movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: movies

Post by Heston »

You know, I could understand it if I was saying something like Hurry Up Harry by Sham 69 was better than Paranoid, but Another Girl, Another Planet is recognised as a bona fide punk/new wave classic. And we are on a Clash board. :rolleyes:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 2:18pm
You know, I could understand it if I was saying something like Hurry Up Harry by Sham 69 was better than Paranoid, but Another Girl, Another Planet is recognised as a bona fide punk/new wave classic. And we are on a Clash board. :rolleyes:
We're far more than a Clash board. We're a bunch of dorky music fans who have a deep appreciation of a wide swath of music made in the rock era. Even if I grant that AG,AP is a punk classic—it's more power pop than punk to my ears—"Paranoid" is a rock classic. No genre qualifier. It's significant within the history of rock music in the way that the vast majority of songs never are.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 2:31pm
We're far more than a Clash board.
Can we get the IMCT resident musicians to do "More Than a Clash Board" to the tune of Boston's "More Than a Feeling?" I can work on some lyrics.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Can we get the IMCT resident musicians to do "More Than a Clash Board" to the tune of Boston's "More Than a Feeling?" I can work on some lyrics.
or "More Than a Woman" by the BeeGees.
More than CLASH BOARD...More than a Clash board to meeeee, More than a CLASH BOARD

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:11pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
More than CLASH BOARD...More than a Clash board to meeeee, More than a CLASH BOARD
Either is perfectly awful. Can any of our musicians hit the required high notes of either song?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:14pm
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Either is perfectly awful. Can any of our musicians hit the required high notes of either song?
No, so it's probably a good job More Than a Feeling isn't the national anthem.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Granted Im not well versed in new wave or pop but I had never heard of AGAP or the band in question until that whole shit storm started. Paranoid is beyond a doubt a worldwide classic

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I heard it a few days ago—MTaF, not the US national anthem—and was struck that apart from the chorus, especially the kick-ass guitar lead in, the song's pretty meh. I'm looking at my watch waiting for the good part.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:29pm
Granted Im not well versed in new wave or pop but I had never heard of AGAP or the band in question until that whole shit storm started. Paranoid is beyond a doubt a worldwide classic
Incredible.

I just googled "best punk and new wave songs ever" and it's there in the top five results just behind Heart of Glass, Turning Japanese and Is She Really Going Out With Him?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:

I heard it a few days ago—MTaF, not the US national anthem—and was struck that apart from the chorus, especially the kick-ass guitar lead in, the song's pretty meh. I'm looking at my watch waiting for the good part.
Nah, it's exquisite, all of it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:29pm
It should be required that any band that wants to make a go of it be able to do a cover. I'm only half-joking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

You've never advocated tedium before—I'm surprised.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

OK. Another Girl by Only Ones, or Whips & Furs by Vibrators, since they're the SAME FUCKING SONG! (Another Girl for sure!) :)

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:39pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think it has other fans on the board. I'll avoid thread drift and start a poll or something.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:39pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I think it has other fans on the board. I'll avoid thread drift and start a poll or something.
We go to the polls more often than failing democracies!