Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
24 May 2019, 6:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2019, 4:39pm
You've provided Heston with a reliable ally. The joke is that I have no one here who even remotely shares my love of the band Swans (well, aside from Heston, but he pretends to loathe them, so that doesn't quite work).
Honest to God, that 3 hours (was it more? It felt like it) spent listening to them was one of the most wretched evenings of my life. I can't even begin to explain how they go against everything I love about music.
:lol: Yer a champ for making it thru, tho. Seriously, I don't judge negatively anyone who hates Swans. It either clicks or doesn't, and for the longest time I was only a casual listener until, I dunno, five years ago it just snapped into place for me.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2019, 6:17pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You've provided Heston with a reliable ally. The joke is that I have no one here who even remotely shares my love of the band Swans (well, aside from Heston, but he pretends to loathe them, so that doesn't quite work).
Honest to God, that 3 hours (was it more? It felt like it) spent listening to them was one of the most wretched evenings of my life. I can't even begin to explain how they go against everything I love about music.
:lol: Yer a champ for making it thru, tho. Seriously, I don't judge negatively anyone who hates Swans. It either clicks or doesn't, and for the longest time I was only a casual listener until, I dunno, five years ago it just snapped into place for me.
To be honest, I was enjoying how bad it was. I think I may have masochistic tendencies.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
24 May 2019, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2019, 6:17pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
To be honest, I was enjoying how bad it was. I think I may have masochistic tendencies.
That was my KISS Challenge experience. There's value in a hate-listen.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Bank holiday, bad back. This calls for a Carry On marathon. Up The Khyber, Dick and Cabby I hope to watch today. Probably a little optimistic as there'll be jobs to do no doubt.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I think I've seen this before—it seems familiar—but can't recall for sure. But this is totally batshit. A whole bunch of people make their case that Kubrick's The Shining is not about what you think it is, it's really about ________. And because they all work from the premise that Kubrick is such a genius that every little aspect of the film is intentional—there are no coincidences, there are no errors—then the "real story" is in the smallest details. So, so much craziness.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2019, 6:29am
I think I've seen this before—it seems familiar—but can't recall for sure. But this is totally batshit. A whole bunch of people make their case that Kubrick's The Shining is not about what you think it is, it's really about ________. And because they all work from the premise that Kubrick is such a genius that every little aspect of the film is intentional—there are no coincidences, there are no errors—then the "real story" is in the smallest details. So, so much craziness.
Me and a friend (big Kubrick fan) watched that on release and we were left completely stunned at how mental it is. Batshit crazy indeed. I felt I needed to see a shrink afterwards.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 May 2019, 7:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Me and a friend (big Kubrick fan) watched that on release and we were left completely stunned at how mental it is. Batshit crazy indeed. I felt I needed to see a shrink afterwards.
Seriously. I found myself getting angry at various points.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2019, 8:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just read reviews on IMDb, sounds horrible and I'd be angry at myself for watching it

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 May 2019, 9:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2019, 8:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/poster ... poster.jpg
I just read reviews on IMDb, sounds horrible and I'd be angry at myself for watching it
I could tolerate it if it were people saying they were inspired by noticed details to think about this theme or that, but it's the claims that Kubrick inserted an elaborate code into the movie and that they had cracked it, that they were, in essence, speaking for Kubrick about what he meant the movie to be. It's that claiming to be in sync with the author that irritates so much. It's snobbery, that everyone who thinks it's about a family under great pressure and alcoholism are too dumb to see it's actually about genocide or the moon landing. People think they need to speaking with authority—I am right and you are wrong—rather than speak from their own interpretation of the work.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Does anyone watch Fleabag? My friend CH won't shut the hell up about it. I saw the first episode and it was OK - we get it, you're pervy. Also, does she break the fourth wall in every episode?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
28 May 2019, 10:23am
Does anyone watch Fleabag? My friend CH won't shut the hell up about it. I saw the first episode and it was OK - we get it, you're pervy. Also, does she break the fourth wall in every episode?
Yeah, she does. I really liked it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 May 2019, 11:17am
JennyB wrote:
28 May 2019, 10:23am
Yeah, she does. I really liked it.
I think I will get into it, I just need to dedicate the time.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2019, 9:29am
People think they need to speaking with authority—I am right and you are wrong—rather than speak from their own interpretation of the work.
That's always annoying.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
24 May 2019, 1:35pm
revbob wrote:
23 May 2019, 8:06pm
I'm currently enjoying the hell out of the Regular Show. The absurdity can be sublime.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_Show
I think it suffered a bit from coming out around the same time as Adventure Time and being compared to it, but it's pretty good.
I love these Mordecai and Rigby raps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
30 May 2019, 4:24pm
Kory wrote:
24 May 2019, 1:35pm
revbob wrote:
23 May 2019, 8:06pm
I'm currently enjoying the hell out of the Regular Show. The absurdity can be sublime.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_Show
I think it suffered a bit from coming out around the same time as Adventure Time and being compared to it, but it's pretty good.
I love these Mordecai and Rigby raps
Plus Mordecai and I have similar feelings about mayo.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc