Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Anyone watch the 4-episode Punk documentary from earlier this year? Watched it over the past couple days. I thought it was a mixed bag overall, tho part of that might be the degree to which some aspects have been discussed (to death). So the first two episodes—on proto-punk (MC5, Stooges) and early NY punk (CBGB's), and the initial UK scene—was a bit dull, the second two—on US hardcore in the 80s, and grunge/riot grrrl/pop punk in the 90s and beyond—were more interesting. The latter two also were more willing to consider punk in a larger sense, as a cultural group, where the first two episodes stuck with the "stars."

There was one intriguing comment made that suggested online piracy kind of helped punk refind itself after Green Day, the Offspring et al selling millions of records and introducing the possibility of serious wealth into the genre. Piracy meant that, on the one hand, it was harder for bands to make a go of it, to make enough money to dedicate themselves to their art, but it also meant that those who stuck it out were committed, that they were in it out of love of what they were doing. Piracy undercut some of the profit motive that a lot of old timers saw as ruining the genre. Something I hadn't thought of, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'll be musing about it more, anyway.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Watched a documentary on BBC Scotland last night about Primal Scream, and their original Memphis recordings. Was interesting plus I am a fan of Noel Gallagher's sarcasm which featured in a few places, so giving the album a listen.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 3:16pm
Watched a documentary on BBC Scotland last night about Primal Scream, and their original Memphis recordings. Was interesting plus I am a fan of Noel Gallagher's sarcasm which featured in a few places, so giving the album a listen.
He is a funny guy, have you seen him tell the story of Oasis trip to Amsterdam and Liam running around on the ferry causing mayhem 😂

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 3:42pm
laxman wrote:
He is a funny guy, have you seen him tell the story of Oasis trip to Amsterdam and Liam running around on the ferry causing mayhem 😂
I think I have but a long time ago so don't remember the detail any more. He is definitely entertaining, even isf I haven't listened to any new music by him for a long time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 3:42pm
laxman wrote:
Isn't that where the Wibbling Rivalry cd comes from?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Canada got Adult Swim added to the cable options a while back, so every so often, in a grudging acknowledgement that maybe revbob is onto something, I've been watching Bob's Burgers. And it's definitely growing on me. I'm especially taken by the kids' banter.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 4:38pm
Canada got Adult Swim added to the cable options a while back, so every so often, in a grudging acknowledgement that maybe revbob is onto something, I've been watching Bob's Burgers. And it's definitely growing on me. I'm especially taken by the kids' banter.
I actually think it's one that benefits from just watching an episode or two at a time and letting the low key enjoyment of said banter and such slowly percolate.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:09am
Handmaids Tale series 3. Pretty underwhelming so far. They toned it down the more popular it has become however for me the brutal shock value was what gave the show its edge.
Ok so just watched Episode 7 and that ramped up a notch (like the gallows 😳).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
Handmaids Tale series 3. Pretty underwhelming so far. They toned it down the more popular it has become however for me the brutal shock value was what gave the show its edge.
The Boss watches it and, as far as I know, is still engrossed. The bits I saw of the first season were unsettling enough that I didn't want to watch it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
The Boss watches it and, as far as I know, is still engrossed. The bits I saw of the first season were unsettling enough that I didn't want to watch it.
This was how I felt.

And glad you're coming around to Bob's Burgers. I think its pretty great. Based on other shows you seem to like I would be very surprised if you didn't take to it. Some of the stuff Gene says is fucking hilarious.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
This was how I felt.

And glad you're coming around to Bob's Burgers. I think its pretty great. Based on other shows you seem to like I would be very surprised if you didn't take to it. Some of the stuff Gene says is fucking hilarious.
That's whom I've really enjoyed. Equal parts inane and insightful.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Unsettling is a good description it does make you feel very uncomfortable like watching a car crash.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've said before, the surprising thing about Bob's Burgers is that they've yet to slip on the quality even after nine years. And the characters haven't gotten broader yet either, something I thought inevitable in a long running show.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 3:18am
I've said before, the surprising thing about Bob's Burgers is that they've yet to slip on the quality even after nine years. And the characters haven't gotten broader yet either, something I thought inevitable in a long running show.
I believe that's now called "Flanderizing," or something like that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 12:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 3:18am
I believe that's now called "Flanderizing," or something like that.
No, I don't need any more words inventing, thank you.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/