Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 4:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 4:16pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 1:58pm
Just finished Veep over the weekend. That show is a hell of a journey, I really liked it. Plus I now have a crush on Anna Chlumsky.
The Boss thinks she's kinda ugly, but I found her attractive.

Watched the premiere of Ianucci's new series, Avenue 5, on Sunday. Can't judge it too harshly just one episode in, but it was a bit blah. It's basically Gilligan's Island or Voyager as set-up.
I'm hoping to get my HBO hooked up tonight to get a viewing. I read some other lukewarm headlines about it but I trust Ianucci. I've been watching The Thick of It, the series that Veep was adapted from, and the first episode of that (and Veep, for that matter) wasn't too great either. I think with his stuff you need a couple of episodes to slide into the characters and get a feeling for the pacing and so on.
Yeah, I'm not writing it off by any means. Few series ever have kick-ass first episodes.
Futurama is an exception.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Just finished Veep over the weekend. That show is a hell of a journey, I really liked it. Plus I now have a crush on Anna Chlumsky.

Watched the premiere of Ianucci's new series, Avenue 5, on Sunday. Can't judge it too harshly just one episode in, but it was a bit blah. It's basically Gilligan's Island or Voyager as set-up.
I'm hoping to get my HBO hooked up tonight to get a viewing. I read some other lukewarm headlines about it but I trust Ianucci. I've been watching The Thick of It, the series that Veep was adapted from, and the first episode of that (and Veep, for that matter) wasn't too great either. I think with his stuff you need a couple of episodes to slide into the characters and get a feeling for the pacing and so on.
I would trust Ianucci implicitly too. Thick of It and Veep are both outstanding, the latter shades it on the basis it has a much more rounded and developed plot, less reliant on dialogue which is, all the same, sharp as a tack.

Fair point on first episodes. Same with Seinfeld and whole first series of Black adder.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I would trust Ianucci implicitly too. Thick of It and Veep are both outstanding, the latter shades it on the basis it has a much more rounded and developed plot, less reliant on dialogue which is, all the same, sharp as a tack.

Fair point on first episodes. Same with Seinfeld and whole first series of Black adder.
I like In the Loop because it's like a cross between Veep and Thick.

Man, that first series of Black Adder. Painful. Atkinson is a great actor, but a writer he is not. The whole thing is saved by Brian Blessed.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:17pm
Deep Space Nine had a pretty damned solid first episode (and the first season was better than any other ST's first season except the original). Archer and Venture Bros also started well right out of the gate.
Low Down Low wrote:
Oh lord, that first season of Black Adder is horrible. Amazing that it got a second shot to get it right.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:17pm
Deep Space Nine had a pretty damned solid first episode (and the first season was better than any other ST's first season except the original). Archer and Venture Bros also started well right out of the gate.
Low Down Low wrote:
Oh lord, that first season of Black Adder is horrible. Amazing that it got a second shot to get it right.
Everything is improved by bringing in Ben Elton.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:02pm
revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 3:41pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 3:21pm
revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 2:46pm
Kory wrote:
I keep forgetting this show. Been watching Penny Dreadful of late.
I always confuse that with Peaky Blinders.
Penny Dreadful is supernatural Brit TnA stuff
Is that different from the Showtime original series with all the monsters from about 5 years ago, with Timothy Dalton? I watched that.
Yeah that's the one. I always meant to give it a spin and finally did.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:45pm
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 2:46pm

I keep forgetting this show. Been watching Penny Dreadful of late.
Is that different from the Showtime original series with all the monsters from about 5 years ago, with Timothy Dalton? I watched that.
Yeah, I liked it a lot, where are you in the series?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:00pm
revbob wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 2:13am
Medical Police was a lot of fun and many of the other characters from Children's Hospital were on it too.
3 eps in, we love it
Yeah, if you like CH, you'll like MP. Needs more Rob Courdry but still great.

I also have been going thru NTSF:SD:SUV when I cant sleep.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:51pm

So are we! We've watched them almost every day for the past week, ready to revisit season 3. it's on Hulu
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:50pm
revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:45pm
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah, I liked it a lot, where are you in the series?
Just started S2. Im really into the Ms Ives character that dont fuck with me stare she has is great

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
Medical Police was a lot of fun and many of the other characters from Children's Hospital were on it too.
3 eps in, we love it

What was the one with Chris Elliott, did you ever see that? He plays a Chuck Norris-esque cop or something.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:56pm
revbob wrote:

So are we! We've watched them almost every day for the past week, ready to revisit season 3. it's on Hulu
Gonna do Eagleheart after that.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Man, that first series of Black Adder. Painful. Atkinson is a great actor, but a writer he is not. The whole thing is saved by Brian Blessed.
In the loop was great. I think it also showed that tucker, while vital, didnt have to dominate the whole show. And i love Tom Hollander in it, though he'll always be The Fucker to me. I'd love for them to make some kind of sequel.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:58pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
3 eps in, we love it

What was the one with Chris Elliott, did you ever see that? He plays a Chuck Norris-esque cop or something.
Yes!!+ Eagleheart

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 6:00pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In the loop was great. I think it also showed that tucker, while vital, didnt have to dominate the whole show. And i love Tom Hollander in it, though he'll always be The Fucker to me. I'd love for them to make some kind of sequel.
Hollander is excellent. I was first introduced to him on the Night Manager and I'll watch anything with him now.

I'd dig an In the Loop sequel but it would have to include Chlumsky. I'm smitten by now.