It's Always Sunny – Season 6

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: It's Always Sunny – Season 6

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Just watched the new one. Hilarious. Especially the ostrich.
Fabulous. Loved the waitress' date getting bigger in Mac's memory.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Also just watched the latest Todd Margaret. Much better in terms of The Funny and in movie the story forward meaningfully. I still can't recommend it, but it did make me laugh almost as much as all the previous episodes combined.
Haven't seen that yet. I was kinda skeptical from the previews. Maybe I'm just inclined to go in not liking it because the HBO pilot with Odenkirk didn't pan out and this automatically feels like a lame consolation prize. Anyway, keep us posted on whether or not it continues to improve.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

New Member: 4.8/5

Highlight: Charlie's reaction to the news...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New episode didn't do much for me. Liked Dee as Frankenstein's monster and her song, but, meh, nothing that I'd use to sell someone on the show.

Final episode of the season for Todd Margaret. Man, maybe it'll improve by rewatching the whole batch, but it really amazes me that DC was on Mr. Show. Which is to say that the writing just isn't well fleshed out, and Mr. Show had some amazing writing. Someone who has been in the biz for as long as DC should be able to tell the difference between gags and proper scripts. Each episode has a good-to-great gag or two, but as a whole it just doesn't work. Best part is Johnny Marr's music.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:New episode didn't do much for me. Liked Dee as Frankenstein's monster and her song, but, meh, nothing that I'd use to sell someone on the show.
It reminded me a lot of Mac and Dennis Break Up, actually — an ep I didn't really rate until I saw it again recently.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:New episode didn't do much for me. Liked Dee as Frankenstein's monster and her song, but, meh, nothing that I'd use to sell someone on the show.
It reminded me a lot of Mac and Dennis Break Up, actually — an ep I didn't really rate until I saw it again recently.
I will be watching it again, but there wasn't a whole lot that clicked for me. You know that the new guy won't work out, but the way that they get there just wasn't all that funny or absurd for me.

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Final episode of the season for Todd Margaret. Man, maybe it'll improve by rewatching the whole batch, but it really amazes me that DC was on Mr. Show. Which is to say that the writing just isn't well fleshed out, and Mr. Show had some amazing writing. Someone who has been in the biz for as long as DC should be able to tell the difference between gags and proper scripts. Each episode has a good-to-great gag or two, but as a whole it just doesn't work.
Hope I'm wrong here, but it could just be The Law of Diminishing Returns setting in—or maybe Cross is just more standup-oriented and Odenkirk was more suited to television writing/acting and those sensibilities happened to balance each other out really perfectly for Mr. Show. Remember, DC's role on Arrested Development was initially supposed to be temporary; and Odenkirk is certainly great on Breaking Bad.
Best part is Johnny Marr's music.
Didn't know he was involved. Will have to check it out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Howard Beale wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Final episode of the season for Todd Margaret. Man, maybe it'll improve by rewatching the whole batch, but it really amazes me that DC was on Mr. Show. Which is to say that the writing just isn't well fleshed out, and Mr. Show had some amazing writing. Someone who has been in the biz for as long as DC should be able to tell the difference between gags and proper scripts. Each episode has a good-to-great gag or two, but as a whole it just doesn't work.
Hope I'm wrong here, but it could just be The Law of Diminishing Returns setting in—or maybe Cross is just more standup-oriented and Odenkirk was more suited to television writing/acting and those sensibilities happened to balance each other out really perfectly for Mr. Show. Remember, DC's role on Arrested Development was initially supposed to be temporary; and Odenkirk is certainly great on Breaking Bad.
Even DC's last comedy album was pretty meh. And his book seemed like a collection of previously shelved or underdeveloped ideas. He might be in the final arc of his time as a relevant comedian. I dunno. He just hasn't done much for me since, well, perhaps since AD. And there he wasn't expected to carry the show—he was one of an ensemble that didn't have a single weak link. Plus superb writing didn't hurt. He's still built up enough cred with me that I'll immediately check out whatever he's involved in, but the withdrawals from the bank have been adding up of late.
Best part is Johnny Marr's music.
Didn't know he was involved. Will have to check it out.
Both the theme song and incidental music. The theme is very Smiths-like—just that easy Marr style that seems to rip off a great hook so effortlessly.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Steve Coogan's doing a new series of Alan Partridge. For Fosters lager.

It's okay. I can't get around the commerce overtaking art like that.

http://www.fostersfunny.co.uk/alanpartridge/

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:Steve Coogan's doing a new series of Alan Partridge. For Fosters lager.

Is this a web-only thing, or is it on tv?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Steve Coogan's doing a new series of Alan Partridge. For Fosters lager.

Fifteen minute webisodes only. I had no idea about it until a friend tipped me off.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fifteen minute webisodes only. I had no idea about it until a friend tipped me off.
I'll give it a whirl tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Even DC's last comedy album was pretty meh. And his book seemed like a collection of previously shelved or underdeveloped ideas. He might be in the final arc of his time as a relevant comedian. I dunno. He just hasn't done much for me since, well, perhaps since AD. And there he wasn't expected to carry the show—he was one of an ensemble that didn't have a single weak link. Plus superb writing didn't hurt. He's still built up enough cred with me that I'll immediately check out whatever he's involved in, but the withdrawals from the bank have been adding up of late.
Yeah. I don't really mind when he appears in terrible movies just for the paycheck (e.g. Scary Movie 2, Alvin and the Chipmunks) as long as he still makes time for something that's actually good, but as you said, he hasn't done much of note in a while. At least we have the AD movie to look forward to.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Last one: 4/5

Highlight: obviously Lethal Weapon 5!