Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by revbob »

Brit show Misfits. Im enjoying it.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Missus and I finished up St. Elsewhere a month or so back - we both loved it. It's funny: the ending would have barely registered with the missus (and probably me) if I hadn't known to really key in on the final moments. it's such a non sequitur, it's sort of a shame it overshadows how great the show really was from first to last episode. We loved almost every moment of it. Highest of recommendations for anyone who hasn't seen it or only seen it long ago. The way television was meant to be.

We've started a Northern Exposure watch now. An obsession of mine in college, but this is the first time she's ever seen it. A few episodes in and she's hooked (and I appreciate even better how some of these character mechanics have evolved from St. Elsewhere). Really looking forward to this rewatch. I'm also DELIGHTED to have rips of the episodes with all the original music for the first time. I think it'll genuinely enhance the experience (iirc, the first two seasons released on DVD had the original music but after that it was mostly muzak)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 12:32am
Missus and I finished up St. Elsewhere a month or so back - we both loved it. It's funny: the ending would have barely registered with the missus (and probably me) if I hadn't known to really key in on the final moments. it's such a non sequitur, it's sort of a shame it overshadows how great the show really was from first to last episode. We loved almost every moment of it. Highest of recommendations for anyone who hasn't seen it or only seen it long ago. The way television was meant to be.
It really was superb all the way thru. Yet mostly forgotten in terms of syndication and all that. It was like some great epic novel, where the quality of the characters sensibly drives whatever situation they're put in—it never feels forced. The blueprint for prestige television decades before the idea came to pass.
We've started a Northern Exposure watch now. An obsession of mine in college, but this is the first time she's ever seen it. A few episodes in and she's hooked (and I appreciate even better how some of these character mechanics have evolved from St. Elsewhere). Really looking forward to this rewatch. I'm also DELIGHTED to have rips of the episodes with all the original music for the first time. I think it'll genuinely enhance the experience (iirc, the first two seasons released on DVD had the original music but after that it was mostly muzak)
I watched the first few seasons when it was on because of the St. Elsewhere tie, but it never quite grabbed me. The characters leaned too much to the purposefully strange and exotic to strike a chord (and I fucking hated the hipster philosopher deejay). I was amused, tho, that the dipshit waitress at the bar is supposed to be from Saskatoon.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Would anyone be surprised if I said I never saw an episode of St Elsewhere? Partly a case of growing up in a house with one TV. If my dad didn't want to watch it then we didn't watch it. Didn't have a tv for a few years and by the time the show was ending Id never watched it so it was sort of why start now. I'll have to give it a go.

I enjoyed Northern Exposure for a bit but then it seemed like they were forcing the whackiness of the characters more and more. Funny though I was watching Better Call Saul last night and the guy who played the former astronaut was in an episode and whoa had he obviously aged, because shit that was like 25 years ago.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 7:15am
Would anyone be surprised if I said I never saw an episode of St Elsewhere? Partly a case of growing up in a house with one TV. If my dad didn't want to watch it then we didn't watch it. Didn't have a tv for a few years and by the time the show was ending Id never watched it so it was sort of why start now. I'll have to give it a go.
I suspect you'd like it. The first season is a bit uneven, figuring things out, some flat characters that get axed, but by the second season it's rolling quite well.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Russian Doll season 2. Natasha Lyonne is fantastic.

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Just caught up on Outer Range on Prime. Wasn’t expecting it to have sci-fi elements (thought it was going to be a family drama set on a ranch), but thought it was interesting/decent. Definitely confused but excited to see where it goes.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 8:57pm
what, when did that start? I turned my NF off like 6 or 8 months ago, probably time to turn back on.

*edit* I don't even remember s1 besides loving it. And the Harry Nillsen song.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 9:25pm
revbob wrote:
what, when did that start? I turned my NF off like 6 or 8 months ago, probably time to turn back on.

*edit* I don't even remember s1 besides loving it. And the Harry Nillsen song.
Just released last week I think.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

amj241 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 9:09pm
Just caught up on Outer Range on Prime. Wasn’t expecting it to have sci-fi elements (thought it was going to be a family drama set on a ranch), but thought it was interesting/decent. Definitely confused but excited to see where it goes.
Yeah, I'm watching this one too. Definitely intrigued enough to keep on. The western/sci-fi matchup is definitely my aesthetic
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 10:10pm
amj241 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 9:09pm
Yeah, I'm watching this one too. Definitely intrigued enough to keep on. The western/sci-fi matchup is definitely my aesthetic
Yeah this is definitely a good watch.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
I loved Season 1, but, like Tep, I don't remember much. I am going to start season 2 today - I hope there's a recap.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 10:22am
revbob wrote:
I loved Season 1, but, like Tep, I don't remember much. I am going to start season 2 today - I hope there's a recap.
I don't remember much either, just know I enjoyed it. My wife seems to remember all of it

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

TCM just had a night of 50s sci-fi flicks. Golly, Forbidden Planet is freakin' awesome. I'm assuming this was the inspiration for Lost in Space.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 8:58pm
TCM just had a night of 50s sci-fi flicks. Golly, Forbidden Planet is freakin' awesome. I'm assuming this was the inspiration for Lost in Space.
Beautiful looking film. The colours just pop at you.