Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 7:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 6:25am
revbob wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 5:42am
So are these freely available or do you need to do jump thru the usual hoops to acquire them?
Hoops. Always hoops.
I figured but I do tire of this at times. Maybe this is a sign for me to stop bothering with watching TV.
A little vpn, a little tv torrent host, usually about ten minutes of waiting time and voila, you've got something to talk about around the water cooler, along with the Big Game and plans for the long weekend.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 8:13am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
So are these freely available or do you need to do jump thru the usual hoops to acquire them?
Hoops. Always hoops.
I figured but I do tire of this at times. Maybe this is a sign for me to stop bothering with watching TV.
A little vpn, a little tv torrent host, usually about ten minutes of waiting time and voila, you've got something to talk about around the water cooler, along with the Big Game and plans for the long weekend.
I like/get along with most coworkers but mostly just on the professional level but that is pretty much where it ends. When the subject of music or TV shows might come up I'm definitely the outsider. Most are at least politically saner. Bottom line not a lot of water cooler talk and I dont get invited to anyone's picnics or bbqs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 8:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hoops. Always hoops.
I like/get along with most coworkers but mostly just on the professional level but that is pretty much where it ends. When the subject of music or TV shows might come up I'm definitely the outsider. Most are at least politically saner. Bottom line not a lot of water cooler talk and I dont get invited to anyone's picnics or bbqs.
Not even your collection of sweet, sweet Phish bootleg cassettes doesn't get you an invite? Tough crowd.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I canceled Netflix but we're actually keeping cbs all access. The lady likes several of their current shows and I'm keen on their Trek and Twilight Zone offerings, so it's not a bad deal at the moment. I probably wouldn't keep it if there weren't 6ish shows (and back catalog) we watch off the services between the two of us.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 11:14am
I canceled Netflix but we're actually keeping cbs all access. The lady likes several of their current shows and I'm keen on their Trek and Twilight Zone offerings, so it's not a bad deal at the moment. I probably wouldn't keep it if there weren't 6ish shows (and back catalog) we watch off the services between the two of us.
I just signed up for the one free week. I'll probably not be bothered to seek out more.

But at least the Comedian ep is on youtube now:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 8:40am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hoops. Always hoops.
Not even your collection of sweet, sweet Phish bootleg cassettes doesn't get you an invite? Tough crowd.
Well I'm sort of into bathing and such.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 3:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 8:40am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Well I'm sort of into bathing and such.
Phish mutant.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yow. The latest episode was mesmerizing (tho a bit heavy-handed at the climax) and sure to outrage conservatives. It also captured the original series' topical politics and morality.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 1:18pm
Yow. The latest episode was mesmerizing (tho a bit heavy-handed at the climax) and sure to outrage conservatives. It also captured the original series' topical politics and morality.
Is that the Rewind episode? I read that is the best of the newest bunch.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 1:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 1:18pm
Is that the Rewind episode? I read that is the best of the newest bunch.
Yep. It's also one that I think benefits from the longer run time, as the tension amps up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Y'know, yeah, the new Twilight Zone episodes have been very much a mixed bag in terms of quality and construction, but the number of people complaining about them being too topical, too political, too SJW has me convinced they would have hated at the time the original TZ episodes that are now regarded as classic social commentary. The same way Muhammad Ali is celebrated and Colin Kaepernick is demonized. If you're fine with political allegory or making a stand until matters are settled and the moment is past, no, you don't get to celebrate those stories and actions. If you're sick of BLM now, you would have hated MLK then.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I've seen 6. The camcorder and the racist cop was good, the other 5 pretty mediocre.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 May 2019, 4:31pm
I've seen 6. The camcorder and the racist cop was good, the other 5 pretty mediocre.
That's definitely been the best one, tho the golf clappish scene near the end broke the mood. I also liked the one with the guy who shows up in the Alaskan jail and yesterday's episode. The "Not All Men" could have been good, but didn't know what to do with the set-up.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2019, 5:04pm
tepista wrote:
That's definitely been the best one, tho the golf clappish scene near the end broke the mood. I also liked the one with the guy who shows up in the Alaskan jail and yesterday's episode. The "Not All Men" could have been good, but didn't know what to do with the set-up.
the Alaska jail was good but it seemed it could been better. the Mission to Mars had a good last 10 minutes or so, but it dragged up till it got the good part. SOme of these are 50 minutes, which is probably 10 minutes too long.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 May 2019, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2019, 5:04pm
tepista wrote:
the Alaska jail was good but it seemed it could been better. the Mission to Mars had a good last 10 minutes or so, but it dragged up till it got the good part. SOme of these are 50 minutes, which is probably 10 minutes too long.
The length has been a real problem. The necessary tension just isn't sustained. The camcorder episode was the only one where the longer run time worked.