King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 12:18am
A small view into the comment threads of FB genre groups.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 1:45pm
Flex wrote:
As in, what if your drunk racist uncle was also a music snob?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:12pm
Kory wrote:

It tends to be more endless complaints under the posts of people offering music they like, complaining "THIS isn't [insert genre here]! This group is only for [insert genre here]!" As if they are both the arbiter of what falls under the genre tag and also somehow able to shift the course of the group based on their own preferences. More importantly to me though, I much prefer a group that has members that feel comfortable saying something like "I know this isn't an example of the genre this group is for, but I think people that like our genre would also like this." How the hell else do you learn about new music? Certainly not by fencing yourself in.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
I'll have you know I am neither racist nor currently drunk.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

It tends to be more endless complaints under the posts of people offering music they like, complaining "THIS isn't [insert genre here]! This group is only for [insert genre here]!" As if they are both the arbiter of what falls under the genre tag and also somehow able to shift the course of the group based on their own preferences. More importantly to me though, I much prefer a group that has members that feel comfortable saying something like "I know this isn't an example of the genre this group is for, but I think people that like our genre would also like this." How the hell else do you learn about new music? Certainly not by fencing yourself in.
That's kind of my argument (which most students haven't been tolerant of) that the internet and streaming may be a godsend for individual choice, where we can pursue the sub-sub-sub-subgenres of our dreams, so that we hear only what we want, but it's been a disaster for music as a social and political force because we can—indeed, are encouraged—to ensilo ourselves. Going beyond our comfort zone is something we choose to do, not something we experience based on media environment. Most kids only see immediate and personal pleasures from this structure. I'm not full-on hostile to our fractured, choice-rich environment, but it's not a utopia either.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Not even a little? (Drunk, that is.)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:37pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Still working.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:37pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Still working.
That answer isn't as effective as you think it is.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Those early seasons, before they'd refined Hank's character and character design, are interesting just for the journey they were on to see what worked. TV shows don't get that luxury any more.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 6:12am
Those early seasons, before they'd refined Hank's character and character design, are interesting just for the journey they were on to see what worked. TV shows don't get that luxury any more.
Dale went thru a striking evolution, from stereotypical paranoid reactionary to more of an insecure geeky oddball. That was, on the whole, for the better, I think, as the paranoid reactionary is a pretty limited character to write.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 7:29am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dale went thru a striking evolution, from stereotypical paranoid reactionary to more of an insecure geeky oddball. That was, on the whole, for the better, I think, as the paranoid reactionary is a pretty limited character to write.
Dale lost so many of those traditional masculine signifiers that he started out with on his evolution to oblivious weasel (a character with more comedic potential), it ended up making little sense for Nancy to hold him in the affection and faithfulness that she ended up having.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 7:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dale lost so many of those traditional masculine signifiers that he started out with on his evolution to oblivious weasel (a character with more comedic potential), it ended up making little sense for Nancy to hold him in the affection and faithfulness that she ended up having.
Not necessarily. Nancy is a shallow, minor celebrity who wants to be worshipped and Dale is her biggest fan, utterly devoted to her. And Dale's a dedicated father, albeit clueless. John Redcorn might be what she wants, but she knows he'll never be as devoted to her. People construct all kinds of weird narratives to normalize their lives and decisions.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 8:38am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Not necessarily. Nancy is a shallow, minor celebrity who wants to be worshipped and Dale is her biggest fan, utterly devoted to her. And Dale's a dedicated father, albeit clueless. John Redcorn might be what she wants, but she knows he'll never be as devoted to her. People construct all kinds of weird narratives to normalize their lives and decisions.
I always saw the evolution of Dale as basically giving us a peak under the hood, or seeing what the people closest to him see as opposed to the front that he otherwise tries to put up. No doubt if you were a stranger strolling down the alley while they were out drinking you would get the impression of the early character. So yeah it was great they got to flesh out the characters, not Boomhower so much though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 9:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 8:38am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I always saw the evolution of Dale as basically giving us a peak under the hood, or seeing what the people closest to him see as opposed to the front that he otherwise tries to put up. No doubt if you were a stranger strolling down the alley while they were out drinking you would get the impression of the early character. So yeah it was great they got to flesh out the characters, not Boomhower so much though.
Yeah, Boomhauer was a half-trick pony the whole time. The stories that focused on him tended to be weaker just because there wasn't much to his character—a sort-of lothario who mumbles. Principal Moss was more interesting.