King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Post by CorwoodRep »

Was this not the zennest show on television? It's so chilled out. Every time I'm sick or have insomnia, I just marathon this thing.

It also deserves a lot more credit than it gets for depicting an honest middle America. Great characters, and outstanding voice acting by Stephen Root and Pam Adlon and whoever it was that did Dale. Its characterizations are so sharp that it almost doesn't matter if the jokes land or not.

Best Episode: Almost anything from season 2 to season 7, but I'm partial to the two-part murder mystery and the one where they go to New Orleans and meet Dandy Don Meredith.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

101Walterton
The Best

Re: King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Post by 101Walterton »

I've always liked it and I am sure I only get a fraction of the jokes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of the goddamned smartest sitcoms of all time and portrayal of the fate of the last modern man in a postmodern society. And to their extreme credit, the writers don't make Hank the butt of the joke all the time; sometimes he's the only sane one. That fluidity was under-appreciated—you could never be sure which character would be the voice of reason. The humour could be subtle or plain slapstick (like when Dale bought the falcon, which was consistently went after Bill). It never hit the peaks of the Simpsons, but after the first season, where they were still figuring themselves out, it never really dropped from a high level of quality.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Just got my wife into this show. She loves it. A secret test has been passed.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Everytime someone writes, "God dammit, Hoy" it plays in my head as if Hank Hill was speaking.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

It's one of those shows that I never have the urge to watch, but whenever I do, I really enjoy it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When they stole Dale's mower and were photoshopping shit in.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss and I are watching the episode where they go to Louisiana and stay with Bill's Williamesque family. My god, it is one of the funniest things ever broadcast.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 5:47pm
The Boss and I are watching the episode where they go to Louisiana and stay with Bill's Williamesque family. My god, it is one of the funniest things ever broadcast.
That kind of a character is endlessly hilarious to me. The bruised honour, pompousity and feyness.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

CorwoodRep wrote:
26 Apr 2012, 12:47am
outstanding voice acting by Stephen Root and Pam Adlon
My mind has been blown. Pamela from "Louie" is Bobby Hill!
I would also add Toby Huss to the "outstanding" voice credits list (Cotton and Kahn)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 11:37am
I would also add Toby Huss to the "outstanding" voice credits list (Cotton and Kahn)
My dad dressed like Cotton—like so many their age and generation—and was a shrimp (my dad kept his own shins, tho). They differed a lot in personality, but I still like to think of Cotton as my dad's id unleashed. His habit of calling Peggy "Hank's wife" is such a perfect, simple, and ugly dismissal of her entire existence.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Good god, Hank, you look like the fella that killed the other fella!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
That was a great episode, but I have no desire to ever watch King of the Hill reruns. I think I quit it before it ended, even.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That was a great episode, but I have no desire to ever watch King of the Hill reruns. I think I quit it before it ended, even.
Strongly disagree on both counts. Indeed, I've been watching old episodes the past week and it's been pure gold. It's hard to compare to the Simpsons because the comedy is different, but KotH is pretty close imo in terms of quality, plus it didn't have the horrible decline and overstay. The last couple seasons weren't great but neither were the painful senility of the Simpsons' old age.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Better the very last season of KOtH than even season 10 of the Simpson.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/