movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 8:07pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 5:39pm
25. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins (1984)
Apropos of nothing, really, but a friend's lyrics were "Hold my mound / Buff my muff." A real shame he didn't pursue things any further.
I had a roommate who was always doing that.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 8:08pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 8:03pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 5:39pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 5:18pm
Blondie, Devo, Elvis, Pretenders cant recall which.
I've bolded the songs I like, they are mostly great...
You're at around 60% and Im closer to 10-15%.

Im surprised you didn't select the Kajajaroo song.
Nah, they were rubbish. Don't tell me you don't like "In a Big Country? "
Honestly, no I dont. Plenty of people have recommended them to me amd Im pretty sure I got requests for them when I was doing some radio (which I never fulfilled).

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

OK then, how about some movies? :)

Possessor (2020) Brandon Cronenberg writes and directs, and daddy should be proud of this crazy, violent, sci-fi about brain control, internet spying and all kinds of weird shit. The bloody FX were jaw-dropping, that’s was the realest-looking shit I can recall seeing, ever! I’m still not even sure how much I liked the movie, but it was never dull and I was still thinking about it days later. Plus nudity! The only actor’s name I recognized was Jennifer Jason Leigh, and even then I had to see it in the end credits and say “Oh shit, that WAS her!”

The Dark and the Wicked (2020) A brother and sister visit the farm home of their old and sick parents and it soon becomes clear there is a sinister presence at work. I grow weary of “ghost in the house” movies, but the scares in this one were legit creepy and serious. Good stuff from the Texas-born writer/director of The Strangers and The Monster. I guess I like him better when he adds more words to the title.

Relic (2020) A young woman and her mother visit the home of grandma, and find it full of mold, post-it notes, and increasingly odd and violent behavior. This allegoric, Aussie horror-drama was slow paced and the payoff was a bit light for my tastes. I found it about as exciting as watching the mold spread. A lot of people seem to like it though, it was well made and well acted, I’ll give it that.

Don’t Listen aka Voces (2020) A couple moves into a large house with intent to flip it, when their young son hears his own father’s voice come out of a walkie-talking telling him “I hate you!” From there it gets even better. This was a solid haunting from start to finish, serious tone, and lots of good scares. In Spanish with subs. I like the Spanish title, Voces, better, which obviously translates to “Voices”.

Fingers (2019) A woman has an irrational fear of of any person with the slightest deformity, so when a co-worker shows up to work missing a finger, she loses her shit. He nonchalantly comes back each day, with an additional finger gone. Add some criminals with odd intentions and a money-grubbing self-help psychiatrist, and this is one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen. I’m not saying it was particularly good or bad, but there’s nothing like it.

Dorian Gray aka The Secret of Dorian Gray (1970) Helmut Berger is the title character who falls in love with a portrait of himself and proceeds to live a libertine lifestyle, crushing the hearts of men and women alike, and maintaining eternal youth while his portrait grows old and decrepit, in this adaption of Oscar Wilde’s classic novel from Massimo Dallamano, the writer/director of What Have You Done to Solange. Loaded with sex and sprinkled with nudity from several beautiful women, and a bit of murder. Almost everyone in this movie, including Herbert Lom, can be found in Jess Franco films, I would have sworn I was watching one.

Vampira aka Old Dracula (1974) They changed the name of this Brit comedy so it would look good on a double bill with Young Frankenstein in the states, but despite an OK plot, and scores of pretty women, this was quite the stinker. David Niven is Dracula, and he uses a cocktail of supermodel blood to revive his dead wife, but she comes back black. He wants to “cure” her, and she wants to remain in her new skin color, and she even learns to “jive talk” after watching an exploitation movie. Teresa Graves of TV’s “Get Christie Love” was the title character, and Hammer alumnus Linda Hayden and Veronica Carlson were among the many attractive ladies. The jokes were flat, the actresses were not. A small amount of nudity, you could get away with that in PG movies of the 70s.

The Corruption of Chris Miller (1973) Psychosexual Spanish giallo with Jean Seberg as a woman living in a mansion with her mentally unstable stepdaughter. They invite a drifter/handyman into their life, and their beds, but soon find he might be responsible for the rash of brutal murder/robberies in the region. Not loaded with action, but there is a bit of blood, and some sex and depravity without nudity, but the twisted relationship between stepmom and daughter were worth the watch. Also, murder by a Charlie Chaplin impersonator was a kick. I thought this was very good.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:14pm
tepista wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:11pm
tepista wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:00pm

Can we get the IMCT resident musicians to do "More Than a Clash Board" to the tune of Boston's "More Than a Feeling?" I can work on some lyrics.
or "More Than a Woman" by the BeeGees.
More than CLASH BOARD...More than a Clash board to meeeee, More than a CLASH BOARD
Either is perfectly awful. Can any of our musicians hit the required high notes of either song?
No, so it's probably a good job More Than a Feeling isn't the national anthem.
I heard it a few days ago—MTaF, not the US national anthem—and was struck that apart from the chorus, especially the kick-ass guitar lead in, the song's pretty meh. I'm looking at my watch waiting for the good part.
I loathe that song with every fiber of my being, though it may be because my worst ex (the Paranormal Activity guy) loved Boston. Should have been a red flag.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Also, Heston, Fade to Gray by Visage is a stone cold classic and you are a monster for not bolding that one.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 2:36pm
Also, Heston, Fade to Gray by Visage is a stone cold classic and you are a monster for not bolding that one.
YES
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
Oversight. I really like that song..
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 2:49pm
JennyB wrote:
Good. You will live to see another day!
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 2:49pm
JennyB wrote:
Hmm never heard it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 2:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:14pm
tepista wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 4:11pm

or "More Than a Woman" by the BeeGees.
More than CLASH BOARD...More than a Clash board to meeeee, More than a CLASH BOARD
Either is perfectly awful. Can any of our musicians hit the required high notes of either song?
No, so it's probably a good job More Than a Feeling isn't the national anthem.
I heard it a few days ago—MTaF, not the US national anthem—and was struck that apart from the chorus, especially the kick-ass guitar lead in, the song's pretty meh. I'm looking at my watch waiting for the good part.
I loathe that song with every fiber of my being, though it may be because my worst ex (the Paranormal Activity guy) loved Boston. Should have been a red flag.
Take your revenge by stabbing Heston in the ear in his MTaF poll.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Just watched the latest Pixar release - Soul. Definitely not a kids movie as far as I can tell. Interesting meditation on the soul and meaning of life type stuff. Definitely takes what seems like it will be a predictable premise and takes a few unexpected turns. I enjoyed it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 4:39pm
Just watched the latest Pixar release - Soul. Definitely not a kids movie as far as I can tell. Interesting meditation on the soul and meaning of life type stuff. Definitely takes what seems like it will be a predictable premise and takes a few unexpected turns. I enjoyed it.
Got about twenty minutes into it with the three year old but had to turn it off. It seemed really interesting and I’d like to get back to it, but it was somewhat confusing and upsetting to her.

So yeah, you are right. Not a kids movie.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

i did an all-repeat week a week or two ago:

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker aka Night Warning (1982) Billy has been staying with his aunt (Susan Tyrell) since the (brutal and graphic) car accident death of his parents when he was a baby. Now that he’s about to leave home on a basketball scholarship, his aunt will do anything to keep him home. She stabs a TV repairman in her home and cries rape. The police detective (hatefully portrayed by Bo Svenson) doesn’t buy it after he detects that the repairman was homosexual, and suspects that Billy’s aunt is covering for him. Svenson says “fag” at least 2 dozen times. This was one of the original Video Nasties. Some nudity and a nice body count by the time it was over. Interesting directing credit in this one. William Asher (hubby of Liz Montgomery) had hundreds of sitcom episodes under his belt as director and producer, including I Love Lucy, Bewitched and countless others, as well as few Frankie & Annette beach romps, but nothing even resembling horror. An odd choice, but it turned out to be a fun and very entertaining movie.

The Atticus Institute (2015) Faux-Documentary about a hospital in the mid to late 70s that specializes in testing on ESP, telekinesis, etc. One day the real deal arrives, a woman who can read minds, move objects, and even cause offsite mayhem to occur. When the military gets involved in the project, they try to weaponize her powers, but thanks to dark forces, that proves to be an extremely dangerous task. I thought was a fresh take on a tired subject, and found it to be far more entertaining than expected.

Grotesque (1988) Fun campy nonsense with Linda Blair and her friend (Donna Wilkes from one of my all time faves, Angel (1984)) go to visit Linda’s parents up in the mountains. Her dad is a Hollywood FX guy, so right away you know there’s gonna be a handful of false scares. A van full of over the top bad acting "punk rockers" crash the house to rob it, and end up killing most of the inhabitants. One thing they didn’t count on, was that this house also included a giant retarded deformed man-child, who chases the punks out into the snow for revenge. Some cops get involved, Tab Hunter shows up as a grieving uncle. Nice sick twist ending. Harmless 80s entertainment, coulda used some nudity, but worth a view.

American Mary (2012) Jen and Sylvia Soska, Canada’s movie-making goth twins 2nd film is a real winner. Katherine Isabelle (Ginger Snaps) plays Mary, a near-graduated med student specializing in surgery, who has a rude awakening when she finds herself victim of her once-trusted teachers’ monthly rape-parties. She quits school and opens an underground body-modification practice, with the help of a strip club owner and his colorful employees, with some revenge on the side. Some of the more memorable clients include a human Betty Boop, a living Barbie, and the Soska Sisters themselves as a pair of demon-girls. Outstanding visuals and interesting characters. This one deserves multiple views.

May (2002) Lucky McKee’s cult classic about an outcast young woman (Angela Bettis) who’s lifelong disappointment in relationships inspires her to build a friend of her own. Also with Jeremy Sisto and Anna Farris, this is one of the best movies of the decade.

Stage Fright aka Deliria (1987) After years as an assistant for Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava, Michel Soavi hits the nail on the head in his feature directorial debut with this great, gory slasher about a group of stage actors locked in a theater with a maniac in an owl costume.

Nekromantik (1987) Rob and Betty are your typical young German couple. They keep a glass jar full of eyeballs on their mantle, enjoy taking blood baths, and when Rob is able to bring a putrid corpse home from a day of street sweeping, they fit it with broomhandle dick and have a threesome with it. But poor Rob sinks in to a depression when he loses his job and Betty hits the road with the body. I’ll say it does have a “happy ending” though. Not much more than a 71 minute excuse to be as vile as possible. In German with subs. There’s a sequel I’ve never seen, maybe next week!

From a Whisper to a Scream aka the Offspring (1987) A four story anthology with Vincent Price telling stories of the town’s brutal history to Susan Tyrell. 1. A man with an obsessive crush on an office worker kills and fucks her. 2. a Voodoo spell gives a dying man a second chance at life, but he wants more. 3. A group of circus freaks are ruled with an iron fist by the sideshow owner, and 4. a group of North soldiers stumble across the wrong town on their way home from the war. Good, not great, and pretty violent.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »