The Mighty America's Finest News Source Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty America's Finest News Source Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 11:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:49am
JennyB wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 9:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:09pm
revbob wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 6:57pm

Its amazing how so many fat, old, unatheletic (now or ever) white men are up in arms over this.
Guys who are traumatized by just the idea of discussion of systemic racism are willing to call a woman who was abused by her coach and also possesses the physical and mental toughness to compete and succeed at the highest, most public stage. It also takes an amazing toughness and sense of self to step away in such a public forum. If you want to understand white and male privilege, that's a good example to start with.
Yep. I'd also like to see any of them even try to WALK across a four inch wide beam and see what happens. If they can even hoist themselves up on it in the first place.

It was like all of the people who made fun of Greg Louganis when he hit his head.
I remember Hannity saying he'd be waterboarded live on tv to show it isn't that bad. Someday his schedule will open up enough for that to happen, I'm sure.
Christopher Hitchens took the same challenge

No way is Hannity doing that.
Hitchens' turn to the right was. to say the least, disappointing, but he stayed a figure of principle, terrible and noble.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

There's a huge difference in waterboarding someone in a controlled environment where you're being carefully watched and wanting to portray a specific agenda.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 11:48am
oliver wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 11:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:49am
JennyB wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 9:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:09pm

Guys who are traumatized by just the idea of discussion of systemic racism are willing to call a woman who was abused by her coach and also possesses the physical and mental toughness to compete and succeed at the highest, most public stage. It also takes an amazing toughness and sense of self to step away in such a public forum. If you want to understand white and male privilege, that's a good example to start with.
Yep. I'd also like to see any of them even try to WALK across a four inch wide beam and see what happens. If they can even hoist themselves up on it in the first place.

It was like all of the people who made fun of Greg Louganis when he hit his head.
I remember Hannity saying he'd be waterboarded live on tv to show it isn't that bad. Someday his schedule will open up enough for that to happen, I'm sure.
Christopher Hitchens took the same challenge

No way is Hannity doing that.
Hitchens' turn to the right was. to say the least, disappointing, but he stayed a figure of principle, terrible and noble.
I love Hitchens dearly, the quality of his writing and the way he continually questions himself, so while it was very dispiriting to see him morph into a hawk, I genuinely find it hard to be angry with him about it.

On that waterboarding I believe after the video ended and the camera was removed, hitch asked for them to do it again which they duly obliged.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 1:47pm
I love Hitchens dearly, the quality of his writing and the way he continually questions himself, so while it was very dispiriting to see him morph into a hawk, I genuinely find it hard to be angry with him about it.
His writing was something to savour. Such purpose in his prose. I remember his piece on Jerry Falwell's death, he refers to Falwell's "carcass" being discovered. That word choice alone conveys so damned much about his opinion of Falwell and it's so damned succinct.

My understanding of his turn to the right was that it was fueled by both his antitheism, which for whatever reason he saw militant Islam as more dangerous than militant Christianity, but even more so that he'd spent his entire life on the loser's side of events, and finally wanted to be with the winners. If this is true, what a sad and shallow reason. And an especially dumb time to switch, as the Iraq occupation is understood to be a key event in the collapse of American influence.

But, damn, that writing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 2:12pm
for whatever reason
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
for whatever reason
Is there evidence that he was racist? That is, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't come across claims that his perspective was motivated by race.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
His writing was something to savour. Such purpose in his prose. I remember his piece on Jerry Falwell's death, he refers to Falwell's "carcass" being discovered. That word choice alone conveys so damned much about his opinion of Falwell and it's so damned succinct.

My understanding of his turn to the right was that it was fueled by both his antitheism, which for whatever reason he saw militant Islam as more dangerous than militant Christianity, but even more so that he'd spent his entire life on the loser's side of events, and finally wanted to be with the winners. If this is true, what a sad and shallow reason. And an especially dumb time to switch, as the Iraq occupation is understood to be a key event in the collapse of American influence.

But, damn, that writing.
I'm reading Martin Amis' (weird) not-quite-novel-not-quite-memoir at the moment and he -or the Amis character at least - tries to defend Hitchens on the basis he was so desperate to see regime change in Iraq that the support for Bush and the neocons was no more than an arrangement of convenience; because he simply couldn't trust Kerry or other Dems to do it so threw his weight behind the other side. Really, that he never fundamentally quit the left at all. Sounds very tenuous. I think i mentioned last week that he had a weird thing for Thatcher too. So I'm just inclined to think he was a very complex, irascible character who at times got drunk on his own power and fame, which led him down some questionable paths. But, as you say, that writing. At his best, he was simply peerless.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

But, damn, that writing.
I'm reading Martin Amis' (weird) not-quite-novel-not-quite-memoir at the moment and he -or the Amis character at least - tries to defend Hitchens on the basis he was so desperate to see regime change in Iraq that the support for Bush and the neocons was no more than an arrangement of convenience; because he simply couldn't trust Kerry or other Dems to do it so threw his weight behind the other side. Really, that he never fundamentally quit the left at all. Sounds very tenuous. I think i mentioned last week that he had a weird thing for Thatcher too. So I'm just inclined to think he was a very complex, irascible character who at times got drunk on his own power and fame, which led him down some questionable paths. But, as you say, that writing. At his best, he was simply peerless.
Several years ago I read Daniel Oppenheimer's Exit Right, a collection of short biographies of liberals/leftists who turned to the right. Hitchens was the last chapter. I don't recall his assessment, but I do recall the Thatcher thing. It was an almost lust thing, her confidence and brutality. Which, yeah, I guess for a Trotskyite. And American neoconservatism was founded by disillusioned Trotskyites back in the 60s/70s, so there is an intellectual path there, a way to channel that romance for revolution.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 3:53pm
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

But, damn, that writing.
Several years ago I read Daniel Oppenheimer's Exit Right, a collection of short biographies of liberals/leftists who turned to the right. Hitchens was the last chapter. I don't recall his assessment, but I do recall the Thatcher thing. It was an almost lust thing, her confidence and brutality. Which, yeah, I guess for a Trotskyite. And American neoconservatism was founded by disillusioned Trotskyites back in the 60s/70s, so there is an intellectual path there, a way to channel that romance for revolution.
Very interesting perspective. The thing with Thatcher was lust alright, he once famously bent over so she could spank him, believe it or not. Plain weird and creepy, he actually had the hots for her!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I wasnt a fan, even before his switch.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 5:31pm
Plain weird and creepy, he actually had the hots for her!
Sounds like the makings of a Derek and Clive sketch
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 9:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 5:31pm
Plain weird and creepy, he actually had the hots for her!
Sounds like the makings of a Derek and Clive sketch
It does indeed. I guess we should at least be grateful we never got the Spitting Image sketch, not sure the nation would have been ready for that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 11:52am
This is pure gold: https://thehardtimes.net/culture/metall ... teenagers/
"Teach viewers how to be in a band." Fuck sake. Pay off line is great.