Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 9:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 7:29pm
Kory wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 6:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 6:43pm
3rd rock asides:
• French Stewart looks enough like Jello Biafra to have the inside track in a movie.
• Joseph Gordon Levitt seems like a genuinely decent guy, like a non-Hollywood-shithead kind of person.
• I can't find a clip on it online, but on the next-to-last season of Better Things, Matthew Broderick does an amazing one-word John Lithgow impression (the word: "Butterfly"). If you haven't seen it, you should watch Better Things anyway.
I'm a JGL fan in general, I've seen most movies that he's been in. He really seems to choose stuff that interests him rather than just going for a paycheck.
I can't say I've seen a lot he's been in. But the way he carries himself suggests someone really comfortable within his own skin.
I saw him on some ensemble talk show where he was very critical of a person who spoke highly of Kid Rock. So there's that.
We just need to know where he stands on “Hitsville UK” and then consider him for membership.

(Someone would laud Kid Rock? Seriously?)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 9:33pm
revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 9:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 7:29pm
Kory wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 6:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
3rd rock asides:
• French Stewart looks enough like Jello Biafra to have the inside track in a movie.
• Joseph Gordon Levitt seems like a genuinely decent guy, like a non-Hollywood-shithead kind of person.
• I can't find a clip on it online, but on the next-to-last season of Better Things, Matthew Broderick does an amazing one-word John Lithgow impression (the word: "Butterfly"). If you haven't seen it, you should watch Better Things anyway.
I'm a JGL fan in general, I've seen most movies that he's been in. He really seems to choose stuff that interests him rather than just going for a paycheck.
I can't say I've seen a lot he's been in. But the way he carries himself suggests someone really comfortable within his own skin.
I saw him on some ensemble talk show where he was very critical of a person who spoke highly of Kid Rock. So there's that.
We just need to know where he stands on “Hitsville UK” and then consider him for membership.

(Someone would laud Kid Rock? Seriously?)
You're forgetting how awful people are. I mean I want to believe people are good but so much evidence to the contrary.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Speaking of old sitcoms....Everbody Loves Raymond still pops up on my screen quite regularly. I definitely don't love Raymond. I never loved Raymond.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 6:28am
Speaking of old sitcoms....Everbody Loves Raymond still pops up on my screen quite regularly. I definitely don't love Raymond. I never loved Raymond.
That's another one I never saw a single episode. The commercials did a good job of letting me know that I was not its auudience.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 6:42am
Low Down Low wrote:
That's another one I never saw a single episode. The commercials did a good job of letting me know that I was not its auudience.
Smart thinking. Kinda echoes the comments about 3rd Rock above as regards overacting and general hamming it up. I suppose in a way you could say the same thing about, say, Seinfeld, only that had the lines, the gags, the plots, the characters, basically all the sitcommy chops you require to get away with it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 6:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Smart thinking. Kinda echoes the comments about 3rd Rock above as regards overacting and general hamming it up. I suppose in a way you could say the same thing about, say, Seinfeld, only that had the lines, the gags, the plots, the characters, basically all the sitcommy chops you require to get away with it.
Seinfeld's charm was in how it got its audience to laugh at itself because it was basically a comedy of manners, and all the petty and stupid things we all obsess about but might not want to admit. It worked from the same places as 70s Carlin, with his set ups of "Y'ver …?"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 6:57am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Seinfeld's charm was in how it got its audience to laugh at itself because it was basically a comedy of manners, and all the petty and stupid things we all obsess about but might not want to admit. It worked from the same places as 70s Carlin, with his set ups of "Y'ver …?"
The "excruciating minutiae of everyday life", as Elaine memorably puts it. Yeah, i think that's the core of it but also, on a more basic level, i think a common denominator of most comedies I love is they are so strong on character. Even the minor characters are memorable and, sometimes, even steal the show. Seinfeld, Curb, Parks & Rec, Scrubs all fit that bill for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 7:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
The "excruciating minutiae of everyday life", as Elaine memorably puts it. Yeah, i think that's the core of it but also, on a more basic level, i think a common denominator of most comedies I love is they are so strong on character. Even the minor characters are memorable and, sometimes, even steal the show. Seinfeld, Curb, Parks & Rec, Scrubs all fit that bill for me.
Seinfeld, like Roseanne, was also an example where the supporting cast was vastly superior to the star in acting chops and appeal.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 7:22am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Seinfeld, like Roseanne, was also an example where the supporting cast was vastly superior to the star in acting chops and appeal.
True, though i think Jerry does a brilliant job as a straight man (relatively talking), much like Alex Rieger in Taxi.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 7:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

True, though i think Jerry does a brilliant job as a straight man (relatively talking), much like Alex Rieger in Taxi.
Jerry Seinfeld always had/has a smirk to him, that conveyed to me that he was somehow above it all. Maybe that's part of the character, but I found it a bit off-putting (not majorly, of course). You're dead-on about Alex Rieger—just a schlub who knows himself and can be more or less immune to the weirdos around him.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 8:31am
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 7:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Jerry Seinfeld always had/has a smirk to him, that conveyed to me that he was somehow above it all. Maybe that's part of the character, but I found it a bit off-putting (not majorly, of course). You're dead-on about Alex Rieger—just a schlub who knows himself and can be more or less immune to the weirdos around him.
There is a certain smugness about Jerry that puts a lot of people off. Dunno why but for some reason, it never bothered me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Low Down Low wrote:
I thought the name of the show was sort of presumptuous. The promo clips never looked funny.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 10:10am
Low Down Low wrote:
I thought the name of the show was sort of presumptuous. The promo clips never looked funny.
I thought it was crap but i know a few people who liked it and always had impression it made Ray Romano some kind of comedy superstar which never failed to bamboozle me.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

a seemingly endless list of fake movies or shows that were mentioned in real movies and shows

https://nestflix.fun/?fbclid=IwAR15cnAw ... QsB5OT83U8
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
3rd rock asides:
I agree with this post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy