The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by Silent Majority »

Guys, come see me in the repurposed shipping container in the corner of this mostly empty warehouse which serves as my office. I'll make a green smoothie and play some vinyl synth music. We'll also do your monthly Enthusiasm Review and you can explain to Brandji from HR why you've gone over by two minutes on your bathroom allowance on two of the last six days.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 May 2019, 2:26pm
Guys, come see me in the repurposed shipping container in the corner of this mostly empty warehouse which serves as my office. I'll make a green smoothie and play some vinyl synth music. We'll also do your monthly Enthusiasm Review and you can explain to Brandji from HR why you've gone over by two minutes on your bathroom allowance on two of the last six days.
I just literally died.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
02 May 2019, 2:28pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I just literally died.
My ass-cheeks clenched.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Mimi wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:58pm
Wolter wrote:
02 May 2019, 2:28pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I just literally died.
My ass-cheeks clenched.
My ghost ass is clenched because even literal death is no escape.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

smoothie, tho
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Some of you are looking a bit tense. Let me just take off my backwards baseball cap. Remember: anyone who's worked more than 60 hours this week is entitled to a half hour with the office masseuse/urine tester.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wolter, got any lower back pain remedies? It is agony to say the least, barely moved in the last 6 hours.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 11:55am
Wolter, got any lower back pain remedies? It is agony to say the least, barely moved in the last 6 hours.
I found chiropractors to be helpful and then a good one will recommend exercises to stretch and strengthen muscles in that area to help prevent reoccurrence. Along with proper lifting techniques. Other than that right now pain meds and putting yourself in a position where you experience the least amount of pain. Funny I had back issues when I was much younger. But have been good for the last 20 years.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2019, 11:59am
BitterTom wrote:
I found chiropractors to be helpful and then a good one will recommend exercises to stretch and strengthen muscles in that area to help prevent reoccurrence. Along with proper lifting techniques. Other than that right now pain meds and putting yourself in a position where you experience the least amount of pain. Funny I had back issues when I was much younger. But have been good for the last 20 years.
When I started this job, I was stupid, seeing how big a quarter of beef I could scoop up and carry on my back instead of breaking it down first because I thought that was a cool thing to do. Bloody stupidity on my part. Thank you for the advice, I get this nearly every 3 months on average at the moment so need to stretch and strengthen muscles like you said. A chiropractor would be ideal, as an early birthday present it's worth asking for! I hope to hell I'm like you and that this will be the worst of it now!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 12:07pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
When I started this job, I was stupid, seeing how big a quarter of beef I could scoop up and carry on my back instead of breaking it down first because I thought that was a cool thing to do. Bloody stupidity on my part. Thank you for the advice, I get this nearly every 3 months on average at the moment so need to stretch and strengthen muscles like you said. A chiropractor would be ideal, as an early birthday present it's worth asking for! I hope to hell I'm like you and that this will be the worst of it now!
I think when you get older you have learned from some of the stupid things and adjust your behavior accordingly. Now when I have something big and heavy to move I approach as a problem to solve rather than something to prove my strength.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2019, 12:18pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 May 2019, 12:07pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I think when you get older you have learned from some of the stupid things and adjust your behavior accordingly. Now when I have something big and heavy to move I approach as a problem to solve rather than something to prove my strength.
Yep, sadly we usually learn that the hard way! Sad really looking back that was the test to 'prove' your masculinity, glad I've grown up and stopped that shit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pilates are supposed to be good for strengthen your core muscles, which will alleviate back pain.

And while this won't help you in your circumstances, since getting this hard-foam coccyx cushion for my office chair, a lot of my lower back pain has dissipated.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
Mostly what’s said before. Preventative stuff like Pilates, yoga. Any warm-ups designed to stretch/lengthen your spine. Build up your core and be very mindful of how you align yourself when lifting.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
Put all your Phil Collins CD's on the floor and then bend over and pick them up one by one. It probably won't actually cure your back troubles but it might make you hate Phil a little more.

Seriously I used to use Radium B creme to get some relief. Hope it eases up soon for you mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Wolter wrote:
26 May 2019, 2:15pm
BitterTom wrote:
Mostly what’s said before. Preventative stuff like Pilates, yoga. Any warm-ups designed to stretch/lengthen your spine. Build up your core and be very mindful of how you align yourself when lifting.

Do as I say, not as I do.
You can see if you can go to physical therapy, a good PT really saved me many times with not only exercises but the correct technique to do the exercises.