Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 3:27pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 3:20pm
I wasn't dreaming up Jennifer from the ether anyway! As much as I love skimming over the old shows, a part of me bristles at what my younger self might have found palatable. Alf is another show I remember fondly from my student days, but I wouldn't have great confidence in its ability to stand the test of time.
Oh god, yeah, seeing old shows I watched now in syndication is regularly an exercise in you-can't-go-home-again. Sometimes I can just say I was a dumb kid, but even at that I wince.
I tried watching old MASH once recently and that wasn't working either. I wonder how Get Smart would hold up. Let's face it much of the shit just want funny.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I wasn't dreaming up Jennifer from the ether anyway! As much as I love skimming over the old shows, a part of me bristles at what my younger self might have found palatable. Alf is another show I remember fondly from my student days, but I wouldn't have great confidence in its ability to stand the test of time.
Oh god, yeah, seeing old shows I watched now in syndication is regularly an exercise in you-can't-go-home-again. Sometimes I can just say I was a dumb kid, but even at that I wince.
There was this old limey show about a geezer, Welsh I think, called Selwyn Froggat who used to go around giving the thumbs up and saying "Magic!" all the time and, for some unfathomable reason, I was obsessed with this show. On the credit side, I was equally obsessed with Sgt Bilko and delighted to report I love this show as much now as I did then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 3:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I tried watching old MASH once recently and that wasn't working either. I wonder how Get Smart would hold up. Let's face it much of the shit just want funny.
I'm still good with MASH—I've even warmed considerably to the later preachy episodes. That same channel that has Family Ties has Get Smart. I watched one of those a couple weeks ago and, nope, it all came off as extremely forced.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
There was this old limey show about a geezer, Welsh I think, called Selwyn Froggat who used to go around giving the thumbs up and saying "Magic!" all the time and, for some unfathomable reason, I was obsessed with this show. On the credit side, I was equally obsessed with Sgt Bilko and delighted to report I love this show as much now as I did then.
I don't believe I've ever seen Sgt. Bilko. It's never been on any channel we got.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I'm still good with MASH—I've even warmed considerably to the later preachy episodes. That same channel that has Family Ties has Get Smart. I watched one of those a couple weeks ago and, nope, it all came off as extremely forced.
MASH always went under the category of shows I never considered particularly funny but enjoyed nonetheless. Dad's Army the same. Not sure what I'd make of it now, though.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 3:52pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I don't believe I've ever seen Sgt. Bilko. It's never been on any channel we got.
It's very high up on my list of favourite comedy shows, top 10 minimum, but nostalgia might be a significant factor in that.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I love early MASH. After Frank Burns left, it jumped the shark.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 4:10pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I love early MASH. After Frank Burns left, it jumped the shark.
It just became a different beast after Henry/Trapper and specially Frank. When I rewatched a few years back, I was surprised by how much I liked how they wrote stories around Charles that humanized him. There was one where he narrowly escaped death and became obsessed with what the dying experience. There was such a desperation to understand his own mortality. But if you want those early seasons, when the comedy took precedence, the series was lame. I remember Mad Magazine snarking that MASH stopped wanting to win Emmys and instead wanted Nobel Peace Prizes.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
[
This saddens me a great deal.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I started watching Only Murders in the Building with Steve Martin and Martin Short. It does a nice job of sending up the obsession with true crime podcasts and if you like the two of them, you will like this show. There is a great arc with Sting playing himself aka an asshole who hates dogs.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:30am
I started watching Only Murders in the Building with Steve Martin and Martin Short. It does a nice job of sending up the obsession with true crime podcasts and if you like the two of them, you will like this show. There is a great arc with Sting playing himself aka an asshole who hates dogs.
What if you love the Canadian and often want to punch the wild and crazy guy?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:35am
JennyB wrote:
Wild and Crazy Guy is actually rather reserved in this role, but the Canadian is his usual self. So it might work! It's on Hulu.

ETA: Here's a write-up: https://www.avclub.com/hulu-s-only-murd ... 1847535991
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wild and Crazy Guy is actually rather reserved in this role, but the Canadian is his usual self. So it might work! It's on Hulu.

If it's shown on a Canadian channel, I might give it a shot.

Apropos of nothing, Selena Gomez has an almost perfect circle for a head.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:52am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

She's adorable. I really knew nothing about her besides the fact that she was a Disney star, but she is holding her own in this.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 11:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:52am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

She's adorable. I really knew nothing about her besides the fact that she was a Disney star, but she is holding her own in this.
Yeah pleasantly surprised. I almost didn't watch because of her. She dated that other awful Canadian which is enough for me to write off someone completely.

Also is Sting acting or just being himself, I cant tell.