Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
10 May 2022, 3:44pm
As I near 40 I've been obsessed with UK/AUS detective and courtroom dramas, which confirms my slide into old age. Some favorites:

Morse
Cracker
Rebus
Rumpole of the Bailey
Kavanagh QC
Poirot
Jonathan Creek (was better when Caroline Quentin was in it)
Rake (i'm not sure about this one yet, the main character seems improbable but it's kind of entertaining after a joint at 10pm)
Luther (this character was also improbable but I have a crush on Ruth Wilson and she's quite effective in this show)
Maigret (the Rowan Atkinson version, he's quite good in dramas)
Wallander (this was pretty depressing but I love Kenneth Branagh more than almost anyone else)
Death in Paradise was ok until the soundtrack stopped being as good

Just watched Agatha Christie's Why Didn't They Ask Evans? on Britbox, written and directed by Hugh Laurie. It was pretty good, although I'm at the mercy of not having read it, so I'm not sure how good of an adaptation it actually is. But still, Hugh Laurie. Emma Thompson is also briefly in it, so that was a mega bonus since I plan to marry her.
I didn't see that version of Evans. I liked the other one I saw. I had Acorn and binged all of the Marple movies. Do you like Britbox? Is it good for anything other than mysteries?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
As I near 40 I've been obsessed with UK/AUS detective and courtroom dramas, which confirms my slide into old age. Some favorites:

Morse
Cracker
Rebus
Rumpole of the Bailey
Kavanagh QC
Poirot
Rake (i'm not sure about this one yet, the main character seems improbable but it's kind of entertaining after a joint at 10pm)
Luther (this character was also improbable but I have a crush on Ruth Wilson and she's quite effective in this show)
Wallander (this was pretty depressing but I love Kenneth Branagh more than almost anyone else)

Just watched Agatha Christie's Why Didn't They Ask Evans? on Britbox, written and directed by Hugh Laurie. It was pretty good, although I'm at the mercy of not having read it, so I'm not sure how good of an adaptation it actually is. But still, Hugh Laurie. Emma Thompson is also briefly in it, so that was a mega bonus since I plan to marry her.
Slide? Sounds more like a head first dive off a cliff.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:

Morse
Cracker
Rebus
Rumpole of the Bailey
Kavanagh QC
Poirot

Had a few years when I was obsessed with Scandi drama and Wallander was one of my favourites. Took a while to get used to Branagh in that role but all in all, i thought he did a pretty good job. Didn't realise until recently that there is a Young Wallander in existence too so will get round to having a look at that some day soon.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Even tho she has a fish mouth?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
10 May 2022, 3:49pm
Kory wrote:

Morse
Cracker
Rebus
Rumpole of the Bailey
Kavanagh QC
Poirot

I didn't see that version of Evans. I liked the other one I saw. I had Acorn and binged all of the Marple movies. Do you like Britbox? Is it good for anything other than mysteries?
Yeah, I like it a lot, I probably use it more than any other streamer. It has a lot more of the classic BBC and ITV comedies than Acorn seems to, just based on a run through their website: Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, Only Fools, A Bit of Fry & Laurie, etc. Some good period dramas and stuff too, if you're into that kind of thing. I think they just advertise their mysteries because they happen to have the largest Christie collection or something like that.

edit: I think you can look at their library if you don't have an account: https://www.britbox.com/us/
Last edited by Kory on 10 May 2022, 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2022, 4:27pm
Kory wrote:
BECAUSE she has a fish mouth.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
10 May 2022, 3:50pm
Kory wrote:

Morse
Cracker
Rebus
Rumpole of the Bailey
Kavanagh QC
Poirot

Slide? Sounds more like a head first dive off a cliff.
It's been taking place over a few years. More like a stumble.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

I might get britbox. There are some good shows and movies on there.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I cant express how angry I am that there is a downton abbey movie coming out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 May 2022, 7:01pm
The Boss still watches that show—she sincerely loves it—and so I saw the ad for it and I genuinely felt rage over that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2022, 7:06pm
revbob wrote:
The Boss still watches that show—she sincerely loves it—and so I saw the ad for it and I genuinely felt rage over that.
Im angrier for you than you can ever be.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
This hurts my feelings.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
10 May 2022, 7:12pm
revbob wrote:
This hurts my feelings.
Love you Mimi but this shit cant stand!

Unless the movie end with a servant revolt beheading those fuckers and setting fire to the place I can't accept it.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
10 May 2022, 7:16pm
Mimi wrote:
10 May 2022, 7:12pm
revbob wrote:
This hurts my feelings.
Love you Mimi but this shit cant stand!

Unless the movie end with a servant revolt beheading those fuckers and setting fire to the place I can't accept it.
You can have my overwrought period drama when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 May 2022, 6:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2022, 4:27pm
Kory wrote:
BECAUSE she has a fish mouth.