Today I learned …

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Today I learned …

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 9:38am
revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 8:43am
BitterTom wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 4:41am
I've missed the strange tangents on this forum a reply can muster, good to see you all again :approve:
One of our finest features to be sure.
It's certainly driven away people who join just to talk about *ugh* The Clash.
Ewww that's what my dad listens to.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 9:38am
revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 8:43am
BitterTom wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 4:41am
I've missed the strange tangents on this forum a reply can muster, good to see you all again :approve:
One of our finest features to be sure.
It's certainly driven away people who join just to talk about *ugh* The Clash.
Ewww that's what my dad listens to.
The Clash: Music For People With Mortgages.™
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Jimmy Stewart sufficiently enjoyed bombing America's enemies to re-enlist in the Air Force during the Vietnam War and fly a few missions.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 8:37am
Jimmy Stewart sufficiently enjoyed bombing America's enemies to re-enlist in the Air Force during the Vietnam War and fly a few missions.
Yeah, he's a curious case of being a hard-right conservative yet his prominent acting resume was for playing simple and basic, kind men. An actor whose work I generally love but require not thinking about the actual man.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 8:59am
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah, he's a curious case of being a hard-right conservative yet his prominent acting resume was for playing simple and basic, kind men. An actor whose work I generally love but require not thinking about the actual man.
I'm often surprised by how many of the old Hollywood actors were conservative, not hard to imagine that some would have been Trump supporters.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm often surprised by how many of the old Hollywood actors were conservative, not hard to imagine that some would have been Trump supporters.
They came of age and into their own during the New Deal and welfare state, playing roles to appeal to, what was then, predominantly liberal audience, so it seems to make sense that the actors themselves wouldn't be so removed from the general population. But for every Henry Fonda, there's a Jimmy Stewart and a Ronald Reagan.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 10:05am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
They came of age and into their own during the New Deal and welfare state, playing roles to appeal to, what was then, predominantly liberal audience, so it seems to make sense that the actors themselves wouldn't be so removed from the general population. But for every Henry Fonda, there's a Jimmy Stewart and a Ronald Reagan.
Of course Ronnie was a Hollywood liberal in the New Deal days. Before General Electric sent him on a Shithead Apprenticeship Course, round the country to give speeches, on a train with a satchelful of books called things like: Unions: Shoot them All, Or Just the Leaders? and Why Stalin is Coming to California to Wreck Your Marriage.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 12:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 10:05am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Of course Ronnie was a Hollywood liberal in the New Deal days. Before General Electric sent him on a Shithead Apprenticeship Course, round the country to give speeches, on a train with a satchelful of books called things like: Unions: Shoot them All, Or Just the Leaders? and Why Stalin is Coming to California to Wreck Your Marriage.
And, even as president, he maintained that FDR was his political hero. He regarded the New Deal as a valid attempt to deal with a crisis, but a permanent welfare state an abomination. There is a logic in that, even if he was certainly guided more by a greater income than consistent principle there.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

... that Spider-Man is called Spindelmannen in Swedish. I like that.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1704362775981.jpg
FB_IMG_1704362775981.jpg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
04 Jan 2024, 11:30am
... that Spider-Man is called Spindelmannen in Swedish. I like that.
Years and years ago, I saw some stand-up on tv give him a Jewish spin—pronounced SPEE-der-mun. As in Abraham Speederman. That was the funniest part of the bit (I assume, given that that's what I remember).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

… Barbara "Agent 99" Feldon is still alive and that in the late 50s she won $64K on The $64,000 Question.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 4:14pm
… Barbara "Agent 99" Feldon is still alive and that in the late 50s she won $64K on The $64,000 Question.
An early TV crush for sure.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

… the model/inspiration for Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World couldn't walk but also refused to use a wheelchair. The painting therefore becomes an image of defiance rather than something more pastoral.

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/7 ... 0to%20walk.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

… Mike Post, who composed a ton of well-known tv theme songs (e.g. Rockford Files, LA Law, Law & Order, Hill Street Blues), was the producer for Van Halen III (the one with Gary Cherone).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 8:45pm
… Mike Post, who composed a ton of well-known tv theme songs (e.g. Rockford Files, LA Law, Law & Order, Hill Street Blues), was the producer for Van Halen III (the one with Gary Cherone).
Does anyone know what that album sounds like? For better or worse, worse for sure I know how DLR and SH sound so I can normally say this is VH when a song comes on the radio. But Gary Cerone? I have no idea.