Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 2:17pm
Low Down Low wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 2:10pm
revbob wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 1:49pm
revbob wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 1:40pm
I know Im late to the game but does Curb Your Enthusiasm ever get less Seinfeldesque? Im 3 episodes in and not sure if I want to keep going. It can be funny sure but I feel I know what's coming all the time.
You're on the first season? Yeah, it's pretty an r-rated Seinfeld.
Yeah so it gets beyond that eventually?

I dont think i ever viewed curb as very seinfeldesqe
, but if you dont like it now I'm not sure that situation will ever improve. Some funny characters like Leon might help but thats a long way ahead into the box set.
Really? Because my wife and I were both watching it. I know I was thinking it almost right away and then my wife mentioned it in like episode 2.

It is funny but...
I dunno really, just never thought of it consciously that way. I can see similarities in the way the plots develop alright, but just the vibe seems different. I guess there's the larry-george thing but I'm not sure they're all that similar in character. I do love both shows equally so there's a chance i might not be seeing it quite right.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I know Im late to the game but does Curb Your Enthusiasm ever get less Seinfeldesque? Im 3 episodes in and not sure if I want to keep going. It can be funny sure but I feel I know what's coming all the time.
I dont think i ever viewed curb as very seinfeldesqe, but if you dont like it now I'm not sure that situation will ever improve. Some funny characters like Leon might help but thats a long way ahead into the box set.
I see them as close cousins because they're both basically comedies of manners. Those odd behaviours that we take for granted but, when violated, expose themselves as things that matter to us (at least in exaggerated comedic ways).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 2:38pm
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I dont think i ever viewed curb as very seinfeldesqe, but if you dont like it now I'm not sure that situation will ever improve. Some funny characters like Leon might help but thats a long way ahead into the box set.
I see them as close cousins because they're both basically comedies of manners. Those odd behaviours that we take for granted but, when violated, expose themselves as things that matter to us (at least in exaggerated comedic ways).
Thinking about it, that does make a lot of sense alright. The other thing is, though, I've heard lot of comments from people saying they never liked Seinfeld but love Curb, whatever latter has that former lacks (Larry himself being the obvious factor i guess). Whereas i cant imagine the opposite, ie someone loving Seinfeld but not digging Curb at all, though could be mistaken on that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 2:55pm
The other thing is, though, I've heard lot of comments from people saying they never liked Seinfeld but love Curb, whatever latter has that former lacks (Larry himself being the obvious factor i guess). Whereas i cant imagine the opposite, ie someone loving Seinfeld but not digging Curb at all, though could be mistaken on that.
Yeah, I know people who love Curb but say they hate Seinfeld. Maybe it's a question of like/dislike of the actors involved, but I've suspected it's tied up in an aversion (even if only unconsciously so) to things that are mainstream popular. If Seinfeld struggled to find an audience and was cancelled after two or three years, it'd be championed as a cult classic. The thrust of the humour is the same, so it does seem odd to love one but hate the other.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 3:00pm
Low Down Low wrote:
The other thing is, though, I've heard lot of comments from people saying they never liked Seinfeld but love Curb, whatever latter has that former lacks (Larry himself being the obvious factor i guess). Whereas i cant imagine the opposite, ie someone loving Seinfeld but not digging Curb at all, though could be mistaken on that.
Yeah, I know people who love Curb but say they hate Seinfeld. Maybe it's a question of like/dislike of the actors involved, but I've suspected it's tied up in an aversion (even if only unconsciously so) to things that are mainstream popular. If Seinfeld struggled to find an audience and was cancelled after two or three years, it'd be championed as a cult classic. The thrust of the humour is the same, so it does seem odd to love one but hate the other.
Thats a good point, in ways it was simply a victim of its own success. Probably too avant gardish for some tastes, bit too meta and clever for its own good. Lot of antipathy to seinfeld himself too I've also felt. I never shared that, not even the view that he was merely a competent straight man, always thought he was way better than that. But a lot of people just relate better to larry as lead character i think.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Thats a good point, in ways it was simply a victim of its own success. Probably too avant gardish for some tastes, bit too meta and clever for its own good. Lot of antipathy to seinfeld himself too I've also felt. I never shared that, not even the view that he was merely a competent straight man, always thought he was way better than that. But a lot of people just relate better to larry as lead character i think.
Yeah, it could be that Jerry comes off as smug, but Larry is a weird asshole, and we prefer the latter.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 4:06pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, it could be that Jerry comes off as smug, but Larry is a weird asshole, and we prefer the latter.
This I agree with. Larry has more of a regular guy appeal to him.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 4:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 4:06pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
This I agree with. Larry has more of a regular guy appeal to him.
Yet both characters think they're better than everyone else—they see what everyone else is missing.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I watched a handful of the new Twilight Zones, but didn't finish the season. CBS now has the season available in black and white, and I'm loving it. A much better TZ vibe. Recommend.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Ozark series 3 just landed!!!!
Perfect timing.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

2 eps of Tiger King, who's in?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 11:01pm
The guy with that dumb mullet?

Im watching Neon Joe Werewolf Hunter.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista wrote:
I am in deep. What a fuckin' bitch that Carole Blaskin is, gawd damn.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 11:21pm
Im watching Neon Joe Werewolf Hunter.
I saw that a few years ago. I just regognized the actor in something only a few days ago, don't remember what.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 11:32pm
tepista wrote:
I am in deep. What a fuckin' bitch that Carole Blaskin is, gawd damn.
2 eps in and I stopped trying to decide who I liked and who I didn't. they all fucking suck!