Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 9:05pm
Mimi wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 8:58pm
TCM just had a night of 50s sci-fi flicks. Golly, Forbidden Planet is freakin' awesome. I'm assuming this was the inspiration for Lost in Space.
Beautiful looking film. The colours just pop at you.
Leslie Nielsen does too. 😍

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 9:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TCM just had a night of 50s sci-fi flicks. Golly, Forbidden Planet is freakin' awesome. I'm assuming this was the inspiration for Lost in Space.
Fun fact: His brother Erik was a prominent federal Conservative cabinet minister in the 80s (might have been deputy PM at one point, not sure).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 6:20am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Fun fact: His brother Erik was a prominent federal Conservative cabinet minister in the 80s (might have been deputy PM at one point, not sure).
And their brother Rick is super whacky with his crazy guitars and all of those picks!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 10:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
And their brother Rick is super whacky with his crazy guitars and all of those picks!
Ha!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 10:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Those zany Nielsen boys.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We watched the series finale of Better Things last night. Such a damned fine show, as good a dramedy as you'll ever find. Pamela Adlon has a way about her that you flat-out want to be her friend (I've mentioned before that her character feels like a dear friend of ours, so that it seems like we're watching an alternate reality version of her life).

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 4:10pm
We watched the series finale of Better Things last night. Such a damned fine show, as good a dramedy as you'll ever find. Pamela Adlon has a way about her that you flat-out want to be her friend (I've mentioned before that her character feels like a dear friend of ours, so that it seems like we're watching an alternate reality version of her life).
Totally agree on all counts. One of the better series finales I have seen.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 May 2022, 11:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It was a small thing, but I loved Sam's wink at the very end.

The Boss read that PA genuinely did the cooking that features in so many episodes, and then it was consumed by cast and crew at the end of the day.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2022, 11:10am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Boss read that PA genuinely did the cooking that features in so many episodes, and then it was consumed by cast and crew at the end of the day.
I did too. And I don't mean to sound cliché, but I kind of felt like the food was another character of the show.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 May 2022, 11:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I did too. And I don't mean to sound cliché, but I kind of felt like the food was another character of the show.
It was just one of those things that made her so appealing. The rational part of me thinks there's something amiss because two of her three kids are assholes—teenage or not, you don't realize how fucking amazing your mother is, you shits?—but Sam came off as one of the best, most affirming characters on tv in decades.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2022, 11:21am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It was just one of those things that made her so appealing. The rational part of me thinks there's something amiss because two of her three kids are assholes—teenage or not, you don't realize how fucking amazing your mother is, you shits?—but Sam came off as one of the best, most affirming characters on tv in decades.
I thought Duke was also an asshole this season. But it's not Sam's fault!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 May 2022, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2022, 11:21am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I thought Duke was also an asshole this season. But it's not Sam's fault!
Duke was more of a moody teenager asshole this season, which is tolerable to me (plus she acknowledged that her mom is pretty damn awesome at the end, and she also called out Max and Frankie earlier in the season when they were pushing photos of their dad on Sam). It's Max and Frankie who are complete shitheads 99% of the time, stuff that goes well beyond being a teenager. Duke's the kid who's going to turn out alright. (I hope.)

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Has anyone watched The Pentaverate (new Mike Myers stuff)?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
08 May 2022, 5:45pm
Hello,

Has anyone watched The Pentaverate (new Mike Myers stuff)?
This gives me pause.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

As I near 40 I've been obsessed with UK/AUS detective and courtroom dramas, which confirms my slide into old age. Some favorites:

Morse
Cracker
Rebus
Rumpole of the Bailey
Kavanagh QC
Poirot
Jonathan Creek (was better when Caroline Quentin was in it)
Rake (i'm not sure about this one yet, the main character seems improbable but it's kind of entertaining after a joint at 10pm)
Luther (this character was also improbable but I have a crush on Ruth Wilson and she's quite effective in this show)
Maigret (the Rowan Atkinson version, he's quite good in dramas)
Wallander (this was pretty depressing but I love Kenneth Branagh more than almost anyone else)
Death in Paradise was ok until the soundtrack stopped being as good

Just watched Agatha Christie's Why Didn't They Ask Evans? on Britbox, written and directed by Hugh Laurie. It was pretty good, although I'm at the mercy of not having read it, so I'm not sure how good of an adaptation it actually is. But still, Hugh Laurie. Emma Thompson is also briefly in it, so that was a mega bonus since I plan to marry her.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc