The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Simpsons

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:39am
I had a long flight last week and decided to try a season 30 episode. It was weird and bad. Lisa was obsessed with To Kill a Mockingbird and there were clips from the actual movie in the episode. It was very unsettling seeing real people and made no god damn sense. The plot itself was terrible and unfunny. Something about Lisa looking up to Homer for getting upset about slutty options for girls clothes in a store. Bart gets jealous and acts out. I don't remember how it ended.

I wish this show ended 20 years ago.
We all do, some of us even sooner.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 12:50pm
matedog wrote:
I had a long flight last week and decided to try a season 30 episode. It was weird and bad. Lisa was obsessed with To Kill a Mockingbird and there were clips from the actual movie in the episode. It was very unsettling seeing real people and made no god damn sense. The plot itself was terrible and unfunny. Something about Lisa looking up to Homer for getting upset about slutty options for girls clothes in a store. Bart gets jealous and acts out. I don't remember how it ended.

Vaguely tangentially related, since we got Adult Swim up here, beyond watching Bob's Burgers, I've been dipping into episodes of Family Guy I've never seen before. And I've been pleasantly surprised. I recently came across someone describing the show as the proper inheritor of Monty Python, with bizarre cutaways and just plain absurdism, and I can see it more now. There are still lots of lazy jokes, but there's a certain joyful nihilism that works more often than not. Very surprised because I'd soured on it shortly after it came back.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 1:50pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

Vaguely tangentially related, since we got Adult Swim up here, beyond watching Bob's Burgers, I've been dipping into episodes of Family Guy I've never seen before. And I've been pleasantly surprised. I recently came across someone describing the show as the proper inheritor of Monty Python, with bizarre cutaways and just plain absurdism, and I can see it more now. There are still lots of lazy jokes, but there's a certain joyful nihilism that works more often than not. Very surprised because I'd soured on it shortly after it came back.
I’ve heard good things about Bob’s burgers. Anyone into Rick and Morty? Coworker spoke very highly of it but I haven’t tried it out yet.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

I’ve heard good things about Bob’s burgers. Anyone into Rick and Morty? Coworker spoke very highly of it but I haven’t tried it out yet.
I'm a big fan of R&M but please don't lump me in with the fans that get media attention. Either way, the acting and writing are superb, and there's the added benefit of obvious improvisation which is unique for a cartoon.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm a fan of this show, and it's a bit like being a fan of a sports team. There's good seasons and definitely bad seasons, but you kind of just ride it out because you might be pleasantly surprised next year. American Dad still beats it for MacFarlane shows though.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I havent watched Family Guy nor American Dad in a good few years at this point. I kind of tired of it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 3:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm a fan of this show, and it's a bit like being a fan of a sports team. There's good seasons and definitely bad seasons, but you kind of just ride it out because you might be pleasantly surprised next year. American Dad still beats it for MacFarlane shows though.
American Dad has never clicked with me. I try it every once in awhile, but it hasn't happened.

I like Rick & Morty but not to a great degree. Sometimes it seems like the writers get hung up impressing themselves with being clever to the detriment of the story. But I definitely watch it regularly.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 3:39pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

American Dad has never clicked with me. I try it every once in awhile, but it hasn't happened.
I'm not sure why, but this surprises me a bit. The writing up til season 8 is pretty consistent, I think.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 3:39pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm not sure why, but this surprises me a bit. The writing up til season 8 is pretty consistent, I think.
It seems like Family Guy but isn't, and I think I've never been able to get over that hump mentally. It's not distinct enough so it feels thin.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Fun fact: The Boss is a fan of neither the Simpsons nor MWC, but uses this line whenever appropriate.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 7:53pm
Fun fact: The Boss is a fan of neither the Simpsons nor MWC, but uses this line whenever appropriate.
Al was a moron. I would have been giving Peggy what she wanted every night.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 12:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Indeed.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 2:23pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Indeed.
When I was a teenager I didn't think Peg was hot, I've changed my mind. In my defense I'm the same age as Kelly!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 6:24pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Indeed.
When I was a teenager I didn't think Peg was hot, I've changed my mind. In my defense I'm the same age as Kelly!
When I was an older teen I thought she was pretty hot for an older woman. Applegate was obviously more of an attraction at that age but 17/18 yo me would not have turned Peg away.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Indeed.
She was way out of his league.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy