The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Simpsons

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 7:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 5:53pm
Can't decide if I want this as a shirt or a mug: https://zoebread.com/en-us/products/dear-rat-boy-1
Mug, assuming it's a big mug. I hate small mugs.
I have so many damn mugs already but I can't pass up this design.
You need your own youtube show—Kory's Koffee Klatch featuring Herman Menderchuk.
Move over Tom Cruise time for the new fucking blood.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cracked.com/article_41005_k ... psons.html
“Doesn’t it strike you as strange you feel so strongly about Principal Skinner?” Keeler asked critical fans on the commentary track. The writer implored upset fans to appreciate the metatextual importance of “The Principal and the Pauper,” saying that the episode “is about a community of people who like things just the way they are.” Keeler explained, “Skinner’s not really close to these people, he’s a minor character, but they get upset when someone comes in and says, ‘This is not really the way things are,’ and they run the messenger out of town on the rail. When the episode aired, lo and behold, a community of people who like things just the way they are got mad. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it.”
I'd never appreciated the story as a jab at hyper-possessive fandom, but I quite like that. I'd regarded it as a riff off what was happening in comics at that time, with all kinds of dumb retcons to generate sales (e.g., the Spider-clone).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 9:39am
“Doesn’t it strike you as strange you feel so strongly about Principal Skinner?” Keeler asked critical fans on the commentary track. The writer implored upset fans to appreciate the metatextual importance of “The Principal and the Pauper,” saying that the episode “is about a community of people who like things just the way they are.” Keeler explained, “Skinner’s not really close to these people, he’s a minor character, but they get upset when someone comes in and says, ‘This is not really the way things are,’ and they run the messenger out of town on the rail. When the episode aired, lo and behold, a community of people who like things just the way they are got mad. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it.”
I'd never appreciated the story as a jab at hyper-possessive fandom, but I quite like that. I'd regarded it as a riff off what was happening in comics at that time, with all kinds of dumb retcons to generate sales (e.g., the Spider-clone).
I think creators of entertainment should take every possible opportunity to remind their fans that they are owed nothing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 2:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 9:39am
I think creators of entertainment should take every possible opportunity to remind their fans that they are owed nothing.
And that the vast majority of the time the creator takes creative cues from the fan, the result disappoints all involved. When a fan says, "Wouldn't it be cool if …," the creator should be quick to say, "No, it wouldn't."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

This joke requires no explanation to anyone born after 1984 or so!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I very nearly used the "it means he get results... line in a meeting yesterday.

Probably best I didn't

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 5:15pm
I very nearly used the "it means he get results... line in a meeting yesterday.

Probably best I didn't
I'd be kicking myself forever even if I knew it was wise not to do it. It's like being asked to runaway to a desert isle by your celebrity crush. No, you can't do it, but, damn, it'll still haunt you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Never heard of this bit of Simpsons lore: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/r ... house.html

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 10:06am
Never heard of this bit of Simpsons lore: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/r ... house.html
Those ungrateful swine.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 6:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 10:06am
Those ungrateful swine.
Well, Nevada. :meh: