movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 4:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 4:12pm
The Boss showed me an on-demand movie channel we have—apparently we've had it for years, something I was wholly unaware of—so I picked After Hours, one of my favourites. Fantastic black humour within a Kafkaesque New York night.
Didn't you just watch this a couple months ago, or were you just talking about it? I wound up watching it at that time since I was intrigued and liked it a lot.
Probably when I posted Au Revoir Simone's "Crazy" video, which compresses the narrative into three minutes.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss showed me an on-demand movie channel we have—apparently we've had it for years, something I was wholly unaware of—so I picked After Hours, one of my favourites. Fantastic black humour within a Kafkaesque New York night.
Great movie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 5:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5 ... @._V1_.jpg
Great movie.
His girlfriend killed herself tonight. Is that a coincidence? No, because the same girl who I came downtown to see was dead, too. That's because they're the same person. They're both dead!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Nightmare Alley (2021) Bradly Cooper as Stan Carlisle a young man who literally burns his past and ends up joining a carnival. His talent for "reading" people leads to a clairvoyant act that brings fame and money. He then meets a female psychiatrist (Kate Blanchett) who might have hidden intensions. Damn this was good.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 6:13pm

Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation (1990) A low level newspaper reporter tries to advance her career by uncovering a suicide which she believes may be spontaneous combustion. She ends up getting involved with Maud (Octopussy) Adams and her coven of witches or pagans, with help from homeless Clint Howard and a bunch of dog-sized roaches and and some slimy centipede-like creatures. Brian Yuzna, who also directed the ReAnimator sequels and Society, has all the gross-out body horror you’d expect from him. I enjoyed this a lot more than my notes indicated ten years ago, perhaps due to the beautiful, and sometimes naked Neith Hunter, who played the lead.

Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker (1991) This is a re-working of Pinocchio, Mickey Rooney (in a straight to video slasher!?!?) is the old toy maker, and his son Pino, and their toys attack and kill the recipients. It started slow, but there was a good scene late in the film where a babysitter and her boyfriend were mauled by assorted toys, and then the twist ending ending was kinda twisted/interesting. Neith Hunter and Clint Howard form part 4 had cameos.
They really just gave up on the christmas theme, huh?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 1:26pm
tepista wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 6:13pm

Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation (1990) A low level newspaper reporter tries to advance her career by uncovering a suicide which she believes may be spontaneous combustion. She ends up getting involved with Maud (Octopussy) Adams and her coven of witches or pagans, with help from homeless Clint Howard and a bunch of dog-sized roaches and and some slimy centipede-like creatures. Brian Yuzna, who also directed the ReAnimator sequels and Society, has all the gross-out body horror you’d expect from him. I enjoyed this a lot more than my notes indicated ten years ago, perhaps due to the beautiful, and sometimes naked Neith Hunter, who played the lead.

Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker (1991) This is a re-working of Pinocchio, Mickey Rooney (in a straight to video slasher!?!?) is the old toy maker, and his son Pino, and their toys attack and kill the recipients. It started slow, but there was a good scene late in the film where a babysitter and her boyfriend were mauled by assorted toys, and then the twist ending ending was kinda twisted/interesting. Neith Hunter and Clint Howard form part 4 had cameos.
They really just gave up on the christmas theme, huh?
They took place around Christmas, and there were some decorations, but Xmas was not key to the story for sure.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Thomas Chong?" Was that a short lived bid for respectability? Cheech Marin is in it too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 1:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Thomas Chong?" Was that a short lived bid for respectability? Cheech Marin is in it too.
Ha! The Boss made the same observation when we watched it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 2:03pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They should get together and call themselves Chong & Cheech.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 5:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 2:03pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They should get together and call themselves Chong & Cheech.
David is here.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Anyone watch Don't Look Up! ? I tried it yesterday, but meh. It just seemed like it was trying too hard to be funny. And I don't know what it is about Neflix movies, but 99% of the time, I hate them. The Dig is about the only one that I really liked.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Mimi wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 2:14pm
Anyone watch Don't Look Up! ? I tried it yesterday, but meh. It just seemed like it was trying too hard to be funny. And I don't know what it is about Neflix movies, but 99% of the time, I hate them. The Dig is about the only one that I really liked.
I watched it, I thought it was pretty good although it needed some editing. It's an obvious movie, but I think the obviousness I warranted given the targets.

Netflix generally doesn't produce good movies or television. they're designed to be binged with the viewer only paying half (or less) attention. None of it is meant to be consumed end to end. Even here, where you have actual movie talents making the movie, it can't help but add algorithmically inspired flab.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
My wife and I watched it New Years eve into New Year. It was ok. I'm not at all a fan of Leonardo and found the whole notion that women on social media and the TV personality played by Cate Blanchett were swept up by his sexiness was a bit far fetched but maybe that was part of the critique.

All that aside I found it slow to start, it improved over time but yeah.

I decided to look up Dig on IMDB and was entertained by this in the Parents Guide:
A woman and a man have sex behind a wall. He is on top of her. For those who want to fast forward, it happens briefly at 1:41:51.
Was that meant for people who want to FF to that scene or away from it?

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 3:14pm
Mimi wrote:
My wife and I watched it New Years eve into New Year. It was ok. I'm not at all a fan of Leonardo and found the whole notion that women on social media and the TV personality played by Cate Blanchett were swept up by his sexiness was a bit far fetched but maybe that was part of the critique.

All that aside I found it slow to start, it improved over time but yeah.

I decided to look up Dig on IMDB and was entertained by this in the Parents Guide:
A woman and a man have sex behind a wall. He is on top of her. For those who want to fast forward, it happens briefly at 1:41:51.
Was that meant for people who want to FF to that scene or away from it?
It must have happened so briefly that I don't remember it. lol

But, yeah, what better way to draw attention to something...