The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Simpsons

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 5:26pm
JennyB wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 5:20pm
BitterTom wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 4:57pm
Got Disney + the other day and starting from scratch with this (again). Itching to be on season 4 already though, the first few aren't bad I suppose but, especially with season 1, the characters are not (understandably) confident in their roles and the animation is obviously of its time. Some decent episodes in there though, Simpson and Delilah one in particular.
That's what my son is doing. He's just about to start season 10. That's where it starts to go downhill, right? He probably won't notice since he's 10, but still.
He's past golden era, but season 10 is still fairly watchable. After that, you'll be able to pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.
Season 9 is the transition season. It's very noticeable how it's 50% classic, 50% this new not-good thing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 9:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 5:26pm
JennyB wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 5:20pm
BitterTom wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 4:57pm
Got Disney + the other day and starting from scratch with this (again). Itching to be on season 4 already though, the first few aren't bad I suppose but, especially with season 1, the characters are not (understandably) confident in their roles and the animation is obviously of its time. Some decent episodes in there though, Simpson and Delilah one in particular.
That's what my son is doing. He's just about to start season 10. That's where it starts to go downhill, right? He probably won't notice since he's 10, but still.
He's past golden era, but season 10 is still fairly watchable. After that, you'll be able to pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.
Season 9 is the transition season. It's very noticeable how it's 50% classic, 50% this new not-good thing.
Yeah. Season 9 begins with the excellent City of New York vs. Homer Simpson and is immediately followed by The Principal and the Pauper, which was the first Simpsons episode I watched that I actively disliked.

EDIT: While the first few seasons were patchy, I saw them as they aired, so a show that I always liked just kept getting better until the absolute golden age of seasons 3-8.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I only like New York Vs Homer, Bart Carny & Lisa's Sax from season 9.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Looking at the list for Season 9, I don't see anything I truly dislike. A few took a couple viewings till I was good with them, but nothing really 21st-century bad.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I kinda like principal and the pauper, but it feels in retrospect like an ominous sign of what was to come.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 5:00pm
I kinda like principal and the pauper, but it feels in retrospect like an ominous sign of what was to come.
I didn't mind it because it was reminiscent of the second Spider-man clone saga. So there was unintentional humour from that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 5:04pm
Flex wrote:
I didn't mind it because it was reminiscent of the second Spider-man clone saga. So there was unintentional humour from that.
The arc that made me stop reading spandex comics for 10 years. Well, that and Onslaught.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 5:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
The arc that made me stop reading spandex comics for 10 years. Well, that and Onslaught.
I'll bet in one of my boxes of comics in the basement I still have some "Onslaught is coming!" stickers that my comic shop shoved in every bag.

The weird thing is that that clone saga clusterfuck is what brought me back to comics. I hadn't read them in a good decade but I read a newspaper story about outraged Spider-man fans and was curious about how the Jackal and the clone were brought back. It was fucked up enough that I wanted to see how it was resolved, and that got me back to reading. So, objectively I know it's a good idea poorly executed—the creators behind it released a mini-series version decades later that reflected how they wanted to tell it before editorial and marketers hijacked the idea and dragged it out; it's a solid story once it's not tied to a stupid "everything you know is a lie and nothing will ever be the same!" mandate—but I still have fond memories of it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 6:13pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I'll bet in one of my boxes of comics in the basement I still have some "Onslaught is coming!" stickers that my comic shop shoved in every bag.

The weird thing is that that clone saga clusterfuck is what brought me back to comics. I hadn't read them in a good decade but I read a newspaper story about outraged Spider-man fans and was curious about how the Jackal and the clone were brought back. It was fucked up enough that I wanted to see how it was resolved, and that got me back to reading. So, objectively I know it's a good idea poorly executed—the creators behind it released a mini-series version decades later that reflected how they wanted to tell it before editorial and marketers hijacked the idea and dragged it out; it's a solid story once it's not tied to a stupid "everything you know is a lie and nothing will ever be the same!" mandate—but I still have fond memories of it.
How funny, I can see it working both ways. I was mostly brought up on 80s comics, so when that rolled around I wasn't for it, especially when they brought back his parents. Instead, I shuffled off to Cerebus and learned to hate women.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 6:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

How funny, I can see it working both ways. I was mostly brought up on 80s comics, so when that rolled around I wasn't for it, especially when they brought back his parents. Instead, I shuffled off to Cerebus and learned to hate women.
Good timing that I quit earlier and maintained my utter fear of women.

(No matter how many excellent comics I've since read, 70s Marvel will always be the perfect era because that's when I discovered comics. I love every goofy, stupid, flaky bit of 70s Marvel.)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 7:58pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

(No matter how many excellent comics I've since read, 70s Marvel will always be the perfect era because that's when I discovered comics. I love every goofy, stupid, flaky bit of 70s Marvel.)
The 70s brought us the Thanos-copter and can not be denied.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 8:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

We all benefited from all the drugs consumed by comics people in the 70s. As ridiculous as the premise is, I'm still totally sold on the idea of Dr. Octopus trying to marry Aunt May because she had inherited a Canadian island with a secret nuclear research lab on it. And in the ensuing brawl, it turned Hammerhead into a nuclear ghost. That shit is what sold eight-year-old me on comics.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 8:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

We all benefited from all the drugs consumed by comics people in the 70s. As ridiculous as the premise is, I'm still totally sold on the idea of Dr. Octopus trying to marry Aunt May because she had inherited a Canadian island with a secret nuclear research lab on it. And in the ensuing brawl, it turned Hammerhead into a nuclear ghost. That shit is what sold eight-year-old me on comics.
I turned up in the 90s, wanting this stuff and I got greasy men with stubble looking sad in the rain.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 May 2020, 1:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I turned up in the 90s, wanting this stuff and I got greasy men with stubble looking sad in the rain.
With tiny heads, giant guns, multiple pouches, and no feet.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
01 May 2020, 3:29am
Silent Majority wrote:
01 May 2020, 1:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

With tiny heads, giant guns, multiple pouches, and no feet.
It's like, dude, I'm nine. Stop writing for grown men who should have moved on to Raymond Chandler and James Ellroy, but haven't so their tastes and needs are messing with what they're stuck on. It's fine for adults to read this stuff, I've been meaning to catch up with 60s Marvel and real old DC for years, but the pleasure is where the storytelling is pitched at. I'm talking mainstream superhero comics here, not comics in general.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/