Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 7:52pm
revbob wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 7:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 6:06pm
laxman wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 5:48pm
Just finished watching the first series of Westworld. Enjoyed it. Watched most episodes more than once to try to make sure I was picking up the clues about what was going on. Got to the last episode and it turned out that I hadn't!
I started it a couple of years back and gave up after 3 episodes. Just didnt have a clue what was going on and wasnt willing to invest the necessary time to find out.
I wasn't a fan of the original movie. I was a kid when I watched it so perhaps I missed something. Anyway as a result I haven't tried watching the series.
Yul was cool but I think the movie looks very dated now. The TV series was being shown as 2 episodes per week, which might have helped me get into it easier than just 1 per week.
I liked the movie when I saw it many moons ago. I have watched a couple of episodes of season 1 but I've been distracted by other stuff. Will try again on your recommendation.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

laxman wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 7:52pm
revbob wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 7:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 6:06pm
laxman wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 5:48pm
Just finished watching the first series of Westworld. Enjoyed it. Watched most episodes more than once to try to make sure I was picking up the clues about what was going on. Got to the last episode and it turned out that I hadn't!
I started it a couple of years back and gave up after 3 episodes. Just didnt have a clue what was going on and wasnt willing to invest the necessary time to find out.
I wasn't a fan of the original movie. I was a kid when I watched it so perhaps I missed something. Anyway as a result I haven't tried watching the series.
Yul was cool but I think the movie looks very dated now. The TV series was being shown as 2 episodes per week, which might have helped me get into it easier than just 1 per week.
Yeah well 7 year old me kept waiting for the cool stuff to happen.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Halfway through a Carry On marathon. Just the thing for a crappy Sunday. Done Camping, Henry now then Dick.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I recently started Peaky Blinders. Interesting enough so far.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 4:39pm
I will rewatch Eagleheart. Did you get to the House of Blues episode yet?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 4:44pm
revbob wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 4:39pm
I will rewatch Eagleheart. Did you get to the House of Blues episode yet?
Yeah last night. This show is awesome.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It took us several months (we started in October), but we finally finished Ken Burns' Country documentary last night. It was well done and engaging. My one criticism is that it felt a bit "shallow" at times, but then it is such a big subject that it would have been very hard (if not impossible) to take a truly deep dive into the history. I liked that it exposed me to some artists who I had heard of, but never heard.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:08am
It took us several months (we started in October), but we finally finished Ken Burns' Country documentary last night. It was well done and engaging. My one criticism is that it felt a bit "shallow" at times, but then it is such a big subject that it would have been very hard (if not impossible) to take a truly deep dive into the history. I liked that it exposed me to some artists who I had heard of, but never heard.
Have you seen his other docs, and if so, how does it compare? I've never gotten around to seeing any of them and not sure which one to start with other than Jazz (because of personal interest).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
I caught bits of this, great stuff.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 4:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Have you seen his other docs, and if so, how does it compare? I've never gotten around to seeing any of them and not sure which one to start with other than Jazz (because of personal interest).
I've seen quite a few of his documentaries and I would say this one is probably average compared to some of his better ones (Civil War, Vietnam, WW2, Baseball). It was on par with Jazz. It was very well done, but I think it just suffers from trying to tell a very expansive story across 8 episodes. This doesn't mean it's not a good documentary, it definitely is: well thought out, well put together, great interviews.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 4:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
One of my favourite cultural historians, George Lipsitz, tore Burns a new one over the jazz documentary. Burns treats jazz as this unifying American music, utterly obscuring that it was the music of the persecuted and marginalized, shunned by elites before being co-opted.

The only docs of his that I rate are the ones on Vietnam and The Dust Bowl (tho apparently environmental historians have lots of problems with that one). The baseball one is quite good, but I disagree with his use of Jackie Robinson and desegregation as the be-all moment when players were still basically wage slaves until free agency was achieved. But if you're a baseball fan, it's still a love letter.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Anyone watching Hunters? I really like it. I know it's getting a lot of flack for being over the top, but I like that aspect of it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 4:25pm
Anyone watching Hunters? I really like it. I know it's getting a lot of flack for being over the top, but I like that aspect of it.
Just the first episode so far but my interest is piqued enough for more.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Just binge watched The Stranger on Netflix.
I enjoyed it it was a good story although as with a lot of things it got a bit OTT at the end.