Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 4:41pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 4:40pm
I've started the IT Crowd—I'm not liking it as much as Toast, but it shows some promise, 4 episodes in. I will say it's kind of weird watching a show and waiting for the first anti-trans joke to roll around.
oh boy is there one coming
oh GOOD
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 4:59pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
I've started the IT Crowd—I'm not liking it as much as Toast, but it shows some promise, 4 episodes in. I will say it's kind of weird watching a show and waiting for the first anti-trans joke to roll around.
oh GOOD
One of the most hateful pieces of TV!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've just rewatched all four of the Hannibal Lecter films and was thinking about giving the tv series a go. Is it worth a look?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I found the Wikipedia page on Hogan's Heroes to be very informative. I watched it as a kid and enjoyed it. I'm not sure how I would take it today. I know people who had similar criticisms of MASH. People who were in the middle of shit and who said the idea of making a comedy about war is just so far off base and that unless you've been in a war you're not going to get why it is such a horrible idea.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 6:48pm
I found the Wikipedia page on Hogan's Heroes to be very informative. I watched it as a kid and enjoyed it. I'm not sure how I would take it today. I know people who had similar criticisms of MASH. People who were in the middle of shit and who said the idea of making a comedy about war is just so far off base and that unless you've been in a war you're not going to get why it is such a horrible idea.
MASH at least was distinctly antiwar and positioned itself as a substitute for Vietnam. I can appreciate the criticism of the overtly funny first several seasons—I think I read that the author of the original MASH novel hated the series for tht—but there is a humanist foundation to it all. HH was just this weird fantasy where war is kinda fun, the enemy are kinda sympathetic goofs—even Hochsteder (sp?), the Gestapo major, is more Clouseau than sadist—and one of greatest crimes against humanity is apparently not even happening. There's a complete lack of conscience, for lack of a better word, to HH that makes it so unsettling.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 5:29pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 4:59pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
oh GOOD
One of the most hateful pieces of TV!
Huh. Would you suggest I just stop now? Like I said, haven't been totally in love with it but it's had a couple moments.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 7:12pm
revbob wrote:
MASH at least was distinctly antiwar and positioned itself as a substitute for Vietnam. I can appreciate the criticism of the overtly funny first several seasons—I think I read that the author of the original MASH novel hated the series for tht—but there is a humanist foundation to it all. HH was just this weird fantasy where war is kinda fun, the enemy are kinda sympathetic goofs—even Hochsteder (sp?), the Gestapo major, is more Clouseau than sadist—and one of greatest crimes against humanity is apparently not even happening. There's a complete lack of conscience, for lack of a better word, to HH that makes it so unsettling.
I definitely see the distinction between the two and dont disagree. I've tried watching MASH in recent years and while it has some moments it no longer tickles my funny bone either.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I definitely see the distinction between the two and dont disagree. I've tried watching MASH in recent years and while it has some moments it no longer tickles my funny bone either.
The History channel here used to air it, and while I still love the funny seasons (despite some iffy humour that hasn't aged well at all, the latter seasons, when it became almost a dramedy, grew on me. It can be rightfully accused as being painfully earnest and the humour rather stale in those later seasons, but it did aspire to be more than just 23 minutes of ho ho ho. As I said above, I appreciate the humanism at its core, especially when network tv was getting dumber.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 6:03pm
I've just rewatched all four of the Hannibal Lecter films and was thinking about giving the tv series a go. Is it worth a look?
I loved it. Gets a bit weird in places but otherwise brilliant.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 7:38pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
The History channel here used to air it, and while I still love the funny seasons (despite some iffy humour that hasn't aged well at all, the latter seasons, when it became almost a dramedy, grew on me. It can be rightfully accused as being painfully earnest and the humour rather stale in those later seasons, but it did aspire to be more than just 23 minutes of ho ho ho. As I said above, I appreciate the humanism at its core, especially when network tv was getting dumber.
Yeah this was also a show I watched when I was young and stupid. At the time I found the latter years to just not be funny.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah this was also a show I watched when I was young and stupid. At the time I found the latter years to just not be funny.
I mentioned that when David Ogden Stiers died, the episodes where Winchester is humanized, less of an unchanged pompous ass, are ones that I've come to appreciate now. One that stands out is when he has a near-death encounter and becomes obsessed with the idea of what happens when people die.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 8:23pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I mentioned that when David Ogden Stiers died, the episodes where Winchester is humanized, less of an unchanged pompous ass, are ones that I've come to appreciate now. One that stands out is when he has a near-death encounter and becomes obsessed with the idea of what happens when people die.
I remember the time when he got hooked on speed.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 9:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 8:23pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I remember the time when he got hooked on speed.
He was way punk before the punks were born.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
Couldn't stomach more than two or three episodes.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Olaf wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 9:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
Couldn't stomach more than two or three episodes.
Did it make you hungry?