King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
08 May 2023, 9:30pm
Kory wrote:
08 May 2023, 1:45pm
revbob wrote:
07 May 2023, 5:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
07 May 2023, 4:59pm
Guys only want one thing, and it's for their baseball hatted friend to salute them when they join their three friends in the alley for a beer.
No alleys in these parts.
Come to Seattle and make use of our many alleys.
Quoted directly from the tourism council
If you listen to this new crop of Ford-tough motherfuckers that are terrified of all urban centers, yes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 May 2023, 7:10pm
It's been years since I've seen South Park so I can't say whether it still holds true, but Judge, like Parker/Stone, worked the in-between of attacking Hollywood-esque liberal phonies and conservative redneck bozos. I think of it as pining for that mythical Springsteen liberal past, where people were honest and worked hard and the two things resulted in a good society.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Well, Stone and Parker are explicit Libertarians and Stone, at least, said he hated both conservatives and liberals but hates liberals more. They all basically seem to have the politics of a Reason magazine columnist, Judge maybe one of the better ones like Elizabeth Nolan Brown Peter Suderman and Stone and Parker maybe one of the worse ones like Nick Gillespie or Robby Soave. Yeah, those all seem about right to me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Much as I love Mike Judge, Idiocracy makes me uncomfortable with the race-to-the-bottom characterization of people. On a more visceral or therapeutic level, especially over the last decade, yeah, I suppose it'd feel like a release, a venting over the tide of belligerent ignorance. But there's an elitist aspect to it that treats the masses as the downfall of us all. Even if we can see a critique of commercial greed behind it all, it's the masses who are most susceptible and are agents of it all going to fuck.

(That said, I haven't watched Idiocracy more than once. It was something that I just didn't want to go back to. Maybe I'd feel better about it now.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2023, 9:06pm
Much as I love Mike Judge, Idiocracy makes me uncomfortable with the race-to-the-bottom characterization of people. On a more visceral or therapeutic level, especially over the last decade, yeah, I suppose it'd feel like a release, a venting over the tide of belligerent ignorance. But there's an elitist aspect to it that treats the masses as the downfall of us all. Even if we can see a critique of commercial greed behind it all, it's the masses who are most susceptible and are agents of it all going to fuck.

(That said, I haven't watched Idiocracy more than once. It was something that I just didn't want to go back to. Maybe I'd feel better about it now.)
I haven't watched it in a fair bit but my takeaway of the movie is that pretty much each individual component of the movie is quite funny but it all adds up to something fairly noxious in the underlying message (spelled out pretty explicitly in the opening and closing voiceovers). I think with even the tiniest edits the move could be much, much more politically palatable.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2023, 7:28pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It's been years since I've seen South Park so I can't say whether it still holds true, but Judge, like Parker/Stone, worked the in-between of attacking Hollywood-esque liberal phonies and conservative redneck bozos. I think of it as pining for that mythical Springsteen liberal past, where people were honest and worked hard and the two things resulted in a good society.
About once every season, KOTH fumbled the ball with its depiction of clueless hypocritical hippies or limp wristed government patsies, but the show is so human that I just roll my eyes and move on.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 May 2023, 8:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2023, 7:28pm
Silent Majority wrote:
About once every season, KOTH fumbled the ball with its depiction of clueless hypocritical hippies or limp wristed government patsies, but the show is so human that I just roll my eyes and move on.
One of things I appreciated about the show is that most every character got opportunities to be the voice of reason (or at least of the best way forward) as well as to be the dolt. It avoided the Simpsons trap of making the characters increasingly narrow, so that there was limited room to write for them. Hank, for example, was earnest to the point of naivete, making him a sucker for how society's rules operated, but he (mostly) wasn't sucked into scams and fads like those around him. At the start of an episode, you couldn't be sure who would be playing what role, even if the characters had fairly well-established traits by season 2 (Dale was the one who evolved the most over the full run, ending up closer to Bill than the McVeigh-esque nut he started as).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2024, 7:52pm
Love it

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2024, 7:52pm
The Mats would have let him accompany them up on stage for this one. :mrgreen:

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of the pure pleasures of KotH is Brittany Murphy as Luanne, especially when she starts laughing. She's playing a basic dumb blonde, and yet there's such a joy there, where we laugh with as much as at her.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Nothing like seeing a monkey whip a dog down the back stretch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Oh, what was I thinking? I am in over my head. What made me think that I could teach high school? I so wanted to be like Welcome Back, Kotter. Now I'm like the real Gabe Kaplan. I am a loser.