Today I learned …

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Today I learned …

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 9:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 8:42am
… Jimmy "Hen-reee! … Henry Aldrich" Lydon is still alive at 95. Pre-cable (back in the 70s) on Saturday mornings, after cartoons, our CTV station would play either Abbott and Costello movies or Henry Aldrich movies.
I love the Aldrich Family radio show, although Ezra Stone played Henry. Anyway...
Feh, radio. Motion pictures are where it's at, grandma, especially now that they're talkies!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
… Jimmy "Hen-reee! … Henry Aldrich" Lydon is still alive at 95. Pre-cable (back in the 70s) on Saturday mornings, after cartoons, our CTV station would play either Abbott and Costello movies or Henry Aldrich movies.
I love the Aldrich Family radio show, although Ezra Stone played Henry. Anyway...
Today I learned about all the above

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
We got Abbbott and Costello in the school holidays but my favourite was Harold Lloyd.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 10:52am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You guys are missing out. Radio plays are making a comeback. Stay tuned. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 5:22pm
revbob wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 10:52am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You guys are missing out. Radio plays are making a comeback. Stay tuned. :shifty:
Mimi and rcs, sittin' in a tree …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

that, in cannibal forum vernacular, the person who wishes to eat human meat is called "chef" and the person who desires to be eaten is called "long pig".

Did the Longpigs ever tour Germany I wonder.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 3:53pm
that, in cannibal forum vernacular, the person who wishes to eat human meat is called "chef" and the person who desires to be eaten is called "long pig".

I believe it comes from Papua New Ginea who referred to white Europeans as Long Pigs as apparently that is what we taste like.
Palangi is a translation and a slang word used throughout the Pacific and in particular Samoan and Tongan culture for white people however in a derogatory way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:

Interesting, but this thread is for things learned today, not part of the core curriculum in every school in Bavaria.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:18pm
Olaf wrote:

I believe it comes from Papua New Ginea who referred to white Europeans as Long Pigs as apparently that is what we taste like.
Palangi is a translation and a slang word used throughout the Pacific and in particular Samoan and Tongan culture for white people however in a derogatory way.
Fascinating stuff. Isn't language great.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:27pm
Olaf wrote:

Interesting, but this thread is for things learned today, not part of the core curriculum in every school in Bavaria.
Must've played hooky on that day.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Fine, have a nut.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:54pm
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Fine, have a nut.
None left.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Fine, have a nut.
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_to_Bali
...Woody and Buzz Buzzard seek the attention of a curvacious Balinese woman named Babalu who wants to sacrifice them to the angry volcano god of her island, who is in need of long pig for his dinner instead of his usual vegetables. ...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:41pm
Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fine, have a nut.
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.
Palangi