Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 4:11pm
Mimi wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 2:37pm
Mary Tyler Moore Show. Was vaguely aware of it when I was a child. It's good, charming, innocent, and kinda funny. I love Rhoda.
A few years ago I was watching it regularly on some re-run sitcom channel. It's held up quite well, overall. I really appreciated Ted Knight more—a fantastic comedic actor. And the early version of the theme song has just enough melancholy at the beginning to make the ending soar.
Ted's character was the one I remembered most from the show. He's fab.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 4:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 4:11pm
Mimi wrote:
Mary Tyler Moore Show. Was vaguely aware of it when I was a child. It's good, charming, innocent, and kinda funny. I love Rhoda.
A few years ago I was watching it regularly on some re-run sitcom channel. It's held up quite well, overall. I really appreciated Ted Knight more—a fantastic comedic actor. And the early version of the theme song has just enough melancholy at the beginning to make the ending soar.
Ted's character was the one I remembered most from the show. He's fab.
The only one I didn't much care for is Murray. His jokes about Ted often came off to me as more mean-spirited than lampooning.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
Great show, I still watch it whenever I come across it while channel surfing.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

PBS is running a Carol Burnett Show episode. It has both a Eunice, Ed, and Mama sketch and a Mrs. Wiggins one. I still call the Boss Mrs. Wiggins when she does something clueless. While it wasn’t edgy comedy like SNL was in the early years, it’s still kinda impressive how dark mainstream comedy could go (the Eunice sketches, for example).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 8:39pm
PBS is running a Carol Burnett Show episode. It has both a Eunice, Ed, and Mama sketch and a Mrs. Wiggins one. I still call the Boss Mrs. Wiggins when she does something clueless. While it wasn’t edgy comedy like SNL was in the early years, it’s still kinda impressive how dark mainstream comedy could go (the Eunice sketches, for example).
Love CB show. Harvey and Tim losing their shit during the skits is worth the price of admission.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Ah, the Carol Burnett Show brings back memories…it totally reminds me of watching TV in the evenings in the 70s, around age 5, in our upstairs “den” at my parents’ house. Huge wooden console TV, shag carpet with various shades of brown, tacky green wallpaper…our old wooden couch with cushions also in various shades of brown, covered in brown and green afghans knitted by my grandmothers. Falling asleep listening to my crystal radio (that I had built myself from a kit when I was 5 – my first radio) tucked under my pillow. My Dad, almost 5 years out of the Army, still smoked Larks and drank Genny Cream Ale in those days. The Carol Burnett Show was in its last year – cancelled in 1978 just before my 6th birthday. By the early 80s we had moved the TV (a newer one) downstairs to a “family room”, and the upstairs “den” later became my parents’ bedroom.

I remember that shag carpet in the den like it was yesterday. My parents used to babysit a kid named Louie who lived next door. He’d crawl around the floor in diapers, and for the next day or two, we’d find little tiny “Louie turds” that had fallen out of his diaper, like deer or rabbit scat, hidden amongst the brown shag of the carpet. Haven’t seen Louie in about 45 years, since the family moved away shortly after, but if I ever bump into him I’ll be sure to mention that my main memory of him is finding his gross little turds in our shag carpet while watching the Carol Burnett Show.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

:lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 1:58am
I remember that shag carpet in the den like it was yesterday. My parents used to babysit a kid named Louie who lived next door. He’d crawl around the floor in diapers, and for the next day or two, we’d find little tiny “Louie turds” that had fallen out of his diaper, like deer or rabbit scat, hidden amongst the brown shag of the carpet. Haven’t seen Louie in about 45 years, since the family moved away shortly after, but if I ever bump into him I’ll be sure to mention that my main memory of him is finding his gross little turds in our shag carpet while watching the Carol Burnett Show.
That's worth hunting him down to remind him!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Nearly finished The Gold on bbc and have really enjoyed it. Never knew much about the Brinks Mat robbery and not sure how faithful this dramatisation sticks to the facts but even if it's 50% accurate, it's a fascinating story and will be seeking out a good doc or book to follow it up.

Also started watching Faking Hitler on All 4, German drama about the forged diaries controversy in the 80s. Read Robert Harris book on it a few years ago and seems decent passable entertainment.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 7:20am
Nearly finished The Gold on bbc and have really enjoyed it. Never knew much about the Brinks Mat robbery and not sure how faithful this dramatisation sticks to the facts but even if it's 50% accurate, it's a fascinating story and will be seeking out a good doc or book to follow it up.

I want to see that because Hugh Bonneville is in it.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Mimi wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 8:14am
Low Down Low wrote:

It's interesting because in these types of films, it tends to be a lot harder to steal the show when you're playing the straight up copper, but i think Bonneville does make a good fist of it. Didn't know a lot about him before this, tbh.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 9:44am
Mimi wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 8:14am
Low Down Low wrote:

It's interesting because in these types of films, it tends to be a lot harder to steal the show when you're playing the straight up copper, but i think Bonneville does make a good fist of it. Didn't know a lot about him before this, tbh.
Outside of Downton Abbey and maybe Paddington, he seems to fly under the radar.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My wife is watching an episode of SNL. Musical guest The 1975 or is it just 1975. Either way my wife asks me "what kind of music would you call this?" The first answer to come to mind is LAME. I smile but instead I ask "do you mean what style?"

Im learning.

Fuck me though thry are pure awful.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 2:25pm
My wife is watching an episode of SNL. Musical guest The 1975 or is it just 1975. Either way my wife asks me "what kind of music would you call this?" The first answer to come to mind is LAME. I smile but instead I ask "do you mean what style?"

Im learning.

I cannot see the appeal.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 2:25pm

Im learning.

Driving in the car with The Boss, she’s the driver so she gets to pick the radio station. It’s mostly that bland dance-y party music—think Black Eyed Peas. I can tell when she’s really into what’s playing and I’ll say, “So, you like this?” That’s about as far I can go with a critique. But it’s just a complete mystery how it’s appealing. Even if, like, black metal is total shit to me, I can at least understand the appeal.