Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 6:54pm
Watching the last season of Newsradio and, y'know, it's actually pretty good. Communityesque, really, in that it abandons the whole radio station premise in favour of batshittery that rests on the characters. It doesn't engage in the critique of tv that Community loved to do, but the destruction of ostensible premise is the same. And Lovitz is really good because Lovitz is just plain-ass funny.
Yeah, I actually like that last season too (from what I remember anyways). The rare case of going for it even after the departure/death of a critical cast member, doing a soft reboot, and making it work. Lovitz is somewhat underrated, imho. He's usually quite funny as long as he's not misused.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 7:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Watching the last season of Newsradio and, y'know, it's actually pretty good. Communityesque, really, in that it abandons the whole radio station premise in favour of batshittery that rests on the characters. It doesn't engage in the critique of tv that Community loved to do, but the destruction of ostensible premise is the same. And Lovitz is really good because Lovitz is just plain-ass funny.
Yeah, I actually like that last season too (from what I remember anyways). The rare case of going for it even after the departure/death of a critical cast member, doing a soft reboot, and making it work. Lovitz is somewhat underrated, imho. He's usually quite funny as long as he's not misused.
Kinda funny, too, that both shows were on NBC, and both times the network did not understand these gems that it lucked upon.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 7:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
He's got a guest spot on one episode of Just Shoot Me which is solid gold.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Watched the netflix documentary on the making of We Are The World and it was ok but, to be honest, a couple of reviews I'd read led me to believe it would be a lot better than it was. Frankly, I expected more sniping, ego-fuelled tantrums and maybe even a wet fish slap contest or two. Bar Waylon Jennings exiting in a huff because Stevie Wonder was singing in Swahili - see ya Waylon! - I thought the whole thing more remarkable for the level of peace and harmony on show than anything else. The eye is drawn to the stiff, inexpressive figure of Dylan throughout, though when it comes to it, he does deliver his line with an almost sweet, engaging humility. Still just 44 when the song was recorded, I'd have had Dylan down for a decade older at least. Passable 5/10 for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 12:14pm
Watched the netflix documentary on the making of We Are The World and it was ok but, to be honest, a couple of reviews I'd read led me to believe it would be a lot better than it was. Frankly, I expected more sniping, ego-fuelled tantrums and maybe even a wet fish slap contest or two. Bar Waylon Jennings exiting in a huff because Stevie Wonder was singing in Swahili - see ya Waylon! - I thought the whole thing more remarkable for the level of peace and harmony on show than anything else. The eye is drawn to the stiff, inexpressive figure of Dylan throughout, though when it comes to it, he does deliver his line with an almost sweet, engaging humility. Still just 44 when the song was recorded, I'd have had Dylan down for a decade older at least. Passable 5/10 for me.
In any photo, Dylan is either 20 years old or 80.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 12:20pm
Low Down Low wrote:
It's funny cos i was watching that film about his early 60s UK tour and remember being struck by how young he looked in it. Memo to self not to be shocked by Dylans appearance in anything anymore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 6:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It's funny cos i was watching that film about his early 60s UK tour and remember being struck by how young he looked in it. Memo to self not to be shocked by Dylans appearance in anything anymore.
Conspiracy theory a la "Paul is Dead": Dylan was killed in that motorcycle accident in '66 and replaced by a defective clone that, while it cannot die, is stuck at 80 years old. Actually, Paul died in '66, too. Maybe they were together …

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 6:09pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Conspiracy theory a la "Paul is Dead": Dylan was killed in that motorcycle accident in '66 and replaced by a defective clone that, while it cannot die, is stuck at 80 years old. Actually, Paul died in '66, too. Maybe they were together …
As a diagnosis of the voice change, that us simply the best and most convincing I've ever heard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 6:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 6:09pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
As a diagnosis of the voice change, that us simply the best and most convincing I've ever heard.
It was also shortly after that that his original fans started pining for the "real Dylan," not this cynic who's electrifying and going to Nashville. This shit has legs!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss dialed up a Law & Order with John Schuck. I said, "Yoyo!" Because, holy fuck, I'm really old.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 7:09pm
The Boss dialed up a Law & Order with John Schuck. I said, "Yoyo!" Because, holy fuck, I'm really old.
Holmes and Yoyo. That's a pretty sophisticated computer he has there. All this reminds me of Hymie from Get Smart. I loved that show back in the day.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 7:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Holmes and Yoyo. That's a pretty sophisticated computer he has there. All this reminds me of Hymie from Get Smart. I loved that show back in the day.
Loved Get Smart reruns as a kid. When I saw some maybe 20 years ago, they hadn't aged well. Rather forced humour.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 7:36pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Loved Get Smart reruns as a kid. When I saw some maybe 20 years ago, they hadn't aged well. Rather forced humour.
Yeah I haven't bothered to seek it out...although Barbara Feldon was an early childhood crush.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 7:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah I haven't bothered to seek it out...although Barbara Feldon was an early childhood crush.
As an old friend had a habit of saying, "Dirtydirtydirtydirty."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 7:40pm
revbob wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 7:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
As an old friend had a habit of saying, "Dirtydirtydirtydirty."
She was undeniably hot and holy shit still alive. Agent 99 is 91.