The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've mention this problem with my shoulder, which might be arthritis or possibly bursitis. Some have suggested getting a cortisone shot, which I'm reluctant to do because my tolerance for pain is remarkably high if the alternative is going to see a doctor. But my sister was just visiting and suggested something that has helped her. It's called an Osmo patch, which is like a tea bag that you place over the affected joint and then place an adhesive bandage over that. Do it before bed and in the morning, if the problem is bursitis, the "tea bag" will be hard in the morning, drawing up, I guess, what is causing the inflammation. I was skeptical, but she gave me one to try. Not sure how well it worked—the pain was still there—but the tea bag was hard in the morning (and very smoky smelling). But I ordered a package to try over multiple nights to see if that's what it'll take. If it doesn't help, well, I'll wait for another couple months before making a doctor's appointment.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 May 2019, 2:25pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 11:55am
Wolter, got any lower back pain remedies? It is agony to say the least, barely moved in the last 6 hours.
Put all your Phil Collins CD's on the floor and then bend over and pick them up one by one. It probably won't actually cure your back troubles but it might make you hate Phil a little more.

Seriously I used to use Radium B creme to get some relief. Hope it eases up soon for you mate.
...But Seriously.

Cheers though mate, got some similar feel with ibuprofen in, helped a little but still bloody painful, start new job Tuesday, just hope it's ok for then!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Have you tried the lacrosse ball smash exercises? My PT has had me doing them. You certainly know when you have hit the correct spot. Loads of YouTube videos, if you Google it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 2:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Wolter, got any lower back pain remedies? It is agony to say the least, barely moved in the last 6 hours.
Put all your Phil Collins CD's on the floor and then bend over and pick them up one by one. It probably won't actually cure your back troubles but it might make you hate Phil a little more.

Seriously I used to use Radium B creme to get some relief. Hope it eases up soon for you mate.
...But Seriously.

Cheers though mate, got some similar feel with ibuprofen in, helped a little but still bloody painful, start new job Tuesday, just hope it's ok for then!
I've tried the stuff with ibuprofen but found the Radium B stuff penetrates deeper like the deep heat.

Still no jacket required.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2019, 2:46pm
I've mention this problem with my shoulder, which might be arthritis or possibly bursitis. Some have suggested getting a cortisone shot, which I'm reluctant to do because my tolerance for pain is remarkably high if the alternative is going to see a doctor. But my sister was just visiting and suggested something that has helped her. It's called an Osmo patch, which is like a tea bag that you place over the affected joint and then place an adhesive bandage over that. Do it before bed and in the morning, if the problem is bursitis, the "tea bag" will be hard in the morning, drawing up, I guess, what is causing the inflammation. I was skeptical, but she gave me one to try. Not sure how well it worked—the pain was still there—but the tea bag was hard in the morning (and very smoky smelling). But I ordered a package to try over multiple nights to see if that's what it'll take. If it doesn't help, well, I'll wait for another couple months before making a doctor's appointment.
I’ve heard the cortisone shot works (temporarily) but I never did it because I was concerned that if you were pain free you would do things that could worsen the problem then when the cortisone wears off!!!!!!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:13pm
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

...But Seriously.

I've tried the stuff with ibuprofen but found the Radium B stuff penetrates deeper like the deep heat.

Yeah I'm going to hunt that stuff down tomorrow, this isn't doing the best of jobs despite the good reviews, against all odds.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

...But Seriously.

Yeah I'm going to hunt that stuff down tomorrow, this isn't doing the best of jobs despite the good reviews, against all odds.
Give the Radium B a go but remember you can't hurry rub.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:27pm
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

...But Seriously.

:lol: we were running out of good ones!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

...But Seriously.

I take everything you say at face value.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:31pm
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Well, something happened on the way to IMCT.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2019, 2:46pm
I’ve heard the cortisone shot works (temporarily) but I never did it because I was concerned that if you were pain free you would do things that could worsen the problem then when the cortisone wears off!!!!!!
Good point. And I'm not someone who can be counted on to let something rest once the pain is gone. I want to get back to my exercise routine as soon as I can.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

coffeepotman wrote:
26 May 2019, 2:29pm
Wolter wrote:
26 May 2019, 2:15pm
BitterTom wrote:
Mostly what’s said before. Preventative stuff like Pilates, yoga. Any warm-ups designed to stretch/lengthen your spine. Build up your core and be very mindful of how you align yourself when lifting.

Do as I say, not as I do.
You can see if you can go to physical therapy, a good PT really saved me many times with not only exercises but the correct technique to do the exercises.
Oh yeah. That’s crucial if you can. Saved my knee when I deep bruised it at work.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 May 2019, 4:31pm
BitterTom wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Well, something happened on the way to IMCT.
That's just the way it is mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

After four nights applying an Osmo patch to my bum shoulder, it's gotten noticeably worse, like there's no cartilage in there at all. So I'm quitting that stuff to see whether things improve.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I've resurrected my softball career once for another year. Guess who hit a game winning bases loaded, 2 out, bottom of the 7th triple to the gap in left center. As long as I can play at the same level as 30 year olds I'm in.