Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 9:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 7:36am
Silent Majority wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 6:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 6:25am
Silent Majority wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 4:09am

Best cartoon with an episode where a main character is a pickle.
Surprisingly, there is a competing a entry.
Yeah, I was "throwing" "shade" at Rick 'n' Morty.
And like a chump I walked into a pie in the face. :disshame:
Not a pie! A cardboard bucket, balanced purposely and precariously above a door which dropped on you, showering you with lametta.
And me without my protective parasol!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 10:38am
There was a period when American Dad was one of the best shows on TV - more humane and less stuck on trying to shock or be hateful than Family Guy. It grew to be more like its uglier older brother as time went on and the writing staffs cross pollinated and I checked out. Mad that MacFarlane's TV shows are still going. Ditto South Park, for that matter. If you're a legacy network animated show, I guess you remain profitable for a long, long time.
I'm curious about your experience with this. I've been rewatching the older seasons which I've so far found to be pretty reliant on stereotype and shock, and much closer to Family Guy (especially in delivery), whereas the newer stuff strikes me as way more on the surreal/non-sequitur side. What seasons do you tend to see this in? I do think there was a valley of quality in the first two seasons after they got picked up by TBS.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Ted Lasso continues to impress. Last night's episode was wonderful from start to finish.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 8:55pm
Ted Lasso continues to impress. Last night's episode was wonderful from start to finish.
Best of the season, easily. Honestly, I think the show this season (and even last, a touch) has started to feel a bit like "popular characters in search of a reason to have another 10 episodes" but it all snapped together nicely here. Here's hoping the back half of the season really brings it all home.

Addendum: I've said this elsewhere but as a west ham supporter it really annoys me that the club is portrayed as willing to invest money for talent on the pitch and acquire quality managers. Laughably off base.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 9:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 8:55pm
Best of the season, easily. Honestly, I think the show this season (and even last, a touch) has started to feel a bit like "popular characters in search of a reason to have another 10 episodes" but it all snapped together nicely here. Here's hoping the back half of the season really brings it all home.

Addendum: I've said this elsewhere but as a west ham supporter it really annoys me that the club is portrayed as willing to invest money for talent on the pitch and acquire quality managers. Laughably off base.
Both Jamie and Roy's and Colin and Trent Crimm, the Independent's storylines were just lovely. And I want that houseboat (if you want to throw in the Dutch guy, I wouldn't object either).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss and I watched the first episode of White House Plumbers last night, a deliberately farcical interpretation of Nixon goons Hunt and Liddy. Because the source material is already laced with absurdity and incompetence, the leap to farce doesn't come off as forced. Last year's Gaslit already made Liddy out as comically insane—The Boss knows only the very rough basics of Watergate, so she was stunned and kept asking me if such and such was true; inevitably, I'd say, yeah, not a whole of exaggeration here—but this goes a step or two further.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Anybody else end up watching Lucky Hank? First (maybe only?) season wrapped up on Sunday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Lots of scenes and beats from the original novel, but a drastically different tone. The novel is absurdist, treating academia as a place of boobs that slowly eats at the dignity and sense of the people who work there, resulting in the protagonist's mid-life crisis. The series goes mostly to melancholy, with dashes of humour. I felt underwhelmed, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm judging it against the book rather than assessing it as its own story. So maybe I'm being unfair, but I can't be sure.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 1:50pm
Anybody else end up watching Lucky Hank? First (maybe only?) season wrapped up on Sunday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Lots of scenes and beats from the original novel, but a drastically different tone. The novel is absurdist, treating academia as a place of boobs that slowly eats at the dignity and sense of the people who work there, resulting in the protagonist's mid-life crisis. The series goes mostly to melancholy, with dashes of humour. I felt underwhelmed, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm judging it against the book rather than assessing it as its own story. So maybe I'm being unfair, but I can't be sure.
Id have to steal it or pay for it and Im not willing to do either.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not willing to steal tv? What are you, a narc?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:59pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not this show anyway

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2023, 5:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:59pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not this show anyway
Selective thieves are poseurs.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Boy, MASH really fell off a cliff in season 5. Frank is a buffoon. I can see why Larry Linville wanted to leave. The first three seasons are the best, but I think I've had enough. Once Trapper and Henry left, the tone shifted so drastically. Like everyone else did, I'll blame Alan Alda. :lol:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
11 May 2023, 3:48pm
Boy, MASH really fell off a cliff in season 5. Frank is a buffoon. I can see why Larry Linville wanted to leave. The first three seasons are the best, but I think I've had enough. Once Trapper and Henry left, the tone shifted so drastically. Like everyone else did, I'll blame Alan Alda. :lol:
Im with Mimi, I think I only watched out of habit at one point. That and we had like 4 channels.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
11 May 2023, 3:55pm
Mimi wrote:
Im with Mimi, I think I only watched out of habit at one point. That and we had like 4 channels.
Yeah, I watched the later seasons, mostly because it was on and we only had a few channels, but watching it back to back on Hulu, I see the cracks. It wasn't that great of a show in the end.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
11 May 2023, 4:07pm
revbob wrote:
11 May 2023, 3:55pm
Mimi wrote:
Yeah, I watched the later seasons, mostly because it was on and we only had a few channels, but watching it back to back on Hulu, I see the cracks. It wasn't that great of a show in the end.
I wouldn't dare go back and watch them