The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Simpsons

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 10:17am
matedog wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 9:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 9:54am
matedog wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 9:44am

Seriously. I thought of it because I saw the name Gerald McRaney today.
People getting Major Dad references are like people speaking a dying language. There weren't many to begin with and they are only dwindling.
I remember trying to use the Cure as an example to explain a concept to my rock class, and as I was talking I could see half the class was humouring comprehension and the other half saw no reason to fake it. The only thing that saved the moment was that I stopped and told them I could tell they thought I was 90 years old.
:lol:

I'm finding it fascinating what pop culture has endured and what hasn't. "California Love" is still one the kids know, but "Tha Crossroads" isn't apparently.
Any historian worth their degree will tell you forecasting historical significance is a mug's game. Books and movies that seem massive at the time can fade away, whereas stuff that was mostly ignored at the time is later discovered and granted great significance. The novels of Jim Thompson, for example. He was cult noir author in his time, but now understood to be a literary giant. We flat out can never tell who or what future generations will find resonates.
Because at least in my lifetime so much music and movies at least achieved their initial status thru marketing and hype and probably cocaine.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 10:17am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

People getting Major Dad references are like people speaking a dying language. There weren't many to begin with and they are only dwindling.
I remember trying to use the Cure as an example to explain a concept to my rock class, and as I was talking I could see half the class was humouring comprehension and the other half saw no reason to fake it. The only thing that saved the moment was that I stopped and told them I could tell they thought I was 90 years old.

I'm finding it fascinating what pop culture has endured and what hasn't. "California Love" is still one the kids know, but "Tha Crossroads" isn't apparently.
Any historian worth their degree will tell you forecasting historical significance is a mug's game. Books and movies that seem massive at the time can fade away, whereas stuff that was mostly ignored at the time is later discovered and granted great significance. The novels of Jim Thompson, for example. He was cult noir author in his time, but now understood to be a literary giant. We flat out can never tell who or what future generations will find resonates.
I guess there are the stories of Michelangelo, Poe, Wilde, etc. dying in poverty and obscurity. It's just weird seeing similar things in real time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 8:57am

Jesus that joke is funny but dated.

Both classics. As is Major Dad.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 1:58pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Both classics. As is Major Dad.
I always wondered who watched that show and now I know its all Kory's fault.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sitcom reboot idea! Kory in the City. What happens when a Microsoft promotional rep / Starbucks barista / grunge cover band bass player has to move to Tucson? Will he still be able to get avocado biscotti? Does it even rain here?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 2:52pm
Sitcom reboot idea! Kory in the City. What happens when a Microsoft promotional rep / Starbucks barista / grunge cover band bass player has to move to Tucson? Will he still be able to get avocado biscotti? Does it even rain here?
And you won't believe what happens next when his cousin Heston pops over from England for a visit in this very special That's our Heston/Kory in the City cross over event.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 3:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And you won't believe what happens next when his cousin Heston pops over from England for a visit in this very special That's our Heston/Kory in the City cross over event.
Wait til you see what's in store for Sweeps.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 3:19pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
S1E06. Kory is distraught when his Zune breaks down and can't find parts until he's told about a legendary cache on a Navajo reservation. Eddie Vedder guest stars as the Navajo chief.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 3:28pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
S1E06. Kory is distraught when his Zune breaks down and can't find parts until he's told about a legendary cache on a Navajo reservation. Eddie Vedder guest stars as the Navajo chief.
Not gonna lie, I'd likely have watched this as a kid.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 3:28pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not gonna lie, I'd likely have watched this as a kid.
Well, you are our target demo. Meanwhile, we're reaching out to David Hasselhoff's people to pitch to him the idea of playing Bill Gates in a recurring role.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 8:40pm
It'll feel like an eternity.