Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Currently watching.

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 7:37pm
revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 2:25pm
My wife is watching an episode of SNL. Musical guest The 1975 or is it just 1975. Either way my wife asks me "what kind of music would you call this?" The first answer to come to mind is LAME. I smile but instead I ask "do you mean what style?"

Im learning.

Fuck me though thry are pure awful.
Driving in the car with The Boss, she’s the driver so she gets to pick the radio station. It’s mostly that bland dance-y party music—think Black Eyed Peas. I can tell when she’s really into what’s playing and I’ll say, “So, you like this?” That’s about as far I can go with a critique. But it’s just a complete mystery how it’s appealing. Even if, like, black metal is total shit to me, I can at least understand the appeal.
That's how I am with VH. Though he told me once that I ruined music for him, so there's that. Mission accomplished!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
My wife is watching an episode of SNL. Musical guest The 1975 or is it just 1975. Either way my wife asks me "what kind of music would you call this?" The first answer to come to mind is LAME. I smile but instead I ask "do you mean what style?"

Im learning.

Driving in the car with The Boss, she’s the driver so she gets to pick the radio station. It’s mostly that bland dance-y party music—think Black Eyed Peas. I can tell when she’s really into what’s playing and I’ll say, “So, you like this?” That’s about as far I can go with a critique. But it’s just a complete mystery how it’s appealing. Even if, like, black metal is total shit to me, I can at least understand the appeal.
That's how I am with VH. Though he told me once that I ruined music for him, so there's that. Mission accomplished!
She's never accused me of ruining music for her (not that I can recall) but I get that with tv or a movie. I'll just be making observations, inserting my own dialogue and she'll hit pause and say, "Is that the way this is going to go?"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 11:51am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Im learning.

She's never accused me of ruining music for her (not that I can recall) but I get that with tv or a movie. I'll just be making observations, inserting my own dialogue and she'll hit pause and say, "Is that the way this is going to go?"
Running commentary is not as easy as it sounds.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 12:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Im learning.

Running commentary is not as easy as it sounds.
Depends on how concerned you are with emphasizing quality over quantity.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched the first episode of Lucky Hank this evening, a horribly retitled adaptation of Richard Russo's brilliant comedic novel Straight Man. Bob Odenkirk plays a literature prof at a shitty college going thru a midlife/mid-career crisis. It works even better if you're familiar with the idiocy of college politics, but it's funny even outside that. Highly highly highly recommend the original novel.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 8:27pm
Watched the first episode of Lucky Hank this evening, a horribly retitled adaptation of Richard Russo's brilliant comedic novel Straight Man. Bob Odenkirk plays a literature prof at a shitty college going thru a midlife/mid-career crisis. It works even better if you're familiar with the idiocy of college politics, but it's funny even outside that. Highly highly highly recommend the original novel.
So are you recommending the book, the show, neither or both?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 8:27pm
So are you recommending the book, the show, neither or both?
Both, but so far the novel is much better (to be fair, the novel is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read, so that’s not a mark against the adaptation). And, well, it is just one episode in. If you liked Nobody’s Fool, that’s Russo’s kind of humour.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Im learning.

:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I can bite my tongue on almost anything, except stuff in the true crime genre (and following court cases as "news" and whatnot). I find all that stuff genuinely horrible and antisocial and it has negative consequences on how my wife feels about being in the world (i.e. Greatly increasing how unsafe she feels to be out and about). Following salacious murder cases and stuff has always been an idiotic part of our media landscape, but the reinforcing ecosystem of streaming documentaries, podcasts, national news coverage, etc. has just amped all this stuff even further. I truly hate it.

My mother in law just marinates herself in that stuff and I at least try to encourage my wife to keep ithat stuff, and her, a little at arms length following these things.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 11:30am
I can bite my tongue on almost anything, except stuff in the true crime genre (and following court cases as "news" and whatnot). I find all that stuff genuinely horrible and antisocial and it has negative consequences on how my wife feels about being in the world (i.e. Greatly increasing how unsafe she feels to be out and about). Following salacious murder cases and stuff has always been an idiotic part of our media landscape, but the reinforcing ecosystem of streaming documentaries, podcasts, national news coverage, etc. has just amped all this stuff even further. I truly hate it.

My mother in law just marinates herself in that stuff and I at least try to encourage my wife to keep ithat stuff, and her, a little at arms length following these things.
I watch true crime "documentaries" every so often, but I totally get what you mean. I have a limit to how much I can handle because I'll start seeing serial killers behind every bush or something. My interests usually involve cults and family situations, but I can't watch the guys who just see a girl in Target, comment on her nice legs, follow her outside, drag her into the woods and rape/murder her. That was one I watched a long time ago. Scared me for years. That was the last time I watched shows like that because that stuff will eat your brain parts. I'll stick with my cults. :shifty:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Mimi wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 11:57am
I watch true crime "documentaries" every so often, but I totally get what you mean. I have a limit to how much I can handle because I'll start seeing serial killers behind every bush or something. My interests usually involve cults and family situations, but I can't watch the guys who just see a girl in Target, comment on her nice legs, follow her outside, drag her into the woods and rape/murder her. That was one I watched a long time ago. Scared me for years. That was the last time I watched shows like that because that stuff will eat your brain parts. I'll stick with my cults. :shifty:
Yeah, the missus is much the same. At least when I watch horror movies, it's all so obviously ridiculous that it doesn't really freak me out in real life. It's funny, the missus can't really do horror movies (although we've found some stuff we mutually enjoy over the years), but it's the true crime stuff that I'm squeamish about. I just can't handle taking that stuff as entertainment and it doesn't make me feel like I've gained a better understanding of the world around me, like you'd want from say a documentary or whatever. As I said, I think there are bad effects to it, but I listen to oi music so obviously people should like what they like.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Did a 6 year old write the most recent episode of the Mandalorian? Its pretty awful even for a 6yo.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 3:02pm
Did a 6 year old write the most recent episode of the Mandalorian? Its pretty awful even for a 6yo.
ha, that reminded me of this

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
The one with the kid? Yeah, that seemed like filler.

I also felt bad for the baby monsters at the end.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 3:37pm
revbob wrote:
The one with the kid? Yeah, that seemed like filler.

I also felt bad for the baby monsters at the end.
The line from the father of the kid that got taken: "It always gets away."

So this isn't the first time? You chase after it with your silly jet packs knowing it can just keep flying long after you run out of fuel? And you haven't figured out maybe you should have some people on the lookout to blast the fucking thing before it takes another kid ? And at the start of the episode most of them are just blasting the shit out of nothing. And realistically speaking why would you think the kid would still be alive a day later?