The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Simpsons

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 3:19pm
There's a combo meme to be made here with the Channel 6 Consumer Watchdog Unit.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 3:19pm
There's a combo meme to be made here with the Channel 6 Consumer Watchdog Unit.
An old friend of mine would say this to his wife when she started talking over a tv show.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Has this been posted here yet? A thread from Josh Weinstein answering fans' questions about some of the more obscure, impenetrable and subtle jokes from his time on the show:

http://www.avclub.com/thread-decoding-s ... 1845934267
Thread decoding Simpsons jokes is blowing even the writers’ minds
By Erik Adams
12/22/20 2:17PM

The Simpsons’ thick stew of historical references, literary allusion, pop culture trivia, neologism, and comedic invention has long invited viewers to break one of the golden rules of comedy: That there’s nothing to be gained from dissecting a joke. From early message boards to DVD commentaries to the personal Twitter feeds of its writers and producers, the more the show’s dead frogs get poked, the more fascinating layers they reveal.

Josh Weinstein, who joined the Simpsons staff in 1992 and ran seasons seven and eight with his writing partner Bill Oakley, has been one of the most reliable sources for these behind-the-scenes tidbits of late, commemorating the anniversaries of “Marge Be Not Proud” and “A Milhouse Divided” by sharing tales from from his (terrifying) time with guest star Lawrence Tierney and deleted scenes from the Albee-esque deterioration of Kirk Van Houten’s dignity. Yesterday, Weinstein opened himself and his former colleagues up to burning questions about “jokes/lines people misunderstood or misheard,” and while the Twitter prompt yielded its fair share of inquiries about magic xylophones, CD-ROM dungeons, and wizard’s keys, it also definitively put to rest debates that have raged among fans for decades. No, Hank Scorpio is not the first person Homer ever saw saying goodbye to a shoe. “So I says to Mabel, I says” isn’t from anything else—and there’s no dialogue that comes before or after it. Has the “Sneed’s Feed And Seed—Formerly Chuck’s” sign gag from “E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)” always sailed over your head? Just take a moment and think about why nobody ever plays “The Name Game” with someone named Chuck. There’s a rich, mild, surprisingly addictive core to every ToMacco of a thread like this one—even for the people who were there when the jokes were harvested.

Contacted by The A.V. Club via Twitter DM, Weinstein said he’s amazed by the way certain Simpsons jokes and lines stick with viewers. “And what is even more amazing is realizing some of those jokes and lines have been living in our heads totally differently,” he said. “There’s even a joke I’ve loved for 25 years that only last night I realized I might not have been appreciating correctly. And I love that—it’s like discovering hidden jokes, something the show is famous for.”

The joke in question: “You’ll have to speak up, I’m wearing a towel,” an immaculate non sequitur uttered by the second Simpson pulled from the shower by a phone call in season five’s “Bart Gets Famous.” Or is it? Even Weinstein himself was surprised at fans’ alternate interpretations of the line: That it’s not simply a ludicrous thing to say, or an amusing escalation of the predicament that prevented Marge from hearing that Bart has gone missing during Springfield Elementary’s field trip to the box factory. It could, in fact, be Homer parroting the words of someone rushing out of the bathroom wearing a towel on their head and over their ears, thus muffling the sounds coming from the receiver. “Until this very moment, I had never even thought that and I loved this line as you did, just because it was absurd,” Weinstein tweeted to user @RexMottram1. “This is now the one case so far that I actually don’t know! & this is one of my fav lines!”

In the generous spirit of the enterprise, Weinstein not only kept the thread going for a good half of the day, but also repeated his towel-based amazement at several subsequent citations of the line. As of the wee hours of Tuesday, December 22, he was expressing his combined elation and exhaustion in a language everyone understands—a Simpsons GIF—but he was back at it a few hours later, shining additional light on Cletus’ screen door, Homer’s familiarity with the Supreme Court justices, and whether things need to “safen up” in sector 7-G or if they’re already “safe enough.” (It’s the latter.)

“For years, we couldn’t really interact with fans, but now with Twitter, it’s like we can have a mini-Comic-Con every day,” Weinstein told The A.V. Club. “And The Simpsons is the most Comic-Con-y show ever.”

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Green crabs, an invasive species wreaking ecological and economic havoc along the New England coast, are being used by a New Hampshire distillery to create House of Tamworth Crab Trapper, a green crab-flavored whiskey
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 11:45am
Green crabs, an invasive species wreaking ecological and economic havoc along the New England coast, are being used by a New Hampshire distillery to create House of Tamworth Crab Trapper, a green crab-flavored whiskey
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html
Goes great with tomacco soup!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 3:08pm
The rhythm of that line, man.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 1:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 3:08pm
The rhythm of that line, man.
It really is a superb opening line to a story. There's such specificity, but the details, you know immediately, are irrelevant.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just finished my spin bike and a shower (no bath because someone's coming around to do an estimate on our driveway), but it was one of those showers where, despite steadily lowering the temperature, I couldn't seem to cool down, so I came out of the shower still sweating. This is why I have no date for homecoming. :disshame:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

"The all ighty dollar? AHAHAHA I get it" popped into my head recently. Thanks youtube.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:20am
"The all ighty dollar? AHAHAHA I get it" popped into my head recently. Thanks youtube.
all time gag, love it
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:20am

Ahh, that brings back some memories, long before National Lampoon magazine, some good times were had reading those mags.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Started listening to this. Good first episode. Embarrassingly in tune with my interests which, Ghost World like, I see as a negative.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/