Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It seems like American Idol, but national instead of individual.

There's a scene in an episode of You're the Worst, where Jimmy's white-trash family come to visit him in L.A. and are watching Eurovision, his one sister complaining, "The bleedin' Belgians are cheating again!"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

When I can't get into stuff like this, I wonder if there's something wrong with me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
13 May 2023, 5:05pm
When I can't get into stuff like this, I wonder if there's something wrong with me.
Nothing wrong from my point of view.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Whereas I get baffled by people *really* care about who wins Big Brother or Survivor or the like. The Boss watches them, so I catch a few episode and what I've concluded is that the contestants are all awful people.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 5:23pm
Mimi wrote:
Whereas I get baffled by people *really* care about who wins Big Brother or Survivor or the like. The Boss watches them, so I catch a few episode and what I've concluded is that the contestants are all awful people.
Shows like that, they seem to find the worst of the worst because ratings.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:50pm
Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:46pm

Avenue 5,that's it. Gonna start tonight in case i just forget about it again, very much enjoyed S1 so more of the same and I'm a happy bunny.

Speaking of Ianucci, I just happened to watch a random Veep episode on the comedy channel yesterday and it had me veritably snorting with laughter which i can testify is not an easy thing to do.
I did a full-ass re-watch of Veep a few months after not watching it all except for when new episodes were being released. I found it far more engaging than I gave it credit for, benefiting, perhaps, from that intense immersion into the whole thing.
I love it but i do think it can be a bit overpowering at times in terms of script, like they are trying too hard to make every single line a zinger and sometimes the plots can seem a little undercooked as a result. I felt this even more so with its limey precursor, The Thick of It which, if you took out Malcolm Tucker's foul mouthed rants and diatribes, would leave little substance. Plus, Veep has Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and she is quite likely the best comic actor I've ever seen, or right up there at least.
That's a fair assessment. It's a very writerly style, where the dialogue can come off as the writers showing off their vocabulary and cleverness. If you step back from the environment, we're supposed to accept that almost all the characters are boobs, yet most everything out of their mouth is le mot juste. A former friend of mine hated shows and books like that because it made it impossible for him to embrace the fiction—the superiority of the dialogue made it all too unreal. He just thought it was writers showing off rather than telling a story. My attitude was (and is) that it's a gamble. It either succeeds immensely or it's pretentious garbage—there really is no in-between. Writing more like everyday conversation is a safer course (tho risking being deathly dull).
Spot on. I fall on the immense success side of the line because the quality of the writing, with one or two exceptions, is first rate and quite well sustained to the conclusion.
I love Iannucci, my favorite work of his is Death of Stalin.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
13 May 2023, 5:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 5:23pm
Mimi wrote:
Shows like that, they seem to find the worst of the worst because ratings.
A friend of ours, in the early years of Survivor, said she wanted to apply because she's really good at managing conflict and getting people to work together (she really was), and we told her that there is no way in hell they'd want someone like her. Narcissists first last and always.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:50pm

I did a full-ass re-watch of Veep a few months after not watching it all except for when new episodes were being released. I found it far more engaging than I gave it credit for, benefiting, perhaps, from that intense immersion into the whole thing.
I love it but i do think it can be a bit overpowering at times in terms of script, like they are trying too hard to make every single line a zinger and sometimes the plots can seem a little undercooked as a result. I felt this even more so with its limey precursor, The Thick of It which, if you took out Malcolm Tucker's foul mouthed rants and diatribes, would leave little substance. Plus, Veep has Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and she is quite likely the best comic actor I've ever seen, or right up there at least.
That's a fair assessment. It's a very writerly style, where the dialogue can come off as the writers showing off their vocabulary and cleverness. If you step back from the environment, we're supposed to accept that almost all the characters are boobs, yet most everything out of their mouth is le mot juste. A former friend of mine hated shows and books like that because it made it impossible for him to embrace the fiction—the superiority of the dialogue made it all too unreal. He just thought it was writers showing off rather than telling a story. My attitude was (and is) that it's a gamble. It either succeeds immensely or it's pretentious garbage—there really is no in-between. Writing more like everyday conversation is a safer course (tho risking being deathly dull).
Spot on. I fall on the immense success side of the line because the quality of the writing, with one or two exceptions, is first rate and quite well sustained to the conclusion.
I think you'd like White House Plumbers on that count.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:07pm
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Death of Stalin was outstanding. In need of a rewatch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
A friend of mine saw it in a theatre—maybe a dozen people—and an old lady kept shushing him, telling him to show some respect. He was torn between hilarity, irritation, and confusion.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
A friend of mine saw it in a theatre—maybe a dozen people—and an old lady kept shushing him, telling him to show some respect. He was torn between hilarity, irritation, and confusion.
Oh man! Does remind me of time i went to see the Rocky Horror Show in the mid 80s and when all these people, wearing weird outfits, started laughing and yelling out I was like, hey stfu, we're trying to watch a movie here. I really had no idea what the fuck was going on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Oh man! Does remind me of time i went to see the Rocky Horror Show in the mid 80s and when all these people, wearing weird outfits, started laughing and yelling out I was like, hey stfu, we're trying to watch a movie here. I really had no idea what the fuck was going on.
I've never seen that film! I know all about the dressing up crap, but never felt a need to see the movie.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:43pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've never seen that film! I know all about the dressing up crap, but never felt a need to see the movie.
I've never seen it and I actually went to it! Really, I've hardly any recall of it at all but pretty sure it did very little for me and I found the whole cult thing utterly perplexing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It was just a jump to the left...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2023, 10:02am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It was just a jump to the left...
Ssshhhh...trying to watch a movie here!