Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2023, 11:41am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2023, 10:02am
Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2023, 6:12pm

Death of Stalin was outstanding. In need of a rewatch.
A friend of mine saw it in a theatre—maybe a dozen people—and an old lady kept shushing him, telling him to show some respect. He was torn between hilarity, irritation, and confusion.
Oh man! Does remind me of time i went to see the Rocky Horror Show in the mid 80s and when all these people, wearing weird outfits, started laughing and yelling out I was like, hey stfu, we're trying to watch a movie here. I really had no idea what the fuck was going on.
It was just a jump to the left...
Ssshhhh...trying to watch a movie here!
Well I hope it's a Science Fiction - Double Feature.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2023, 1:59pm
The Boss and I watched the first episode of White House Plumbers last night, a deliberately farcical interpretation of Nixon goons Hunt and Liddy. Because the source material is already laced with absurdity and incompetence, the leap to farce doesn't come off as forced. Last year's Gaslit already made Liddy out as comically insane—The Boss knows only the very rough basics of Watergate, so she was stunned and kept asking me if such and such was true; inevitably, I'd say, yeah, not a whole of exaggeration here—but this goes a step or two further.
Two episode in, this is very entertaining. There's a very Ianucci quality to it all.
Somehow misread this as Iannucci actually being involved but no matter, having watched E1 I can definitely appreciate the reference. I found Woody Harrelson's character a bit strange at first but once you adjust to the mood of the show, you realise he's just about near perfect. There's a very engaging, almost slapstick, quality to it, the contrast between the characters' utter arrogance and their subsequent, spectacular bungling. I suspect there's a lot more to come of this and bring it on. It's a keeper.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 May 2023, 7:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2023, 1:59pm
The Boss and I watched the first episode of White House Plumbers last night, a deliberately farcical interpretation of Nixon goons Hunt and Liddy. Because the source material is already laced with absurdity and incompetence, the leap to farce doesn't come off as forced. Last year's Gaslit already made Liddy out as comically insane—The Boss knows only the very rough basics of Watergate, so she was stunned and kept asking me if such and such was true; inevitably, I'd say, yeah, not a whole of exaggeration here—but this goes a step or two further.
Two episode in, this is very entertaining. There's a very Ianucci quality to it all.
Somehow misread this as Iannucci actually being involved but no matter, having watched E1 I can definitely appreciate the reference. I found Woody Harrelson's character a bit strange at first but once you adjust to the mood of the show, you realise he's just about near perfect. There's a very engaging, almost slapstick, quality to it, the contrast between the characters' utter arrogance and their subsequent, spectacular bungling. I suspect there's a lot more to come of this and bring it on. It's a keeper.
There is a sort-of Ianucci connection in that WHP is a David Mandel production, and Mandel took over from Ianucci on Veep.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 4:59pm
It seems like American Idol, but national instead of individual.

There's a scene in an episode of You're the Worst, where Jimmy's white-trash family come to visit him in L.A. and are watching Eurovision, his one sister complaining, "The bleedin' Belgians are cheating again!"
It's 1000% campier than Idol though. That's what makes it great/horrible instead of horrible/horrible.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
15 May 2023, 10:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 4:59pm
It seems like American Idol, but national instead of individual.

There's a scene in an episode of You're the Worst, where Jimmy's white-trash family come to visit him in L.A. and are watching Eurovision, his one sister complaining, "The bleedin' Belgians are cheating again!"
It's 1000% campier than Idol though. That's what makes it great/horrible instead of horrible/horrible.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've been binge watching Halt and Catch Fire. It's a really good show, though I think it flew somewhat under the radar. Think Mad Men set in the rough and tumble days of tech startup in the early '80s. It even features its own Don Draper-esque figure: morally ambiguous, but fascinating. The history itself is kind of cool, seeing how technology changed our world from the idea of just owning your own PC to then connecting with a greater world. It's well acted, well written, well filmed. It features the always awesome Toby Huss, as well.

Also, the episode I just watched was titled "Working for the Clampdown" and while it did not feature that song, it did use Police on My Back.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 May 2023, 1:29pm
I've been binge watching Halt and Catch Fire. It's a really good show, though I think it flew somewhat under the radar. Think Mad Men set in the rough and tumble days of tech startup in the early '80s. It even features its own Don Draper-esque figure: morally ambiguous, but fascinating. The history itself is kind of cool, seeing how technology changed our world from the idea of just owning your own PC to then connecting with a greater world. It's well acted, well written, well filmed. It features the always awesome Toby Huss, as well.

Also, the episode I just watched was titled "Working for the Clampdown" and while it did not feature that song, it did use Police on My Back.
We watched it once Mad Men concluded but it never quite worked for us. Part of it was that the set-up was superficially aping Mad Men—genius with a mysterious past, selling a product—but more so, we could never quite figure out the point of the story. People did stuff and it involved computers in the 80s, but what did it all amount to? I recall I liked the final season a bit more, tho why I don't know.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 5:05pm
WestwayKid wrote:

We watched it once Mad Men concluded but it never quite worked for us. Part of it was that the set-up was superficially aping Mad Men—genius with a mysterious past, selling a product—but more so, we could never quite figure out the point of the story. People did stuff and it involved computers in the 80s, but what did it all amount to? I recall I liked the final season a bit more, tho why I don't know.
In retrospect the point is that they created the platform from which our godhead desantis will ascend, enabled by his computer nerd enablers musk and sacks
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 May 2023, 5:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 5:05pm
WestwayKid wrote:

In retrospect the point is that they created the platform from which our godhead desantis will ascend, enabled by his computer nerd enablers musk and sacks
Serious long-game subtext!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 12:38pm
It's also responsible for the only good band name featuring the word "bear."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Re-watching V: The Final Battle, there's a nasty irony that in a story premised on defeating fascism, the solution is genocide (and one arrived at without any kind of doubt or debate). Can't beat Nazis without becoming Nazis!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 8:27am
Re-watching V: The Final Battle, there's a nasty irony that in a story premised on defeating fascism, the solution is genocide (and one arrived at without any kind of doubt or debate). Can't beat Nazis without becoming Nazis!
Too bad there aren't any parallels to be drawn to current international affairs with that one.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 8:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 8:27am
Too bad there aren't any parallels to be drawn to current international affairs with that one.
Well, that’s sci-fi, right? It’s all crazy stuff that can only exist in the imagination!