The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A thread for all your Gen X needs. I'll start off by sharing something that I finally found a copy of: a pdf of Cameron Crowe's original Fast Times at Ridgemont High book. I've always wanted to read it, but used prices run $60 and up, so I occasionally look to see whether someone's finally scanned a copy. Today I found one and copied it to my Dropbox account: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ej06e8obptrb ... 0Story.pdf

That this has gone OOP is a real headscratcher to me. Some kind of anniversary reprint would easily have sold well to forty-somethings.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by tepista »

Fast Times was a book?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:Fast Times was a book?
Shit, yeah. Crowe went undercover at a high school, listening in on students' conversations, and wrote it as a pseudo-exposé of American adolescence in the early 80s. It was then optioned for a film. I've understood the film to be considerably different from the original, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Shit, yeah. Crowe went undercover at a high school, listening in on students' conversations, and wrote it as a pseudo-exposé of American adolescence in the early 80s. It was then optioned for a film. I've understood the film to be considerably different from the original, tho.
Well read it already then tell me about it.

HaydenWar
Long Time Jerk

Post by HaydenWar »

Thanks, been looking for this for a long time also.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well read it already then tell me about it.
It's slotted right after what I'm currently reading.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I'm re-watching Charlie's Angels on dvd. :shifty:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Mimi wrote:I'm re-watching Charlie's Angels on dvd. :shifty:
I watched season one and half of season 2 of White Shadow, but then I lost interest.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I can't be the only one who thought from its title, this thread was about Billy Idol & co....
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JohnS wrote:I can't be the only one who thought from its title, this thread was about Billy Idol & co....
No, that would be: Older, Fatter, Still Shit.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sorry to immediately derail, but I've never quite fathomed the Billy Idol hate. Generation X was a solid band, his first solo album is good and Rebel Yell is a borderline great album. Since then, his catalog is really uneven but even then there are some worthwhile moments (at least until he lost whatever shreds of dignity he had left and released his Christmas album).

Also, Vital Idol is probably the album that taught me as a 14 or 15 year old to stop worrying and love remixes (not that it's a particularly great remix album qua remix albums, but it's situated well to be a gateway for folks who were into Punk and New Wave to get into the clubbier side of things).

He seems like a fine slice of early 80s punk-inspired dancey Pop/New Wave to me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I wish I could get my hands on the official Valley Girl handbook. Also, I need to rematch the movie Valley Girl.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:I wish I could get my hands on the official Valley Girl handbook. Also, I need to rematch the movie Valley Girl.
[youtube][/youtube]

My best friend and I walked around the halls of junior high singing this song.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:Sorry to immediately derail, but I've never quite fathomed the Billy Idol hate. Generation X was a solid band, his first solo album is good and Rebel Yell is a borderline great album. Since then, his catalog is really uneven but even then there are some worthwhile moments (at least until he lost whatever shreds of dignity he had left and released his Christmas album).

Also, Vital Idol is probably the album that taught me as a 14 or 15 year old to stop worrying and love remixes (not that it's a particularly great remix album qua remix albums, but it's situated well to be a gateway for folks who were into Punk and New Wave to get into the clubbier side of things).

He seems like a fine slice of early 80s punk-inspired dancey Pop/New Wave to me.
Gen X were good band I concede, I've just never liked any of his solo stuff.
I would mention Sid and jumping into shoes at this point but that is old ground that has been raked over many times.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:Sorry to immediately derail, but I've never quite fathomed the Billy Idol hate. Generation X was a solid band, his first solo album is good and Rebel Yell is a borderline great album. Since then, his catalog is really uneven but even then there are some worthwhile moments (at least until he lost whatever shreds of dignity he had left and released his Christmas album).

I was never that keen on Gen X, but I admittedly actively dislike Billy Idol. It was soft/safe punk mixed with the worst side of Heavy Metal (the widdly guitar bits) and just seemed too opportunist and fake. Vegas Punk, if you will. Add in leather waistcoats/trousers and 80s production, and it's just not for me.

Yes, there's a couple of solid tunes there, but I won't be downloading his greatest hits any time soon.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board