a great ending.

Bliss (2019) An out of work artist on a drug binge gets bit by a vampire and isn’t quite sure if she’s hallucinating or turning. Lots of blood, lots of colors, and she spends a lot of time out of her clothes. Entertaining and only 80 minutes. It gave me flashbacks to Abel Fererra's Driller Killer, the part about a struggling painter trying to finish his/her masterpiece, at least.

Creepshow 2 (1987) Three new stories are a Cigar Store Indian comes to life to avenge a shop owner’s wrongful death; a blob-like creature terrorizes some teens on a raft; and a hit-and-run driver can’t escape the mauled corpse of her accidental victim. George Romero adapted the screenplays from Steven King stories, but unlike the first movie he didn’t direct. That went to Micheal Gornick, who mostly directed TV horror like Darkside and Monsters. This felt like higher quality episodes of those, with a little nudity added, but it didn't have that cool comic book look of the first film.

Iron Sky (2012) A U.S. moon mission ends in an astronaut being captured by Nazis, who have been living on the dark side of the moon since the end of WWII! Now the time is right for an invasion and take over! The current president was a parody of Sarah Palin. Udo Keir plays the fuher. A black astronaut was turned white by nazi scientists, and sent back with a cute nazi chick who slowly realizes she’s on the wrong side. Fun movie with very good CGI.

Popcorn (1991) A college acting class has an all-night sci-fi movie extravaganza as a fundraiser, complete with William Castle-style gimmicks, but a mad killer is picking off the class one by one behind the scenes. With cutie-pie Jill Schoelen, Dee Wallace, and directed by one of the actor from the Porky’s movies. Fun movie, and the bits from the fake movies were entertaining too.

Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) The 15th and final Godzilla title in the Showa era sees Ishiro Honda return to direct after a four film absence. Space aliens reassemble the robot version of Godzilla from the parts left on the bottom of the ocean from the last film and team him up with a dumb-looking Loch Ness type called Titanosaurus. There was a long shot of some boobies in this when they were fixing a human heart in a robot woman, I think they were prosthetic, but still, this movie is for 9 year olds! The big fella would return in 1984.

Darlin’ (2019) A feral, teenage cannibal gets sent to a catholic orphanage, and even though she doesn’t know how speak or what a spoon is, she’s reading the bible in about 3 months. Pollyanna McIntosh (who also directs) reprises her role from 2011’s The Woman. Along with Polly, the big guy who loves the king in Walking Dead was in it too. The plot being so farfetched put me off a little, but it was pretty bloody and I was interested by the end. I doubt I’d care to ever revisit.

Continuing on with HULU's Mediocre Movie of the Month Club:

Into the Dark: Flesh & Blood (2018) Teenage Kim has a severe case of agoraphobia since her mom was brutally murdered by a stranger soon after last Thanksgiving, and hasn’t left the house since. She soon turns up some clues that lead her to believe her dad, (Dermot Mulroney), the only person she trusts, might be responsible, and also might be a prolific serial killer. Did this plot come from the Lifetime movie reject pile? Director Patrick Lussier also did Dracula 2000 and the My Bloody Valentine remake.

Into the Dark: Down (2018) Two strangers get trapped in a high rise elevator for a long weekend and after many hours become friends and possibly romantic before shit hits the fan. The characters make some poor choices. I don’t want to give it away, but it eventually turns into a rip-off of Alexandre Aja’s P2. Once upon a time, director Daniel Stamm made a movie I’m quite fond of, The Last Exorcism.

Into the Dark: Treehouse (2019) Jimmi Simpson (Westworld) is terrorized by a coven of witches for his mistakes of the past in this not-so-subtle #MeToo PSA. It took forever to get going, and by the time it was over the plan was too outrageous to believe. Not good.

Into the Dark: I’m Just Fucking With You (2019) An internet troll on his way to ruin his ex’s wedding stops over at a cheap motel where he is tormented by the practical joking innkeeper. It spiraled out of control to my viewing satisfaction, but what I found really amusing is that both primary characters were completely unlikable, one weasel-like and the other obnoxious, yet I still cared what happened to them. Like in Always Sunny, I guess? This was easily the best Into the Dark yet, as I’m watching them in order, 7 episodes in.

Into the Dark: All That We Destroy (2019) Fearing her son is a sure-fire serial killer in the making, a mom, who also happens to be the world’s foremost cloning expert, and has the best cloning equipment on the planet in one of the rooms of her house, clones her son’s first victim repeatedly in hopes that he might not her again the second time. Or third. Or forth, you get it. This is the first Dark episode that had nudity, though a small amount. The technology was a bit “Black Mirror”. I guess, this was a pretty good episode, and director Chelsea Stardust gets points for having a Bowie-inspired name.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Over the weekend I watched Oscar winners JoJo Rabbit (adapted screenplay) and alleged Best Picture Parasite!!
Loved JoJo Rabbit thought it was a great film.
Parasite not so much a definitely not a best picture Oscar winner.
Although I am biased I highly recommend JoJo Rabbit. Very funny and dark kind of like Monty Python does Anne Frank.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 5:53pm
Over the weekend I watched Oscar winners JoJo Rabbit (adapted screenplay) and alleged Best Picture Parasite!!
Although I am biased I highly recommend JoJo Rabbit. Very funny and dark kind of like Monty Python does Anne Frank.
I loved them both

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 6:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
I loved them both
Yeah JoJo Rabbit was great. Parasite is on my list.
Really wanted to like The Rythm Section [2020] which is about a daughter (Blake Lively) seeking revenge when her parents and siblings are killed. Its slow paced and boring in a couple of scenes. A decent car chase isn't enough to even recommend it for home video.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
JoJo Rabbit was a great watch.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 8:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
I put in on hold at the library a month ago and it still hasn't come in. I've been checking PPV and it hasn't show up yet. Frustrated.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 10:50am
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I put in on hold at the library a month ago and it still hasn't come in. I've been checking PPV and it hasn't show up yet. Frustrated.
I think it's released on DVD tomorrow...which will hopefully also see it on PPV. It's top of my list for movies that I want to see.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:37am
Mimi wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 10:50am
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I think it's released on DVD tomorrow...which will hopefully also see it on PPV. It's top of my list for movies that I want to see.
Not out yet? That would explain a few things.

ETA: just checked. It'll be on PPV tomorrow.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 3:57pm
The Girl with All the Gifts (2016) A very original zombie apocalypse movie that goes into the possible evolution of zombies. Gemma Areterton, who was the sexy vampire mom in Byzantium, protects a young girl who could be the cure, while Glen Close wants to experiment on her. Any more info than that might ruin it. 2nd watch for me, outstanding movie with a great ending.
This is based on a book by one of my favorite comic writers, I've been wanting to read it for a few years.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 4:46pm
tepista wrote:
This is based on a book by one of my favorite comic writers, I've been wanting to read it for a few years.
Yeah? I'm like totally into books now. It only took me 50 years.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 5:01pm
Kory wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 4:46pm
tepista wrote:
Yeah? I'm like totally into books now. It only took me 50 years.
It's my form of meditation. As a novelist he goes under M.R. Carey and has a couple other books. As a comic writer he's Mike Carey and is probably best known for his outstanding run on Lucifer, a spinoff of the Sandman series. It's a lot better than the show, which is based on a more recent run by a different writer.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc