Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Can’t wait for the episode where Mr. Fischoeder loses the mayoral election and rallies an angry mob, with Jimmy Pesto being the only person to show up.
Comment at The A/V Club about this. That would be a damned funny throwing-salt-in-the-wound move.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss and I started watching The Boys yesterday (2 eps in). I think revbob mentioned it being good and he wasn't wrong about Phish, so I thought I'd dl the series. We've enjoyed what we've seen so far. It strikes me as a quick test on a person's view of human nature. If you regard it as showing that if super-powered people existed, they'd be corrupt assholes, you have a pretty jaundiced view of human beings (in essence, we're assholes and our assholery expands with our ability and opportunity). If you see the show as being how late capitalism—celebrity idolatry, pervasive social media, corporate power and branding—corrupts whatever it touches, then you're more in line with a leftist (tho not all leftists or only leftists) view that ideology teaches and rewards people to be assholes to one other. I'm very much of the leftist, late capitalist side, but I like that, thus far, it's accessible and supportive to either interpretation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 1:16pm
The Boss and I started watching The Boys yesterday (2 eps in). I think revbob mentioned it being good and he wasn't wrong about Phish, so I thought I'd dl the series. We've enjoyed what we've seen so far. It strikes me as a quick test on a person's view of human nature. If you regard it as showing that if super-powered people existed, they'd be corrupt assholes, you have a pretty jaundiced view of human beings (in essence, we're assholes and our assholery expands with our ability and opportunity). If you see the show as being how late capitalism—celebrity idolatry, pervasive social media, corporate power and branding—corrupts whatever it touches, then you're more in line with a leftist (tho not all leftists or only leftists) view that ideology teaches and rewards people to be assholes to one other. I'm very much of the leftist, late capitalist side, but I like that, thus far, it's accessible and supportive to either interpretation.
Agree on all of the above. Im not sure how true it is to the source material so some might cry foul here or there. Good use of music as well even if Huey is a Billy JoeL fan.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 3:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Agree on all of the above. Im not sure how true it is to the source material so some might cry foul here or there. Good use of music as well even if Huey is a Billy JoeL fan.
I've noticed a few recent shows suggest that Xers are coming to dominate the entertainment industry, as we're getting less Boomer soundtrack standbys and more varied Xer stuff. I did a serious double take when I heard "Neat Neat Neat" in one of those first two eps.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Just started watching Arcane. I'm not a gamer but I am enjoying this. And it's a Netflix production. Go fig.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 3:33pm
revbob wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 3:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've noticed a few recent shows suggest that Xers are coming to dominate the entertainment industry, as we're getting less Boomer soundtrack standbys and more varied Xer stuff. I did a serious double take when I heard "Neat Neat Neat" in one of those first two eps.
Yeah definitely small wins, but I'll take them.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 9:40pm
Reservation Dogs - Native American teenagers growing up on a reservation in Oklahoma

Opening song is I Wanna be Your Dog and then some Link Wray.
wife and I fucking LOVED this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 4:29pm
revbob wrote:
Reservation Dogs - Native American teenagers growing up on a reservation in Oklahoma

I dl'd it for the Boss some time ago and she spent a day last week watching it. She seriously dug it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:

Willie Jack is the best.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 5:15pm
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:

Willie Jack is the best.
Yes, as it moved along she totally became our fave character

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Five episodes into The Boys and I think it distinctly leans to an indictment of late capitalism rather than human nature. Which is kinda funny given that it's distributed by Amazon, but then late capitalism is drenched in ugly irony.

Also, we cackled like hell over the use of the supe baby at the end of ep 5. We also both looked away at what happened to the dolphin in the van. So you can figure out our values.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 8:44pm
Also, we cackled like hell over the use of the supe baby at the end of ep 5. We also both looked away at what happened to the dolphin in the van. So you can figure out our values.
That you won't eat canned tuna that has dolphin in it, but you're indifferent about canned tuna with baby in it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 8:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That you won't eat canned tuna that has dolphin in it, but you're indifferent about canned tuna with baby in it.
Not the answer I was seeking, but not incorrect, either.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Five episodes into The Boys and I think it distinctly leans to an indictment of late capitalism rather than human nature. Which is kinda funny given that it's distributed by Amazon, but then late capitalism is drenched in ugly irony.

Have you read the comic?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc