Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 8:44pm
Five episodes into The Boys and I think it distinctly leans to an indictment of late capitalism rather than human nature. Which is kinda funny given that it's distributed by Amazon, but then late capitalism is drenched in ugly irony.

Also, we cackled like hell over the use of the supe baby at the end of ep 5. We also both looked away at what happened to the dolphin in the van. So you can figure out our values.
Have you read the comic?
No, but I dl'd a couple collections for future reading.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Five episodes into The Boys and I think it distinctly leans to an indictment of late capitalism rather than human nature. Which is kinda funny given that it's distributed by Amazon, but then late capitalism is drenched in ugly irony.

Also, we cackled like hell over the use of the supe baby at the end of ep 5. We also both looked away at what happened to the dolphin in the van. So you can figure out our values.
Have you read the comic?
It's pretty different—the last in the chain of properties that made me stop caring about adaptations being faithful to the source material. My new stance is that if it is successful in telling its own story with the property, then I'm good with it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Have you read the comic?
It's pretty different—the last in the chain of properties that made me stop caring about adaptations being faithful to the source material. My new stance is that if it is successful in telling its own story with the property, then I'm good with it.
Yeah, it's an interpretation, filtered thru another creator(s) and in another medium, so I don't get bothered on that front. It's like a cover of a song. Still, I don't really like superhero movies as a rule because I've established too much in my head from the comics and can't quite divorce myself. But I recognize that that's on me, not the filmmaker has failed or perverted things.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Cobra Kai is the greatest love letter to Kids of the 80's ever. At least in America (you Limey's will have to chime in on your own behalf).

Every decade gets rhapsodized about at some point in the future. The 80's were the decade when I was a kid: when I could just be carefree and not worry about crap like bills, work, kids (even though I love mine), sore backs, car repairs, and so on. It was waking up and not giving a shit because I didn't yet know I had to give a shit about much.

I've seen the decade get parodied. I've seen legit attempts to channel the zeitgeist without success.

This show somehow gets it. It makes me nostalgic, but doesn't make me feel old. It makes me happy, but doesn't make me sad for decades gone by. My kids love it, and it's a part of my childhood that I can share with them.

It allows me to dig Peter Cetera without feeling like a dork (though to be fair, 25 or 6 to 4 is a bad ass track that he handles the lead one).

The writing is great. The acting is great. They don't try too hard. It feels real, not forced.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 8:56pm

Cobra Kai is the greatest love letter to Kids of the 80's ever. At least in America (you Limey's will have to chime in on your own behalf).

Every decade gets rhapsodized about at some point in the future. The 80's were the decade when I was a kid: when I could just be carefree and not worry about crap like bills, work, kids (even though I love mine), sore backs, car repairs, and so on. It was waking up and not giving a shit because I didn't yet know I had to give a shit about much.

I've seen the decade get parodied. I've seen legit attempts to channel the zeitgeist without success.

This show somehow gets it. It makes me nostalgic, but doesn't make me feel old. It makes me happy, but doesn't make me sad for decades gone by. My kids love it, and it's a part of my childhood that I can share with them.

It allows me to dig Peter Cetera without feeling like a dork (though to be fair, 25 or 6 to 4 is a bad ass track that he handles the lead one).

The writing is great. The acting is great. They don't try too hard. It feels real, not forced.
It's also hysterically funny. Especially Johnny.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 8:56pm
It allows me to dig Peter Cetera without feeling like a dork
Intervention time, people!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I finally against my better judgment clicked on that Peter Cetera video. Terrible, horrible stuff, WWHT? (What Would Heston Think).

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

cetera-ble
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

tepista wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:01pm
cetera-ble
You're a genius. :lol:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 1:32pm
I finally against my better judgment clicked on that Peter Cetera video. Terrible, horrible stuff, WWHT? (What Would Heston Think).
It's hilarious how he overly emotes every single line. Cheesy grin after cheesy grin.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss and I finished up the second season of The Boys. Jesus Christ, that is one satisfying show. Pure therapeutic satisfaction for all the evils of our time. Not subtle in any way and not intellectually demanding, but, yeah, therapeutic. And we were genuinely caught off-guard as to the big reveal at the end of the last episode (we each had theories; we were both wrong).

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 8:04pm
The Boss and I finished up the second season of The Boys. Jesus Christ, that is one satisfying show. Pure therapeutic satisfaction for all the evils of our time. Not subtle in any way and not intellectually demanding, but, yeah, therapeutic. And we were genuinely caught off-guard as to the big reveal at the end of the last episode (we each had theories; we were both wrong).
Awesome show, we binged s1 just before s2 started.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 8:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We've done around two eps a day for the last week. I've heard more Billy Joel in a week than the past ten years combined.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 8:55pm
tepista wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 8:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We've done around two eps a day for the last week. I've heard more Billy Joel in a week than the past ten years combined.
Yeah great show for sure.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Watching Angie tribeca, holy shit so funny
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!