Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 6:12pm
"BACK OFF PIGS OR THE TOWER GETS CRUSHED." SQUEEEEEEEEE
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 10:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 6:12pm
"BACK OFF PIGS OR THE TOWER GETS CRUSHED." SQUEEEEEEEEE
I was surprised to see the Eradicator, who was in one of the first couple episodes and never again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched the first three episodes of the new Kids in the Hall season. It is, somewhat surprisingly, really, really good (surprising because of long time away from doing a sketch comedy show). There's some meta humour in the first episode as they deal with being Kids and old fuckers (revived and lying in a grave, Dave asks the others, "Am I still the cute one?" "Sort of?"). Episode 3 has a hilarious recurring bit with Dave playing a dj in a post-apocalyptic bunker, still do all the dj schtick, but the only record he has is Melanie's "Brand New Key," and you can see him dying more and more inside as it plays. There's also full-frontal nudity that is funny and ghastly (maybe the former because of the latter). But, yeah, they've still got the spark.

edit: And I finished blitzing thru the season. It's really good stuff, tho the Kevin/Dave material is notably more effective. There's another funny meta sketch where Dave plays a guy trying to sell to Kevin's character a bunch of unused Kevin McDonald sketches, then learns that he's actually Dave Foley trapped in a Kevin McDonald sketch that has no ending.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2022, 7:23am
Watched the first three episodes of the new Kids in the Hall season. It is, somewhat surprisingly, really, really good (surprising because of long time away from doing a sketch comedy show). There's some meta humour in the first episode as they deal with being Kids and old fuckers (revived and lying in a grave, Dave asks the others, "Am I still the cute one?" "Sort of?"). Episode 3 has a hilarious recurring bit with Dave playing a dj in a post-apocalyptic bunker, still do all the dj schtick, but the only record he has is Melanie's "Brand New Key," and you can see him dying more and more inside as it plays. There's also full-frontal nudity that is funny and ghastly (maybe the former because of the latter). But, yeah, they've still got the spark.

edit: And I finished blitzing thru the season. It's really good stuff, tho the Kevin/Dave material is notably more effective. There's another funny meta sketch where Dave plays a guy trying to sell to Kevin's character a bunch of unused Kevin McDonald sketches, then learns that he's actually Dave Foley trapped in a Kevin McDonald sketch that has no ending.
I'm really looking forward to this. Not only because it's KITH, but also because Julie Klausner, who co-create and wrote one of my favorite shows of all time, Difficult People, wrote for the new KITH.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 May 2022, 12:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm really looking forward to this. Not only because it's KITH, but also because Julie Klausner, who co-create and wrote one of my favorite shows of all time, Difficult People, wrote for the new KITH.
I really do think that anyone who loved them the first time will be quite happy with what they did this time around. There's a common theme of looking back upon their legacy and aging as burden as much as joy, which, I hope, resonates with fans who were young the first time around. There's a fun line where Bruce revives his Gavin character, and another person says, "Aren't you a little old to be playing a kid?" It's that hyperawareness of what they're doing and the risk of just doing the same old, same old that makes it work so well (that and they're all just fucking funny people).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Watched the first three episodes of the new Kids in the Hall season. It is, somewhat surprisingly, really, really good (surprising because of long time away from doing a sketch comedy show). There's some meta humour in the first episode as they deal with being Kids and old fuckers (revived and lying in a grave, Dave asks the others, "Am I still the cute one?" "Sort of?"). Episode 3 has a hilarious recurring bit with Dave playing a dj in a post-apocalyptic bunker, still do all the dj schtick, but the only record he has is Melanie's "Brand New Key," and you can see him dying more and more inside as it plays. There's also full-frontal nudity that is funny and ghastly (maybe the former because of the latter). But, yeah, they've still got the spark. ...
The DJ bit was great. Also Dave as the OBGYN with the lowest drop rate was pretty fucking funny too. And yeah the nudity, who doesn't want to see a naked 60yo man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 May 2022, 10:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Watched the first three episodes of the new Kids in the Hall season. It is, somewhat surprisingly, really, really good (surprising because of long time away from doing a sketch comedy show). There's some meta humour in the first episode as they deal with being Kids and old fuckers (revived and lying in a grave, Dave asks the others, "Am I still the cute one?" "Sort of?"). Episode 3 has a hilarious recurring bit with Dave playing a dj in a post-apocalyptic bunker, still do all the dj schtick, but the only record he has is Melanie's "Brand New Key," and you can see him dying more and more inside as it plays. There's also full-frontal nudity that is funny and ghastly (maybe the former because of the latter). But, yeah, they've still got the spark. ...
The DJ bit was great. Also Dave as the OBGYN with the lowest drop rate was pretty fucking funny too. And yeah the nudity, who doesn't want to see a naked 60yo man.
It's a standard release—I get to keep anything I find in there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

KM: It’s like I always say: If we used to be punk rock in the 1990s, we’re more like prog rock now.

DF: Oh, I wouldn’t watch that that. [Laughs]

BM: Can you please not print that? I’d like people to actually watch the show.

MM: [in exaggerated carnival barker voice] PROG rock? Prog ROCK!

BM: Never fucking say fucking prog rock again, Kevin.

KM: No, no, hear me out, because we take our time, there’s a chord change that doesn’t make sense but makes sense eventually…

ST: [to Mark] What is he saying right now? Is he still talking?

KM: [in whiny, high-pitched Kevin McDonald voice] Listen, I meant that in a good way! Genesis, Peter Gabriel…

MM: We’re Canadian, so you’re contractually obligated to say Rush…

KM: Yes, and Rush, yes. The good prog rock.

MM: [in Lorne Michaels voice] Um, Kevin, your sketches…they are so King Crimson!
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-feat ... w-1351236/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Lmao
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sorry to drag out my reaction to the new season of KitH, but I've been considering my unexpected joy at it all. It's not just that the material and performance was so good, and that I wasn't expecting it. There's something else going on. And I read today someone compare it to the Beatles getting back together, which is hyperbolic, but not entirely batty. For those of us who were Canadian and in our early 20s when the Kids were on, yeah, them coming back and doing it so well does have a kind of "the gods have returned to us" aspect. There's something distinctly romantic there. A validation of some sort, however vicarious and indulgent it is. But it is more than just the sketches—tho that's vital (if it were embarrassing I wouldn't be writing this). It's the event itself that matters, that these guys who mattered a lot to those who got it the first time around can still ring the bell. If we took them for granted the first time around, now the significance is confirmed and contextualized. It's as close to national pride as I'll ever get.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, another Kids post. DL'd and watched the documentary this morning. Funny and moving. Five guys who love each other and love making each other laugh. One thing that is striking, both in this and in the round of interviews, is that Bruce, the true punk guy of the group, has really mellowed and become a softie. The angry young man who's learned to let a lot of that stuff go.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 6:48pm
contextualized. It's as close to national pride as I'll ever get.
As Rush fans weep

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 May 2022, 10:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 6:48pm
contextualized. It's as close to national pride as I'll ever get.
As Rush fans weep
They have no time to weep; they're way too busy notating Peart's drum routines for every song.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Yep. Had no expectation of the new KITH to be so fucking quality or to be as moved as I was by the documentary. I think they've sealed their legacy with this year's releases.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 May 2022, 8:09am
Yep. Had no expectation of the new KITH to be so fucking quality or to be as moved as I was by the documentary. I think they've sealed their legacy with this year's releases.
Glad to hear your reaction given your age and nationality. I have no way of eliminating how much of my reaction is influenced by generation, nostalgia, or national sensibilities (for lack of a better term).