The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 May 2023, 6:10pm

I honestly and truly thought my habit of ending sentences with ellipses was idiosyncratic. Is it actually a Gen X thing?
Maybe...
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I honestly and truly thought my habit of ending sentences with ellipses was idiosyncratic. Is it actually a Gen X thing?
I think I caught my overuse of dashes in my writing virally from you.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 May 2023, 7:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm really bad for that, too. It's funny that when copy editing for clients, I stress simpler sentences, but my own stuff is littered with em-dashes and parenthetical phrases. Just a tyranny of clauses crammed in single sentences.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 7:17am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm really bad for that, too. It's funny that when copy editing for clients, I stress simpler sentences, but my own stuff is littered with em-dashes and parenthetical phrases. Just a tyranny of clauses crammed in single sentences.
Hello,

Writing here is a bit more conversational. I'll admit to (too?) many dashes. My academic writing is much more formal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
09 May 2023, 9:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 7:17am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Writing here is a bit more conversational. I'll admit to (too?) many dashes. My academic writing is much more formal.
Even my formal writing—or at least first drafts—are terribly overpacked sentences. It's frustrating trending toward embarrassing because I know better. And I know that I probably don't self-edit as effectively as I do for other people. Probably why I hate writing so much.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Start of the new softball season and Ive definitely lost a step or two. I nearly got thrown out at home once, thankfully the catcher couldn't handle the throw.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 May 2023, 10:10pm
Start of the new softball season and Ive definitely lost a step or two. I nearly got thrown out at home once, thankfully the catcher couldn't handle the throw.
You need to hit the books and brush up on clichés. The older you get, the start of the season means you feel like you're in the best shape of your life.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Anyone have experience with plantar fasciitis? I'm trying to get into a podiatrist, but I am having a difficult time getting one who is covered by my insurance to call me back. I do stretches every day, but my left heel is killing me. Anyone have tips?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 1:11pm
Anyone have experience with plantar fasciitis? I'm trying to get into a podiatrist, but I am having a difficult time getting one who is covered by my insurance to call me back. I do stretches every day, but my left heel is killing me. Anyone have tips?
I may have had it—never went to a doctor, as is my way—years ago. My recollection is that it eventually went away with time, but it was several weeks of serious discomfort.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
I don't, at least not where I would need a doctor, and I'm not saying listen to my advice over a doc, but do some massaging around your ankle and shin to see if it's actually a referred pain, maybe wrap some moist heat around your foot until you can get in. I hope you find relief soon. It sucks trying to walk with that shit.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
Fucking foot nazis.

The thing that helped me was getting better insoles for my regular every day sneakers. The stock ones tend to wear out quickly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 1:35pm
JennyB wrote:
Fucking foot nazis.

The thing that helped me was getting better insoles for my regular every day sneakers. The stock ones tend to wear out quickly.
Yes! Now that you've mentioned it, I invested in some high-quality insoles and they alleviated some of the pain.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 2:02pm
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Fucking foot nazis.

Yes! Now that you've mentioned it, I invested in some high-quality insoles and they alleviated some of the pain.
Thank you all for the quick replies. I'm wearing Walgreen's insoles, so I should probably invest in a better pair. Will try the massage route, too!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

JennyB wrote:
I had work-related heel spurs in both heels about 12 years ago (I worked outdoors, in wooded and uneven terrain). Every step was like I was stepping on a nail. Was in pain for like 6 months. Then I saw a podiatrist who gave me cortisone shots in both heels and had me start wearing arch supports. I also did the stretches - probably the same ones you are doing - straightened leg and pulling the toes towards you. Pain went away within a couple weeks of the shots, and I haven’t used the arch supports since.

Other than that, I’d recommend that when you get out of bed in the morning, sit with your feet on the floor for a minute or so, and let the blood settle to your lower extremities, before just getting up and putting your full weight on your feet. That’s what my podiatrist told me anyway.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JennyB wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 2:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 2:02pm
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Fucking foot nazis.

Thank you all for the quick replies. I'm wearing Walgreen's insoles, so I should probably invest in a better pair. Will try the massage route, too!
Hello,

Throw a bottle of water in the freezer. Once it's frozen, take it out, lay it on the floor, and roll your foot over it for 10 minutes or so.