Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 8:56pm

Cobra Kai is the greatest love letter to Kids of the 80's ever. At least in America (you Limey's will have to chime in on your own behalf).

Every decade gets rhapsodized about at some point in the future. The 80's were the decade when I was a kid: when I could just be carefree and not worry about crap like bills, work, kids (even though I love mine), sore backs, car repairs, and so on. It was waking up and not giving a shit because I didn't yet know I had to give a shit about much.

I've seen the decade get parodied. I've seen legit attempts to channel the zeitgeist without success.

This show somehow gets it. It makes me nostalgic, but doesn't make me feel old. It makes me happy, but doesn't make me sad for decades gone by. My kids love it, and it's a part of my childhood that I can share with them.

It allows me to dig Peter Cetera without feeling like a dork (though to be fair, 25 or 6 to 4 is a bad ass track that he handles the lead one).

The writing is great. The acting is great. They don't try too hard. It feels real, not forced.
I've not seen the above. But for me I think "Stanger Things" maybe the greatest homage to all things 80s.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 11:05pm
Watching Angie tribeca, holy shit so funny
Yeah I enjoyed that.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 11:05pm
Watching Angie tribeca, holy shit so funny
YES! We binged that not too long ago, fucking fantastic. AIRPLANE!/Naked Gun humor, done right.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

S2 of the Righteous Gemstones starts tonight.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 11:50am
I meant to watch it when S1 was on, but I didn't have Max at the time. Looking forward to getting started.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 3:43pm
revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 11:50am
I meant to watch it when S1 was on, but I didn't have Max at the time. Looking forward to getting started.
I let my sub expire, will look for a good deal to come along cuz a cheap bastard.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Just finished "Dexter New Blood" and thought it was great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Started to watch PEN15. Oh lord, this is painful. Not in a "this is awful" painful, but in that "junior high is a satanic ordeal." It makes me glad that I don't have kids because, at that age, I'd want to murder their evil classmates for making them feel insecure.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Arcane on Netflix. I guess it's based on a game, but the story is pretty interesting albeit a little depressing. The animation is dope, though.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 11:25am
Arcane on Netflix. I guess it's based on a game, but the story is pretty interesting albeit a little depressing. The animation is dope, though.
I think I sort of watched that.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 8:40pm
Started to watch PEN15. Oh lord, this is painful. Not in a "this is awful" painful, but in that "junior high is a satanic ordeal." It makes me glad that I don't have kids because, at that age, I'd want to murder their evil classmates for making them feel insecure.
A lot of it rings real true. My school didn't have UGIS rankings but we might as well have.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 2:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A lot of it rings real true. My school didn't have UGIS rankings but we might as well have.
The Boss watched the first episode this morning and was just wincing. Details might differ, but the malicious spirit of junior high is all over it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 3:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss watched the first episode this morning and was just wincing. Details might differ, but the malicious spirit of junior high is all over it.
I'd love to kick that little fucker Brandt off a cliff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 5:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 3:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'd love to kick that little fucker Brandt off a cliff.
We cackled like demons when Maya made him cry by bringing up his aardvark dick and dead dad. Just fucking nuclear devastation.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Watched The Silent Sea last week — good fun, if you're into that sci-fi thriller-type stuff.