Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 4:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 8:39am
Cleese fires back: https://www.avclub.com/fawlty-towers-re ... 1850097031

That it's going to be set in the Caribbean is suggestive of some very awful temptations for expressing thuh freedums.
Can't help but think young Cleese would be savagely satirizing old Cleese.
I often think that about so many people who were inspiring iconoclasts when young (Lydon is a big one there).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Finished Yellowjackets. Extremely high recommendation to any fans of the folk-horror genre (ahem, Maj). Only real annoyance is that the entire political campaign plotline had me pulling at my hair. THATS NOT HOW YOU RUN A STATE SENATE CAMPAIGN PEOPLE. I recognize that the way it played out is probably a plot point in itself (being vague to avoid spoilers), but, still.

Excited to see how fucked up things get in season two.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I apologize if someone has already mentioned this and I didn't go back far enough in the thread ... ;) , but The Last of Us is fantastic. I was tepid towards it for several weeks: seriously, another end of the world zombie series? We were convinced to give it a try earlier this week and promptly binged all 5 episodes. It's very well done, very moving. It's also a rough watch. Pedro Pascal is fantastic. The story (so far) is harrowing, moving, and profound, with just enough humor to keep it from getting too dark. Can't wait for episode 6 to drop on Sunday.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 9:18pm
I apologize if someone has already mentioned this and I didn't go back far enough in the thread ... ;) , but The Last of Us is fantastic. I was tepid towards it for several weeks: seriously, another end of the world zombie series? We were convinced to give it a try earlier this week and promptly binged all 5 episodes. It's very well done, very moving. It's also a rough watch. Pedro Pascal is fantastic. The story (so far) is harrowing, moving, and profound, with just enough humor to keep it from getting too dark. Can't wait for episode 6 to drop on Sunday.
Agreed.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 7:12pm
Finished Yellowjackets. Extremely high recommendation to any fans of the folk-horror genre (ahem, Maj). Only real annoyance is that the entire political campaign plotline had me pulling at my hair. THATS NOT HOW YOU RUN A STATE SENATE CAMPAIGN PEOPLE. I recognize that the way it played out is probably a plot point in itself (being vague to avoid spoilers), but, still.

Excited to see how fucked up things get in season two.
I refrained from addressing this when you first mentioned it to avoid even approaching spoilerage, but are you still dubious that the plot could carry out over 5 seasons now that you've seen how this one ends?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 3:46pm
I refrained from addressing this when you first mentioned it to avoid even approaching spoilerage, but are you still dubious that the plot could carry out over 5 seasons now that you've seen how this one ends?
I'm still a little skeptical, more just generically that a lot of television has a hard time not developing a sort of inertia as time goes on, but much more optimistic now. Its commitment to character reminds me a lot of The Americans, which is high praise since I think that show is probably the best tv show of the "prestige" era by a considerable margin.

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Watched E1 of The Gold on the beeb about the Brinks robbery and looks like a stayer. Always a bit of a sucker for a good heist or crime caper so this was always right in my wheelhouse.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 4:03pm
Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 3:46pm
I'm still a little skeptical, more just generically that a lot of television has a hard time not developing a sort of inertia as time goes on, but much more optimistic now. Its commitment to character reminds me a lot of The Americans, which is high praise since I think that show is probably the best tv show of the "prestige" era by a considerable margin.
Plus it has the best theme song of all time. So good. I'm bummed that they caved to pressure and made the extended version because it's perfect as-is.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 5:13pm
Plus it has the best theme song of all time. So good. I'm bummed that they caved to pressure and made the extended version because it's perfect as-is.
Oh yeah, the theme song rules (the whole opening sequence is great, really). I adore Shudder to Think (I wish I was cool enough to say I was familiar with That Dog before a few weeks ago...) so I was delighted when the opening credit sequence popped up in like episode three. The music selection, overall, is really perfect.

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:51am
Started watching Homeland a couple of weeks ago and after being initially charmed by the sheer implausibility of the plotlines, it's getting so bonkers that I'm beginning to laugh at some of the scenes which I doubt was the intention of the producers. Will carry on for a bit more but not sure how much more bonkers I can take with this.
I'm deep into season 2 and quite enjoying it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 9:15pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:51am
Started watching Homeland a couple of weeks ago and after being initially charmed by the sheer implausibility of the plotlines, it's getting so bonkers that I'm beginning to laugh at some of the scenes which I doubt was the intention of the producers. Will carry on for a bit more but not sure how much more bonkers I can take with this.
I'm deep into season 2 and quite enjoying it.
Yeah it keeps going.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Just started watching Lost in Space. lulz It brings back a lot of memories, like how much anxiety Dr. Smith gave me, but for 1965 I bet it was something special. My crush on Dr. West is renewed. As a kid, though, I didn't notice how incompetent this whole crew of "sceintists" were. Good fun.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 7:11pm
Just started watching Lost in Space. lulz It brings back a lot of memories, like how much anxiety Dr. Smith gave me, but for 1965 I bet it was something special. My crush on Dr. West is renewed. As a kid, though, I didn't notice how incompetent this whole crew of "sceintists" were. Good fun.
I've never actually seen an episode, but my department head in Greensboro was a cousin of the guy who played Dr. Smith.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 7:20pm
Mimi wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 7:11pm
I've never actually seen an episode, but my department head in Greensboro was a cousin of the guy who played Dr. Smith.
It's cheesy fun. If you have Hulu, give it a go. Skip the pilot, though, as it just repeats in the second episode.